Aldeer.com

Who hunts from the ground?

Posted By: bambam32

Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:00 PM

I frequently hunt long roads from the ground with a bag chair and a tripod. I may try to hunt the woods more from the ground this year. What's your set up? I like Summits new "the stump" seat.

http://www.summitstands.com/summit-stump
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:09 PM

Gobbler lounger or a fatboy coushion
Posted By: trackncur

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:09 PM

I usually sit in a fence row with the oak limbs hanging over me to the ground and trim 2 or 3 shooting holes. They get up close and personal.
Posted By: Reno

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:10 PM

Killed my first deer from a tree stand last year, which happen to be my first bow kill too.. Every other deer ive killed, i was sitting in the dirt. I usually find a hill side or an area with a little slope to look down into, but I've killed several deer through the years that way and never killed a deer over 50 yards away.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:12 PM

gloves and face mask , i just set with my back to a tree.

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:13 PM

I like to find a tree that's wider than me and kick all the leaves away so I can move and not make noise.. The fresh dirt seems to help cover my decent also. As already said, stay sharp because they get close and it can happen fast

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Reno
Killed my first deer from a tree stand last year, which happen to be my first bow kill too.. Every other deer ive killed, i was sitting in the dirt. I usually find a hill side or an area with a little slope to look down into, but I've killed several deer through the years that way and never killed a deer over 50 yards away.

over the years i try to get as far away from them as i can but some times that aint far . hard to win when/if he spots you first .

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Frankie

over the years i try to get as far away from them as i can but some times that aint far . hard to win when/if he spots you first .

Very true. Hunting from the ground will get you busted in a hurry. You gotta stay sharp and keep movement to a minimum. Scouting before hand and having a good idea of where the deer will be coming from really helps
Posted By: Bait57

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:39 PM

Primarily hunt from the ground. Hunt from a stand a few times a year but not much. I like being mobile if need be. Not being part of a club or lease here makes it more of a challenge for good public ground hunting. The three bucks I have on the wall came from hunting the ground on public ground.

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Frankie

Very true. Hunting from the ground will get you busted in a hurry. You gotta stay sharp and keep movement to a minimum. Scouting before hand and having a good idea of where the deer will be coming from really helps

and any time you move do it slow and smooth , no fast jerky movements . no jerking your head side to side looking for ever little noise . the more the woods are moving the more you can get by with at times .
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 09:04 PM

I like to take a chair and sit were I think I can see one come through. Bad thing is they sometimes come to close to see what you are.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 09:17 PM

I hunt from the ground when conditions are favorable for slow undetected movement as I slip along. I rarely will just sit on the ground. If I'm staying in one place waiting for a good buck I will be in a tree.

% wise the tree is a better bet for mature bucks because ya have to fool all the other deer that may pass by before big boy arrives. Hard to do on the ground.
Posted By: Surefire1911

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 09:42 PM

Milinium tree seat. No questions, Just buy it.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/26/16 09:42 PM

Love hunting roads from the ground. Either ill take my little seat with me and sit up against a tree or ill park my jeep side ways in the middle of the road with both windows down so I can shoot both ways.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 06:58 AM

Pretty much exclusively for the last 20 years or so. Now that I'm hunting with my 12 y/o son I think we need to get back in the trees. Slip huntin aint easy. He "clops" when he walks, like a horse.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 07:23 AM

Always unless I got a kid with me.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 08:12 AM

I second the millenium tree seat
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 08:21 AM

After bow season I am usually on the ground. Where I hunt the understory make a long shot near impossible from an elevated stand but on the ground I can get a clear shot of 70-150 yards at times. I prefer to be above mid ridge in some rock if possible on the hilly areas and next too or between a few larger trees or a blown over root ball on the flat areas. Sometimes I'll just sit on a log but a cushion helps for comfort as I suffer from Irish butt.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 08:23 AM

I gun hunt off the ground a lot. If you ever try the Hammock Tree Seat you'll throw every other tree seat away. It's the easiest to carry and most comfortable seat that you could ever imagine.

http://www.fanaticoutdoors.com/product/hammock-seat/
Posted By: johnv

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 08:24 AM

I've killed 8 deer from the ground with a old pse lighting 2, and several with a crossbow. I got so tore up on the ones with the bow I puked. Been hunting out of a treestand for the last five years or so now.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
I gun hunt off the ground a lot. If you ever try the Hammock Tree Seat you'll throw every other tree seat away. It's the easiest to carry and most comfortable seat that you could ever imagine.

You can get these on Amazon now for $ 34.00 free shipping with prime.

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I hunt from the ground when conditions are favorable for slow undetected movement as I slip along. I rarely will just sit on the ground. If I'm staying in one place waiting for a good buck I will be in a tree.

% wise the tree is a better bet for mature bucks because ya have to fool all the other deer that may pass by before big boy arrives. Hard to do on the ground.

lol , yeah and over the years that got a few old does dead too .

i had a old doe play peek ah boo from behind a tree one time . was so damn funny i couldn't shoot her from trying not to laugh .
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 04:43 PM

I use one of these unless I'm bow hunting, then I just sit on a dove stool. https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Camping-...ng+turkey+chair
Posted By: AC870

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: twaldrop4
I second the millenium tree seat

Me too. I've shot 2 small bucks and a doe out of mine. It's comfortable and light as a feather to carry.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 10:09 PM

Wiley, I see these every year at the deer shows. How do these do when you are sitting for a long time? Looks like it would make my back hurt after a while. Am I wrong on that?

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/27/16 10:16 PM

I'll probably purchase a millennium tree seat but I checked some reviews of this one. Several folks have said that you can't attach it to smaller trees. Have you found this to be the case?
Posted By: TwoRs

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/28/16 02:03 PM

I have both the tree seats mentioned, the hammock version is more convient and versitial but the Mill is more comfortable. IMHO
Posted By: H2901

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/31/16 04:04 PM

This website is gonna make me go broke...just bought two millenium tree seats for my dad and me after reading this.

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/31/16 04:57 PM

I found my millenium tree seat at a yard sale for $10. I consider it my best yard sale find EVER.
Posted By: bucksmacker1313

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/31/16 06:44 PM

Millenium tree seat. I
Posted By: UARandy3

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 08/31/16 07:37 PM

I've been looking at the Millennium seat as I hope to try to hunt some roads and firebreaks from the ground. What's the smallest diameter tree needed to set it up?
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/05/16 04:20 PM

Only thing I've ever used is a Summit Trophy Chair, its comfortable. Normally when I hunt from the ground I'm semi scouting, walk a ways and sit for a while. I have killed a bunch that way. I have also been sitting up against a clump of small trees and had a young 8pt walk up and smell my boot! I kinda jumped at him, he jumped back and just walked around me.
Posted By: sethjamtoe

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/05/16 07:14 PM

Thanks to this thread I'm buying more chit.......
Posted By: Randy74

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/05/16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: AC870
I found my millenium tree seat at a yard sale for $10. I consider it my best yard sale find EVER.

I would consider that my best find ever too!!! I love my millennium tree seat.
Posted By: Randy74

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/05/16 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: UARandy3
I've been looking at the Millennium seat as I hope to try to hunt some roads and firebreaks from the ground. What's the smallest diameter tree needed to set it up?

Not sure exactly how small it will go but it's pretty small. I've had mine on some small willow trees in drainage ditches on a cornfield. It's easy to set up and with a low limb or 2 I've had mine 6-8 ft off the ground and was able to hunt some spots without setting up a blind and there were no trees to climb.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/05/16 10:07 PM

I've used a plastic lawn chair with the legs cut off for years and love it! I cut the legs to where my rump is about 3-4" off the ground. Very comfortable with arm rests and easy to tote with a "custom tactical" strap.

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/25/16 10:15 PM

Well, I said I wasn't going to spend a bunch on hunting this year but I caved. I just ordered a millennium tree seat and an ASAT leafy suit.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/25/16 10:27 PM

I rarely ever sit down. But when I do, it is with Dos Equis. I just use a bifold chair with a back on it. It has a strap I can carry it on my back with. Most of my favorite spots are only huntable from the ground down here in this thick crap. I think that may change this year though. All of the new places I have scouted have nice climbable trees.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/25/16 10:54 PM

Serious question. Why would you by a tree seat when a gobbler lounger can be placed anywhere and is lower profile? It's literally impossible for a tree seat to be more comfortable.

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Serious question. Why would you by a tree seat when a gobbler lounger can be placed anywhere and is lower profile? It's literally impossible for a tree seat to be more comfortable.

The problem with gobbler lounger is the height. It kills my legs. A tree seat gets you to a normal sitting height.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 07:38 AM

I don't bow hunt from the ground, unless i'm in a blind. I rifle hunt in the mountains from the ground, using my gobbler lounger. I either get into a fallen tree top, or build me a ground blind by hinging small saplings around me. Pallets make excellent ground blinds, especially for roads or power lines when your looking in one direction. Drive a couple post into the ground thru the pallet with it standing upright. Take some limbs and weave it between the slats. Use a bag chair to get higher. Use the top of the pallet as a shooting rail.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 10:02 AM

I second this. I bought this seat last season, and it makes you reconsider a treestand every time. It's as comfortable as my Summit climber all day long.
Posted By: TGbow

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 07:07 PM

I've hunted on the ground 90% of the time for the last 40 plus years.
When I started the only stands I saw were the old Baker climbers, we had a few of em but they were death traps.
I hunt out of natural blinds mostly. Ground hunting can be very effective if done right, just have to do it.
Move very slowly when you have to move, play the wind, I try to wear a ghillie/hat or anything to break up the head/shoulder outline.
Where I hunt ,in the last 20 years I've seen deer looking up as much as they look at ground level when approaching a food plot.
I use a folding chair with a back.
This year I bought a Shappel Trail chair that swivels, it weighs about 3 lbs.
Good luck, ground hunting aint near as hard as some think it is.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 07:14 PM

Ya'll too serious! Whats wrong with just sitting in the truck, comfortable, heater on, radio on, and no outside human scent?? Rain and wind? NO problem. Just ease the window down when you see one. grin

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: centralala
Ya'll too serious! Whats wrong with just sitting in the truck, comfortable, heater on, radio on, and no outside human scent?? Rain and wind? NO problem. Just ease the window down when you see one. grin

You forgot to mention to bring along a buddy...to drag the deer to the truck for ya,, thumbup
Posted By: jono23

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 08:00 PM

I'm going to give hunting from the ground a shot this year. There are parts of the club that I have no desire hauling a climber to.
Posted By: Turkey Petter

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 08:19 PM

In a hilly area, I think it helps to hunt from the ground...scent wise. You can't see as far, but it helps keep your scent from bumping deer on the next hillside. I've always thought it's fairly easy to kill a deer off the ground. I need to get within 40 yards of gobbler, a buck only needs to show up within a couple hundred yards. Killed several off the ground and it's one of my favorite ways to deer hunt. Try it and you will like it.
Posted By: deerkiller25

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 09:01 PM

I've killed most of my deer from the ground. Just find a big tree kick the leaves till dirt and hunt.
Posted By: bigbuck101

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 09:07 PM

I have both the millenium tree seat, and the millenium ground blind swivel chair, the swivel chair is by far the best of the two, swivels with zero sound, adjustable legs, super comfortable, you dont have to fool around sitting it up on tree, super quick and quiet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/429491/millennium-g-100-ground-blind-chair

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbuck101
I have both the millenium tree seat, and the millenium ground blind swivel chair, the swivel chair is by far the best of the two, swivels with zero sound, adjustable legs, super comfortable, you dont have to fool around sitting it up on tree, super quick and quiet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/429491/millennium-g-100-ground-blind-chair
I bowhunt 90% of the time. I think the Mill seat is probably the best seat available from the reviews Ive read. One day Im gonna have to break down and get one.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 09:17 PM

I shot this one from the ground, I was down the hill, and shot between those two pines in the top left of the picture. DRT. Ground hunting is great, you just do everything much much slower, try to keep the wind in your favor, and eyes and ears open and on a swivel.

Re: Who hunts from the ground? - 09/26/16 09:57 PM

Nice buck
© 2024 ALDEER.COM