Aldeer.com

Camo and 1st year bowhunting help

Posted By: swanny

Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 12:55 PM

Hey everybody what's the difference between mossy oak and real tree I'm looking to buy some scent lok camo for bow hunting but I don't know what the difference between the two. Also does anybody have any tips for a first year bow hunter?
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 01:14 PM

There's no difference between those two camo patterns when it comes to one being better than the other.

The effectiveness of scent lok material is argumentative at best.

Quit watching the commercials on the outdoor channel unless you enjoy being suckered into buying things.

Learn how to hunt the wind.
Posted By: Bait57

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 01:23 PM

If you look at old pictures of hunts they didn't have camo. Flannel and jeans were the hunting clothes. Deer don't see camo.

People marketed camo to appeal to hunters and it worked. They made a killin. Yes I have camo and I wear it. I don't worry about scent lok stuff. I don't even buy special clothes wash. Baking soda works for me. Has for years. Just like Ozark said hunt the wind.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 01:34 PM

I dont agree with everything said above. I agree most camo is the same. Yes baking soda is what I use too for cloths wash.
I do think ASAT is better that most camo. Most just appears as a dark spot at a distance. Never use regular cloths wash it has scent and brighteners that cause fabrics to glow to deer. Yes people worn jeans and shirts, but they didn't have anything else. They had very little knowledge of deer biology and didnt know deer see blue. You just need to remember to be still and clean. Hunt the wind in your face. Dont take long shots, wait till you have a good shot and kill your deer. Get up a tree and wear a safety harness. HUNT SAFE !
WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Posted By: Sgiles

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 01:58 PM

Make sure you use surrounding cover to break up your outline. Camo is useless if you don't. I hung a camo shirt up to dry one day last year while I was hunting walked away for a bit and when I come back I was really surprised. It stuck out like a sore thumb, and that was just an empty shirt draped over a tree limb. Good luck this year.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 02:10 PM

I killed a couple deer with my bow last year wearing a faded out camo shirt that was almost yellow and a pair of carhartt pants. Camo doesn't matter
Posted By: USMC4910

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 02:40 PM

No matter what you wear if youre not hunting the wind right you may as well be naked. Always stay upwind of the deer and don't worry about expensive scent control clothes. I do use Dead Down Wind scent control products to eliminate some of my human odor.
Posted By: swanny

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 02:58 PM

How do you hunt the wind if you don't know which way the deer will be coming from do they take the same path everyday I don't understand this
Posted By: Sgiles

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 03:18 PM

That's where scouting really helps. But when your where your hunting and looking at a trail or other sign, your common sense will kick in and you'll start to figure it out. Of course sometimes they won't follow the trail but you can pattern an animal , it's part of the fun to me.
Posted By: Bait57

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 03:31 PM

In my opinion deer are like people. Creatures of habit and comfort to an extent. They will also surprise you at any given time. Boots on the ground is a great way to figure out what's going on. Cameras work well too. I usually have 15-20 cameras out at any given time.
Posted By: Possum Hunter

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: swanny
How do you hunt the wind if you don't know which way the deer will be coming from do they take the same path everyday I don't understand this

Swanny, deer come from ever which way... If you find a good area to hunt and hunt it often you will begin to realize primarily which way the deer come from at that particular stand, but you are always gonna have deer come from ways that you never thought they would.... If you have no idea just hunt and figure it out, if you know deer are using the area you'll find out real quick which wind you need to hunt that stand!

Also don't worry about which camo pattern to wear, just get which ever you want and use it, it don't matter to the deer if you match or not... thumbup
Posted By: ericbowhunter

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 06:51 PM

Use Mossy Oak!!
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 09:01 PM

Everything I have is Realtree but Mossy Oak is an Alabama Company so get Mossy Oak!!!!

Try to keep your money and business in Alabama.
Posted By: bigbuck101

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 09:16 PM

Just throwing money away on scent lok.
Posted By: Mossy454

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 09:35 PM

Totally agree. (I'm partial to Mossy Oak though) Scent lok may slightly help in a marginal situation, but it's nothing to count on. Learn to hunt with the wind in your favor.
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 10:22 PM

I've killed a lot of deer in a brown pull over and a regular long sleeve green shirt smile I usually wear whatever camo pants I find the cheapest for early bow season. I wouldn't worry about spending on certain patterns just put something on and hunt.

