Aldeer.com

Hunting observations

Posted By: 40Bucks

Hunting observations - 09/27/16 01:13 PM

Do you ever write down notes or observations at the end of the day, like weather info., or animals you saw or keep a record of the details of your hunt?
What information do you think is important to keep up with?
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Hunting observations - 09/27/16 02:26 PM

I buy a new notebook every September. Write Deer Season 2016 on the front. Then the whole month of September, I write down the results of all my camera surveys and work done during the month, places scouted, my thoughts on said places, and any other detail I think I may want to reflect on some day. If I am hunting a public property, I get an extra copy of the permit or map to write down where the stand locations are so I won't forget. If it is private land I print out an aerial photo on Google earth and do the same. When the season rolls around, I write down the date, what stand I'm in, times in the stand, weather conditions including barometric pressure, deer seen/killed/heard, where the deer came from and what times I saw the deer. Yes.....I have OCD. I've fiddled with a few apps but none are to my liking as of yet.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Hunting observations - 09/27/16 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: slippinlipjr
I buy a new notebook every September. Write Deer Season 2016 on the front. Then the whole month of September, I write down the results of all my camera surveys and work done during the month, places scouted, my thoughts on said places, and any other detail I think I may want to reflect on some day. If I am hunting a public property, I get an extra copy of the permit or map to write down where the stand locations are so I won't forget. If it is private land I print out an aerial photo on Google earth and do the same. When the season rolls around, I write down the date, what stand I'm in, times in the stand, weather conditions including barometric pressure, deer seen/killed/heard, where the deer came from and what times I saw the deer. Yes.....I have OCD. I've fiddled with a few apps but none are to my liking as of yet.

Doesn't that get confusing, since you write deer season 2016 on all of them? grin
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Hunting observations - 09/27/16 03:11 PM

I have been trying to come up with a system of some sort which would give me similar details to what you record in your notebook. But methods I have used in the past end up being more difficult and time consuming. There's no substitute for the small details, but taking the time to write it all down after each hunt can be lugubrious. I need to create some sort of form with places for check marks and written comments.
I had not thought of including info from trail camera pics. That's a good idea.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Hunting observations - 09/27/16 03:24 PM

Our club does an observation log. Each hunter is supposed to write down the number of bucks, does, fawns, other, turkeys, and hogs seen. Along with the area they hunted and AM or PM.
Posted By: 5Pages

Re: Hunting observations - 09/27/16 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
Our club does an observation log. Each hunter is supposed to write down the number of bucks, does, fawns, other, turkeys, and hogs seen. Along with the area they hunted and AM or PM.

I doubt anyone ever lies when filling out this log. 10 pt becomes a spike in the notes and spikes become 10 pts. rofl
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Hunting observations - 09/27/16 04:31 PM

I keep one on my phone. Where I hunted, what I saw, what time I saw them etc etc
© 2024 ALDEER.COM