Aldeer.com

Smoke sauage

Posted By: bar_7mag

Smoke sauage - 10/20/16 05:13 AM

Anyone on here smoke their own sauage? Ive got all the stuff to do it and plan on trying it this yr. If so what seasoning do y'all use? You mix any pork fat with it? How much seasoning and fat per pound of sauage? How many hours you smoke it? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: mikewhandley

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/20/16 01:09 PM

I use legg seasoning(jalepeno smoked sausage) and a 70% venison/30% pork mixture. I typically use smoke for the first 2 hours then just heat to the correct internal temperature.
Posted By: tpageal

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/20/16 10:05 PM

There's some variables involved that either get worked out with trial and error or having someone that has learned from mistakes really explain it or show you.

Sausage is generic. Snack sticks, summer sausage? Type of smoker your going to use. I have a smoker where I hang the sausage and you have to be real careful not to burn the ends if your doing a smaller casing sausage, snack sticks.

The biggest challenge can be learning stuffing the casings. You can learn a lot by watching you tube videos by LEM etc. The temp of the meat prior to stuffing makes a huge difference with smaller or thinner casings but not so much on larger thicker casings. Not letting air get into the casing so you don't end up with inconsistent cooking etc. Watch some videos. And don't mix up 25lbs of meat for your first attempt. Do a small batch that's manageable while your learning.

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/20/16 10:12 PM

And don't try natural casings to start with. You can blow holes in those really easy and once you have everything mixed with the cure it's on like donkey long. You don't want to end up trying to get the sausage out of a split casing and placing it back in the stuffer. You can be in a difficult battle real quick. I've done that before and it ain't a fun experience
Posted By: 59Hunter

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/20/16 10:22 PM

Can't believe this thread hasn't drawn a Winston county mom joke yet.

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/20/16 10:25 PM

Well I sure tried to provide good advice and teed it up to
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/20/16 10:30 PM

Only when the gf is out of town
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/21/16 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: bar_7mag
Anyone on here smoke their own sauage? Ive got all the stuff to do it and plan on trying it this yr. If so what seasoning do y'all use? You mix any pork fat with it? How much seasoning and fat per pound of sauage? How many hours you smoke it? Thanks in advance.

Garr, I've done it for last few years and like to add fatty pork like a pork butt or country ribs rather than just plain pork fat. I like it to sit in cooler or fridge for several days to get flavor. Grind twice and mix well. You have my number call if u have questions Sunday evening. Get the hi temperature cheese from LEM and you'll make your own summer sausage and links or patties that puts Smokehouse's jalapeņo cheese sausage to shame for cheap. I like to use applewood or cherry wood and check internal temp after 2-3 hours. Package will give you internal temperature depending on what your making. Jerky is easy too. Plus you know what you put in it. MW
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/21/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb

damn! I prolly wouldnt have said that on this board
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/21/16 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: tpageal
There's some variables involved that either get worked out with trial and error or having someone that has learned from mistakes really explain it or show you.

Sausage is generic. Snack sticks, summer sausage? Type of smoker your going to use. I have a smoker where I hang the sausage and you have to be real careful not to burn the ends if your doing a smaller casing sausage, snack sticks.

The biggest challenge can be learning stuffing the casings. You can learn a lot by watching you tube videos by LEM etc. The temp of the meat prior to stuffing makes a huge difference with smaller or thinner casings but not so much on larger thicker casings. Not letting air get into the casing so you don't end up with inconsistent cooking etc. Watch some videos. And don't mix up 25lbs of meat for your first attempt. Do a small batch that's manageable while your learning.

He's right on the money. Remember to wash casings before stuffing. With casings you'll get better with time. It's not super hard but you'll overstuff some or mess up tying ends at first. If a casing breaks just make a patty out of that meat. Practice
Posted By: Geno

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/21/16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Dkhargroves

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb

damn! I prolly wouldnt have said that on this board

You aren't as brave as Beadlejuice.
Posted By: bar_7mag

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/22/16 12:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. I lost interest on the post due to freaking clowns on here.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/22/16 05:40 AM

Originally Posted By: bar_7mag
Thanks for the replies. I lost interest on the post due to freaking clowns on here.

Don't lose interest. It's nothing to be ashamed of there I'd just a time and place for everything.

Re: Smoke sauage - 10/22/16 07:32 AM

PM Sent bar_7mag
© 2024 ALDEER.COM