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Honolua
Everything I have is Realtree but Mossy Oak is an Alabama Company so get Mossy Oak!!!!

It's a mississippi company but close enough thumbup

I myself am partial to mossy oak. Used to go to the store in columbus on the way to visit family in mississippi when growing up. I like the tree bark type patterns they are making again.
Posted By: PoBoyHunting205

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 11:45 PM

Yea actually Mossy Oak is from my home town... West Point, MS. Whether you're gun or bow hunting my sure you use a back drop that breaks up your silhouette from tree stand or a ground blind. If you use a man made ground blind thats black inside wear black. Its all about blending in. As far as washing I use Ecos
Free and Clear Liquid ( no uv brightners) and baking soda.
Posted By: BammerNation37

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/27/16 11:45 PM

Mossy Oak for life. Wind direction is everything.

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbuck101
Just throwing money away on scent lok.

I disagree. I have tons of scentlok and scentblocker. Even if you aint sure of the scent masking claims, it is well made functional clothes made specifically for hunting.

I have several pairs of scent lok pants that feel like I am wearing pajamas, they are that comfy. I have hunting in rain when the temps were just one or two degrees above freezing and been toasty and dry in my scentblocker gear.

Having said all that, There is way more money in fooling hunters than fooling deer...

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: ozarktroutbum
Originally Posted By: Honolua

It's a mississippi company but close enough thumbup

I myself am partial to mossy oak. Used to go to the store in columbus on the way to visit family in mississippi when growing up. I like the tree bark type patterns they are making again.

Oops, my bad; lol Still made in Dixie though!
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 12:32 AM

Hey everybody what's the difference between mossy oak and real tree I'm looking to buy some scent lok camo for bow hunting but I don't know what the difference between the two. Also does anybody have any tips for a first year bow hunter?

Personally - I like lightweight mesh 3D camo (something similar to THIS ).

For bow season - I think the biggest thing is wear something that is cool and comfortable so you aren't sweating. I would highly recommend a Thermacell to keep the mosquitoes away. Do not wear a hat or sunglasses (I am convinced that deer can see dark and shadows very well), instead get a good mesh mask that matches your camo pattern.

Unless you can shoot from a sitting position, get a good climbing stand and set the seat a little higher so instead of sitting, you are more leaning against the seat. PLEASE WEAR a quality safety harness

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 12:54 AM

Store must have been in West Point, not Columbus
Posted By: PoBoyHunting205

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 01:56 AM

They may have had one in Columbus not sure but it was sold in malls like Tommy Hilfiegr... I always got the latest patterns smile
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 08:41 AM

Get a thermacell for bowhunting...you will thank me later

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Gobble4me757
Get a thermacell for bowhunting...you will thank me later

yep
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 10:20 AM

Scentlok ok if you want to go that $$$ route. Find what will go best in area you are hunting. Better yet just get cheap stuff now and wait to buy more as you learn more about it. Rocky has some nice stuff for price if you can catch it on sale.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 10:28 AM

There was a Mossey store in Foley outlet center, I dont know if its still there.
This website has great prices on camo, check out closeout area.

https://www.wingsupply.com/
Posted By: MarkAlan

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 03:58 PM

My cousin in TN would hunt in flannel and jeans. He would put on Carhart coveralls if it was cold.
Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/28/16 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: USMC4910
No matter what you wear if youre not hunting the wind right you may as well be naked. Always stay upwind of the deer and don't worry about expensive scent control clothes. I do use Dead Down Wind scent control products to eliminate some of my human odor.

That should read, "always stay DOWNWIND of the deer." 😁
Posted By: Geno

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 08/29/16 08:04 AM

I just watch the cigarette smoke and if the wind changes, turn to face it.

I usually wear a pair of green wool pants if it's early in the season and switch to tan or brown as the season goes on. If I do wear camo, it's woodland pattern military surplus for about 10 clams per piece.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Camo and 1st year bowhunting help - 09/01/16 11:15 AM

Realtree is made in Georgia. Truth is, if you're not sitting still the deer will spot you no matter if you're wearing camo or an orange jumpsuit. Set up downwind and be still. The posts about breaking up your human outline are spot on.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM