Aldeer.com

WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget?

Posted By: pvillehunter

WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 10:53 AM

My hunting land is in Dallas County. I have had mixed results on various seed blends because of the prairie soil type. I was going to experiment with the WMS this year. Has anyone had better luck with the AL Blend or Deer Magnet in prairie soils?
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 11:47 AM

We have sandy/loamy soils at our place. We plant both of those and they both do quite well.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 11:56 AM

If you are tight on $$$ just go with the Alabama blend. The magnet has a little more clover but for an extra $10 per bag, it is your choice.

I have prairie soil at my place and both blends have done very well. Of course this year, I just need some rain.

This Alabama blend only.

Alabama Blend with one bag White Inst. winter greens
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 12:35 PM

I don't know why it's different, but doesn't WMS say the Magnet ($10 more) will cover 1 acre sand says the Alabama blend is only for 1/2 acre. Again, not sure why when they are both 50 pound bags, but if that's accurate, the Magnet would be more acreage for the money.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 12:40 PM

I have a small plot in Marion Junction that I'm not even gonna bother with this year because it is so dry. I'm a tight wad though, I always just plant feed oats from the co-op. I have noticed I don't need as much lime in that prairie soil as I do down here in LA.
Posted By: 270wsm

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 03:39 PM

Muzzie,

That 2nd pic is awesome! Looks like a place I used to hunt and still miss today.

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 03:41 PM

I think the coverage is different because of the amount of clover seed that is in the Magnet. If you are like me though, you still base you rate on a bag doing a half acre. That is why I would lean more to the Alabama blend than the Magnet if money was the slightest of my concerns.

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: 270wsm
Muzzie,

That 2nd pic is awesome! Looks like a place I used to hunt and still miss today.

Thanks. The power company was kind enough to drive one of their big trucks right down the side of our planted plot but they didnt have much of an option.
Posted By: tbest3

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 05:16 PM

I planted deer magnet last year and it did excellent, didn't plant any of the bama blend but from what I hear all of WMS products are good stuff.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/12/16 05:52 PM

We have planted both of them In South Dallas for 4 years now and both have done excellent every year in both Prairie and Sandy loam.
Posted By: BOWTHUG

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/13/16 01:24 AM

I planted some WMS Alabama blend last year in bad dirt and it did great. Deer mowed it down. East Marengo County
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/13/16 07:06 AM

It's very good seed.
Posted By: Narrow Gap

Re: WMS Alabama Blend or WMS Deer Manget? - 10/13/16 11:15 AM

Bought 2 Bags of the WMS Deer Magnet and am anxious to see how it does.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM