Aldeer.com

Any early hunts on WMA's

Posted By: blumsden

Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/23/16 11:30 AM

Matt, are ya'll going to have any early rifle hunts on Black Warrior this year?
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/23/16 01:31 PM

He's not at Black Warrior any more but yes they are having "special opportunity" hunt. Nov 11-12 Bside Antlered bucks only must have 4 on one side at least.
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/23/16 01:36 PM

Choccolocco is Nov. 5-7. May trek down for that one...
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/23/16 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: CeeHawk37

This one was a bust last year...not because it wasn't well planned or a great idea, but it was tornadic weather. Seriously, it was like 75 degrees with 35+ winds all day long that whole week.

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/23/16 07:25 PM

Yeah, it wasn't a lot of fun to hunt in, but still managed to see some deer. Just nothing close to being a shooter. Will likely watch the weather a little more leading up to this hunt. If it's looking rough, I may stay here for the second week of muzzleloader season.
Posted By: wmd

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/23/16 07:37 PM

Black Warrior's is on November 11th and 12th; the Friday and Saturday of the state youth hunt weekend.

Which begs the questions - is an under 16 year old hunter on 11-12 November a youth hunter that must have a non-hunting, licensed adult over 21 supervising him or is he a special opportunity hunter that can hunt like everybody else?
Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/23/16 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: ikillbux

This one was a bust last year...not because it wasn't well planned or a great idea, but it was tornadic weather. Seriously, it was like 75 degrees with 35+ winds all day long that whole week.
I found it to be productive.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/24/16 06:34 AM

Why would you have the early hunt during youth season? Thats crazy.

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/24/16 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while...
Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/24/16 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while...
We've both put in enough miles out there, it's nice to be rewarded every once in awhile!

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/24/16 12:12 PM

True that. If the weather cooperates, I'll be down there to put a few more miles on the boots. Gonna be interesting to see how many bucks get pulled out of there this year with the new regs.
Posted By: mrfuzz

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/24/16 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: wmd
Black Warrior's is on November 11th and 12th; the Friday and Saturday of the state youth hunt weekend.

Which begs the questions - is an under 16 year old hunter on 11-12 November a youth hunter that must have a non-hunting, licensed adult over 21 supervising him or is he a special opportunity hunter that can hunt like everybody else?

Either way, as I understand it, under 16 is considered a youth and must have an adult present. Youth can not hunt un supervised on WMA. That's my understanding for what it's worth.
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/25/16 12:53 AM

They went to 4 pt on one side out there this year too. Just a heads up.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 08/25/16 07:57 AM

NO scheduled youth hunt on the weekend of Nov 12 at Black Warrior.

Chocoloco, Oakmulgee, Sam Murphy, Sky Line and Cahaba (just to name a few) all DO have scheduled youth hunts that weekend. Some are Sat only, others are two day. Check your maps for specifics.
Posted By: DanCoc36

Re: Any early hunts on WMA's - 09/05/16 05:22 PM

I hiked a few miles through choccolocco WMA this morning. Looking forward to that special opportunity hunt this year.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM