Aldeer.com

Dirt Bike for deer hunting?

Posted By: Remington270

Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 06:58 AM

At the risk of getting laughed at, I'll ask this. Anyone use a dirtbike for deer hunting? I don't even own one, but I've got a little lease over here the owner doesn't want trucks on, so the roads don't get messed up. I've thought about getting a cheap dirt bike.
I read the book by Dr. Bob Shepard, and he actually has a dirt bike specifically made for hunting he uses. Anyone else use one?
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 07:21 AM

There is a Kiwi on youtube that turns deer into "backpacks" to pack out.
Assuming the deer wasn't an absolute brute and your of average-good strength I could see the technique working.

Posted By: James

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 07:29 AM

I have a crf 50 for sale smile
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 07:33 AM

I think a dirt bike would work well for harvesting a deer. Street bikes work fine, why wouldn't a dirt bike?

Posted By: Atoler

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 08:28 AM

^lucky to be alive!

Don't see why you couldn't do it, but dirtbikes ain't worth a crap in the mud. Buy one of those $200 electric scooters and see if the landowner will let you drive the truck to get a deer.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 08:50 AM

too loud
Posted By: Dangerlangus

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 08:57 AM

I have used a rokon bike to hunt remote areas. Use to be my grandfathers, and he let me fix it up and use it. I will say it makes pulling a deer out of the bottom of a holler very easy. The front rim is hollow and I put water in it to keep it from coming off the ground on steep inclines.

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter
too loud

That's what I was wondering, but I'd really just be putting along instead of walking.

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Dangerlangus
I have used a rokon bike to hunt remote areas. Use to be my grandfathers, and he let me fix it up and use it. I will say it makes pulling a deer out of the bottom of a holler very easy. The front rim is hollow and I put water in it to keep it from coming off the ground on steep inclines.

That's the type Dr. Shepard uses. I bet it would be a sight to see!
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:18 AM

Buy a bicycle.

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:19 AM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Buy a bicycle.

I've got a mountain bike. Thinking hard about using that. I'm just worried I'll get sweaty and then cold. It's going to be hot on Oct 1 opener over here!
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:22 AM

Walmart sells a 100cc electric dirt bike I thought seriously about a couple of seasons ago. I think it was less than 400.00.

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:23 AM

Originally Posted By: leroycnbucks
Walmart sells a 100cc electric dirt bike I thought seriously about a couple of seasons ago. I think it was less than 400.00.

I saw the Coleman mini bike there yesterday for $499.

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:23 AM

It's pretty small though.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Remington270
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Buy a bicycle.

I've got a mountain bike. Thinking hard about using that. I'm just worried I'll get sweaty and then cold. It's going to be hot on Oct 1 opener over here!

I used one all the time when I lived in MS. Unless you have a lot of uphill climbs or the road sucks, it's actually cooler than walking.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:25 AM

It's called a Razor MX650. $413.13

Prepare for epic off-road excitement with the Dirt Rocket MX650 by Razor. Made to hit dirt hard and fast, the supercross-inspired Razor MX650 is a high performance motocross bike that runs on electricity — no gas means you'll go green while you go fast! This innovative electric motocross bike features a variable speed, chain-driven motor, dual suspension and oversized pneumatic tires built for off-roading. Take your Dirt Rocket MX650 out on the course for up to 40 min. or 10 miles of continuous fun on a single charge! The Razor MX650 is built with safety and comfort in mind, not just performance. The adjustable riser handlebars ensure a customized fit, and hand operated front and rear disc brakes and twist-grip acceleration control put the driver in command. At speeds up to 17 mph, the pared-down MX650 leaves its competition in the dust. The Razor Dirt Rocket MX 650 is suitable for children ages 16 and up and has a maximum weight capacity of 220 lbs.

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 09:35 AM

Originally Posted By: leroycnbucks
It's called a Razor MX650. $413.13

Prepare for epic off-road excitement with the Dirt Rocket MX650 by Razor. Made to hit dirt hard and fast, the supercross-inspired Razor MX650 is a high performance motocross bike that runs on electricity — no gas means you'll go green while you go fast! This innovative electric motocross bike features a variable speed, chain-driven motor, dual suspension and oversized pneumatic tires built for off-roading. Take your Dirt Rocket MX650 out on the course for up to 40 min. or 10 miles of continuous fun on a single charge! The Razor MX650 is built with safety and comfort in mind, not just performance. The adjustable riser handlebars ensure a customized fit, and hand operated front and rear disc brakes and twist-grip acceleration control put the driver in command. At speeds up to 17 mph, the pared-down MX650 leaves its competition in the dust. The Razor Dirt Rocket MX 650 is suitable for children ages 16 and up and has a maximum weight capacity of 220 lbs.

Nice! I think Hollywud might have had one of those a while back.
Posted By: Reno

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter
too loud

Depends on the bike.. a race bike would be loud but an older XR honda is no louder than a fourwheeler.
Posted By: Flyway

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 11:33 AM

Have you thought about how you'd get one out if you killed one?

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Flyway

I have, and that's what's preventing me from actually buying one. Land owner will probably let us back there if we actually did kill one though.
Posted By: Bait57

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 01:25 PM

Back in Va we used mtn bikes a lot. We even made a cart to pull behind them. The public ground there is a lot different than here. There are only one or two roads thru 100,000 plus acres and only a hiking trail or two. We would use the bikes to haul in our gear instead of walking in.

Several places that I hunted had a 3-4 hour hike in. So the bike came in handy. Getting away from other people is how I like to hunt. Sometimes we would even camp so we could haul everything on the carts.

We also carries roll up plastic sleds for dragging the deer out.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 01:32 PM

Just get a decent mountain bike. Unless you want the deer to hear you coming.
Posted By: iBowhunt

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 04:33 PM

I ride a yz250f and its way too loud for hunting, deer can hear it from miles away!
Posted By: RareBreed

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/29/16 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: James
I have a crf 50 for sale smile

How much you want for it?
Posted By: auburn17

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/30/16 08:21 AM

I would look at a moped instead of a dirt bike. Has a wide platform/footrest and some have rear racks. Much quieter than a dirt bike.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/30/16 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Flyway

I have toyed with this idea myself...mainly because dirt bikes seem to be a little cheaper than 4 wheelers (obviously because they're not as "useful") and you can get them in places a 4 wheeler won't go. They make those heavy duty tarp things that are used to drag a deer without tearing up the hide. I've thought about fixing up a way to hook it to the back of a dirt bike and just dragging the thing out of the woods (at a relatively slow pace of course)
Posted By: Kounse

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/30/16 11:25 AM

How far are you going to have to walk to get to deer who haven't been alerted of your arrival? Geezzzzz... I would not use a dirk bike unless I hunted a huge piece of property!!!!

Well, maybe if it's no louder than an ATV/UTV.
Posted By: Rip Torn

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/30/16 03:46 PM

[quote=Remington270]At the risk of getting laughed at, I'll ask this. Anyone use a dirtbike for deer hunting? I don't even own one, but I've got a little lease over here the owner doesn't want trucks on, so the roads don't get messed up. I've thought about getting a cheap dirt bike.

I'm not laughing. I do it regularly here in Bama. Not having seen many bikes, the deer are less disturbed by it than a 4 wheeler = humanoids n death. Anyway, I use a Husqvarna 501 dual sport (on/off road) that is well muffled and not at all as loud as a MX bike. The maneuverability on trails and around/thru brush n trees is unmatched. I'll ride into an area to scout and do the last 200yds on foot - same with hunting. I'll drag a deer out with a rope to a 4 wheeler or truck accessible place, no worries. I like to hunt away from the road, trail guys and the maddening crowd and the dirty bike is perfect. Any 250 to 450 four stroke trail bike with a stock or forestry approved muffler - even less noisy- is workable. Hell, I've been know to ride in on my Ducati ADV streetbike with the rifle in a scabbard - take off from the Gump to the land and down the forest trail. I'm jonesing for an electric bike, which I've test driven, but I'm waiting for the price to come down some more - it's higher than a cat's back to date.
I'll post up a pic or two soon.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/30/16 04:38 PM

anyone have any ideas (or seen it done) on a way to attach one of those 2-wheel game carts to the back of a dirt bike? I'd thought about trying to fashion up some homemade bracket that attached to the back wheel hub, where you could "hitch up" one of those game carts. Obviously you'd have to take it slow, but I gotta think you could rig it up with some redneck ingenuity...
Posted By: auburn17

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 08/31/16 01:01 PM

http://gas2.org/2014/09/06/motoped-launches-off-road-moped/

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?7871-Another-hunt-another-deer/page2
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Dirt Bike for deer hunting? - 09/04/16 09:55 PM

That's pretty cool.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM