Aldeer.com

Canceling season

Posted By: ghost rabbit

Canceling season - 10/13/16 04:10 PM

My brother was talking to an older man last week about the dry weather and hunting and he said he remembered them closing season before due to droughts. Anyone old enough to know if there is any truth to this or remember it happening? I think he said the reasoning was because of starting fires.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Canceling season - 10/13/16 04:11 PM

Don't remember it happening in Bama. I did have it happen to me on a Montana elk hunt once.
Posted By: OcToBeRDrEaMiN67

Re: Canceling season - 10/13/16 09:39 PM

Bow season was postponed here in Alabama back in the 90's or early 2000's.Not sue if it was county,state or N.F but I do remember something about it.I hadn't been bow hunting too many years at the time.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Canceling season - 10/13/16 09:50 PM

I don't recall a postponement back then. Do you remember what it was for?
Posted By: jbc

Re: Canceling season - 10/13/16 10:13 PM

There was a thread the other day suggesting due to threat of fires.

Made no sense to me
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 06:42 AM

I heard deer season has been cancelled until further notice. Too dry to hunt.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 06:56 AM

The state has talked about it before and i believe it was delayed, or come real close. They don't want a shucks ton of people camping, building fires and smoking and thumping cigs. I remember it well, and if it doesn't rain soon, i can guarantee you they'll think about delaying it again.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 07:46 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
The state has talked about it before and i believe it was delayed, or come real close. They don't want a shucks ton of people camping, building fires and smoking and thumping cigs. I remember it well, and if it doesn't rain soon, i can guarantee you they'll think about delaying it again.

Guess I'll just be an outlaw. I'm going in the morning

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 08:24 AM

What year was the delayed season? I'm trying to remember one and cannot, a reason why, the year or anything about something like that.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 08:26 AM

The way I fling arrows, they might ought to... wink
Posted By: AC870

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 08:47 AM

I think they'd delay back in the old days cause building a warming fire was pretty standard practice.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 11:04 AM

I can't remember it actually being delayed, but it came close. They were announcing it in the newspapers and on the news, but then we got rain. It could have been delayed once, i can't remember.
Posted By: Smells

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 12:01 PM

No way they could alter season on the eve of the opener. If it was going to happen they would have already done it. I think someone is just trying to stir something up.
Posted By: STRING

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: OcToBeRDrEaMiN67
Bow season was postponed here in Alabama back in the 90's or early 2000's.Not sue if it was county,state or N.F but I do remember something about it.I hadn't been bow hunting too many years at the time.

Not sure of the year, but I remember it. I think it was a 2 or 3 week postponement because of dry weather and threat of fires.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 12:13 PM

1). If you see someone building a "warming fire" tomorrow, put him down like you would a rabid dog. He needs it.

2). I never recall season delayed on private land. Maybe public land which I've never spent much time on, but not private.

3). The Conservation Dept. has taught me one thing this summer: Screw the wildlife and everything and everybody in the way. THIS IS BUSINESS!! Therefor season will NOT be delayed!! Some people gotta make their money. The Conservation Dept. let it be known, all decisions are based on $$.
Posted By: Smells

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: centralala
1). If you see someone building a "warming fire" tomorrow, put him down like you would a rabid dog. He needs it.

2). I never recall season delayed on private land. Maybe public land which I've never spent much time on, but not private.

3). The Conservation Dept. has taught me one thing this summer: Screw the wildlife and everything and everybody in the way. THIS IS BUSINESS!! Therefor season will NOT be delayed!! Some people gotta make their money. The Conservation Dept. let it be known, all decisions are based on $$.

Huh?!

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 01:25 PM

Quote:
Not sure of the year, but I remember it. I think it was a 2 or 3 week postponement because of dry weather and threat of fires.

Still looking for a year. I've lived here 49 of my 50 years and don't recall a delay of deer season in the 1990s or 2000s due to weather/drought.

Not that it didn't happen but I'd like to know the year and circumstances.
Posted By: bholmes

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 01:38 PM

3). The Conservation Dept. has taught me one thing this summer: Screw the wildlife and everything and everybody in the way. THIS IS BUSINESS!! Therefor season will NOT be delayed!! Some people gotta make their money. The Conservation Dept. let it be known, all decisions are based on $$. [/quote]

That is what I heard at the game check meeting. This is a business and we are going to run it like one.

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 01:46 PM

Who said that and at what meeting?
Posted By: centralala

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Smells
Originally Posted By: centralala

Huh?!

1). Humor at an earlier post.
2). Response to earlier posts with what I recall
3). Decisions made NOT based on biology, biologist recommendation, or studies.

Does that help??
Posted By: blade

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 02:07 PM

Been hunting alabama for 40 plus years never remember a delay in opening in south Alabama.
Posted By: STRING

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:

Still looking for a year. I've lived here 49 of my 50 years and don't recall a delay of deer season in the 1990s or 2000s due to weather/drought.

Not that it didn't happen but I'd like to know the year and circumstances.

It official, Im losing my memory. I called GW office and talked with warden with 45 yrs of service. He said it hasn't happened in his career....but did happen sometimes in the early 60's he was told. Sorry guys.....damn dementia.
Posted By: CAM

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 04:56 PM

I'm 65 years old and I remember Wheeler NWR cancelling Squirrel Season one year before I was hunting age due to drought. There were no deer in North Alabama then wink
Posted By: WildlifeBiologist

Re: Canceling season - 10/14/16 10:25 PM

To my knowledge, there was never internal talk of delays during my 18 years at DCNR. That is Waffle House urban legend that gets recycled every few years.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM