Aldeer.com

Coffee breath and scent control

Posted By: Remington270

Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 08:56 PM

Most every deer hunter I know drinks coffee in the AM before hunting. As we all know that gives you kickin coffee breath. Anybody think it has an effect?
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 09:03 PM

If they smell your breath the game was over long ago.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 09:15 PM

I remember an author named Paul Brunner that kept a basket of apples to eat before going to the stand.
Posted By: Beak_Buster

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 09:25 PM

I actually saw a scent control tooth paste at Gander Mt. today.

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Bustinbeards
If they smell your breath the game was over long ago.

How so? That stuff stinks and travels a ways
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 09:44 PM

Deer like coffee, but they like Tobacco better. And I know without a doubt, they like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They don't like stinking feet, armpits, and anuses.

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 09:50 PM

You just took it too far metalmuncher grin
Posted By: jono23

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 09:54 PM

I've wondered this too...but if I'm drinking coffee and planning on climbing up in a stand..I got bigger issues than a deer smelling my breath.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 10:05 PM

[quote=jono23]I've wondered this too...but if I'm drinking coffee and planning on climbing up in a stand..I got bigger issues than a deer smelling my breath. [/quote

] rofl
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/01/16 10:09 PM

20 Years ago they sold chlorophyll pills to take for stinky breath and gaseousness but for some reason they took off market. I remember they were all the rage but only lasted 2 years.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 05:17 AM

I'm giving up my down wind side regardless.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 05:34 AM

Don't y'all think they can smell your innards. Coffee or some other scent coverup doesn't matter when it comes to your breath in my opionion.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 07:13 AM

[quote=metalmuncher]Deer like coffee, but they like Tobacco better. And I know without a doubt, they like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They don't like stinking feet, armpits, and anuses. [/quote

You mean they don't like Hitlary supporters?
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Turkey
I remember an author named Paul Brunner that kept a basket of apples to eat before going to the stand.

I've heard the apple remedy as well. I usually don't eat or drink anything before hunting, though. At work after a cup of coffee I swish out with some cold water fairly vigorously.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: metalmuncher
Deer like coffee, but they like Tobacco better. And I know without a doubt, they like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They don't like stinking feet, armpits, and anuses.

They must. I usually have to put down the cigar/cigarette to choot em.
Posted By: NickC

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 08:05 AM

I drink hot tea with honey just to avoid this problem AND coffee gives me the jitters if I am trying to shoot.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 08:18 AM

pffttt......I had this...

sitting exactly where it is in that picture, still steaming hot, when I shot this guy, standing less than 100yds away...

Posted By: AC870

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 08:22 AM

Originally Posted By: metalmuncher

Turns out me and deer got something in common. I don't like stinky pits, anuses etc either. laugh
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 09:10 AM

My philosophy has always been do what you can for scent cover, but in the end if they smell your breath, they smelled you long before.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 09:37 AM

I fart on the regular and killed my 2 best bucks on an early morning hunt after building a steaming log cabin not 100 yards from my tree. killed one of them dead down wind from me and my pile. yall keep worrying about all that stuff and I`m just gonna keep hunting the way I hunt.

side note: I was beginning to think crapping in the woods on the way to my tree was good luck. I missed the biggest buck I`ve ever seen after relieving myself of some evil spirits. I climbed down to handle business then went for a little stroll in a fresh clear cut. a buddy of mine evidently had the same thought so we started walking a ridge and the he stood on the next ridge over. I shot 3 times then wanted to wrap my gun around a tree. I get reminded of this one quite often.
Posted By: ACT3

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 09:49 AM

Let me preface this by saying I try to be as scent free as I can, but......... after 16 years of being a guide for my kids, I have seen deer walk through fresh urine deposited from the double ladder as well as smell the fresh pile deposited by a tree (that I didn't realize was in sight of the stand). That being said, I don't worry about my coffee breath too much.

IMO it all depends on the mood of the deer at that particular moment.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter
I fart on the regular and killed my 2 best bucks on an early morning hunt after building a steaming log cabin not 100 yards from my tree. killed one of them dead down wind from me and my pile. yall keep worrying about all that stuff and I`m just gonna keep hunting the way I hunt.

side note: I was beginning to think crapping in the woods on the way to my tree was good luck. I missed the biggest buck I`ve ever seen after relieving myself of some evil spirits. I climbed down to handle business then went for a little stroll in a fresh clear cut. a buddy of mine evidently had the same thought so we started walking a ridge and the he stood on the next ridge over. I shot 3 times then wanted to wrap my gun around a tree. I get reminded of this one quite often.

I've never been that lucky. My uncle accidentally relieved himself in the hood of his coveralls when I was younger. Didn't get them cleared out the way far enough. He was on his 4 wheeler and I rode behind him on mine back down the mountain. He kept stopping and smelling around and looking back at me. I smelled it to and I just kept shrugging my shoulders. We couldn't figure out why we kept smelling it. Never laughed so hard in my life
Posted By: GruntSpcWeller

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 09:58 AM

Keep your mouth closed. To easy.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 10:08 AM

I must hunt stupid deer....
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 01:52 PM

I would think any odor that does not smell like human odor would not bother them or put them on high alert.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 02:28 PM

If the wind is in your face and they are in front of you, they won't smell your coffee breath no matter how bad it is.
Posted By: OcToBeRDrEaMiN67

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 02:40 PM

Eat a biscuit smothered in some good ol grease gravy then chase it down with a couple cups of coffee.Ten minutes after you are in your stand something miraculous happens that will totally distract deer from your coffee breath.
Posted By: PineStalker89

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: quailman
I must hunt stupid deer....

Right...
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: jawbone
If the wind is in your face and they are in front of you, they won't smell your coffee breath no matter how bad it is.

Pretty simple
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 05:56 PM

If you wouldn't have drank that 12 pack the night before lol....You wouldn't need all that ol coffee ... sick I kill em better with beer breath.... smile
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 06:00 PM

Y'all are overthinking this stuff.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 06:14 PM

^^^ Yep
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 07:27 PM

Every place I hunt is close to or not all that far from where people live. Plenty of mornings I can smell breakfast cooking. Deer that live near people get used to certain smells and noises associated with people outside of their homes.
It's smells they're not used to in certain places that'll run them off. They don't like stinky people anywhere.
Deer around my house are used to seeing us and are not threatened if you just go about your business a lot of the time, but not always
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Coffee breath and scent control - 09/02/16 08:05 PM

yall have been watching wayyyyyyyy too many hunting commercials. you can take a shower in your wifes bath and body works body wash and wash your clothes in fresh mountain breeze detergent and wear axe bodyspray and kill deer if you hunt the wind. ill put it this way, hogs have a better nose than deer and elkhunter and i killed 19 the other night and we both bathed in bug spray, i was smoking cigarettes, my wife washed my clothes in gain, and we were sweating profusely.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM