Aldeer.com

Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes)

Posted By: Archery_Fanatic

Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:07 AM

So I'm wanting to buy a new rifle scope since mine is pushing 30 years old. I've been looking at a Leupold vx-3i 4.5-14x50 and a Zeiss terra 4-12x50. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations. The only scope I've ever used is a Simmons so I don't know much about these brands. I want to spend 550$ or less. Thanks
Posted By: bill

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:09 AM

Can't believe I'm gonna say this but if those are you're two choices I'd go with the Leupold. I haven't heard good things about the Terra line.

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:22 AM

Do you know of something better I might could look at @bill?
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:32 AM

Bushnell for the$ is hard to beat in my opinion
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:53 AM

That Bushnell 3200 in the classified section is a dang good scope.
Posted By: Ron A.

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:55 AM

Leupold- made in USA
Terra- made in China
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:58 AM

I have the Leupold VX3i 3.5-10X40 that I paid $312 for.
I've been pleased with it thus far.
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 11:18 AM

I think id go with leupold. I look at other scopes sometimes but always seem to get back around to sticking with the leupold. Zeiss is a really good scope but I dont know much about that terra.
Posted By: Alb

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 11:42 AM

The Terra has a lot of bad reviews I've always used Leupold but I got a Vortex Viper a few months ago and so far it's been awesome at twilight it beats my Leupold VX3
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 11:56 AM

Vortex would be my choice in that price range. Those Terra's are awful in low light from the one experience I have hunting with them
Posted By: skytrash

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 12:41 PM

Sightron S2 Big Sky 4.5-14×44 or 4-16×42
Posted By: bama1157

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Vortex would be my choice in that price range. Those Terra's are awful in low light from the one experience I have hunting with them
This Vortex is the way I would go..
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 12:55 PM

Good with the leupold over the terra. If it was conquest vs vx-3i I would take it everyday.

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 01:38 PM

Which scope from vortex would you guys recommen? My main issue is that the scope needs to perform well at dawn and dusk
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 01:55 PM

Get a dang used Zeiss conquest 3-9x50 and be done with it. Probably find one for $400 pretty easy.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 04:00 PM

I prefer leupold over zeiss. I have had and do still have a couple of each. To me, the overall sight picture is just clearer in the leupold. The eye relief seems better on the leupold. I like the Swarovski, but when it's time to just get a good performing affordable scope, I start searching for the leupolds. If I run across a zeiss for a really good deal, not saying I won't scoop it up.
Posted By: ericbowhunter

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 04:38 PM

Leupold! I own 2 Zeiss, and 1 Leupold. For the money Leupold all the way. Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 and a Zeiss 3x12x56 Diavari. Leupold 3.5x10x50 VX111.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 07:42 PM

Don't get the terra or leupold if it was me. Look at meopta. Very good optics.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 09:13 PM

I've got a couple of 50mm Vortex scopes for sale right now in the Classifieds... but they are a little more than $550. They are both great dawn/dusk scopes.
Posted By: bill

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Archery_Fanatic
Do you know of something better I might could look at @bill?

Vortex Viper, Trijicon Accupoint or Meopta Meopro are all better in low light in my opinion.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 09:58 PM

Leupold with heavy duplex reticle.
Posted By: Big Buck Video

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:20 PM

Leupold for me
Posted By: TurningTwo

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:21 PM

I am Vortex after owning the Viper, love it.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/21/16 10:58 PM

The Terra is actually made in Japan, not in China but I would choose the Leupold over the Terra model.

Honestly when you are comparing scopes in a certain price range there is very little difference in quality.You are better served by choosing based on particular qualities like reticle,turrents,eye relief, size and weight, rather than on the name brand.
Posted By: LUMPY

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/22/16 02:33 PM

This would make you a great scope....and you could almost get 2 for your budget.....

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Meopta-MeoPro-3.5-10x44---Reticle-ZPlex-Rifle-Scopes&catalog[product_guids][0]=1205857

****not sure why the link is being funny....copy the whole line and put in your browser
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/22/16 03:27 PM

Leupold is made in China assembled in the good ole USA.... eek

You can't have anything nice anymore. Well, I got one on a rifle I hunt with regularly and it's ok. Not great when use to looking through European optics.

The scope Lumpy posted can't really be beat for the money if you ok with the power range. Also Europtic has Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for sale still. Minox ZA5-HD is a good scope as well. All sub $500.

Posted By: Dphillips

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/22/16 05:56 PM

I'm actually looking @ the Vortex Viper 6.5x-20x, anyone have any experience with this model, the review have been very good.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/22/16 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Dphillips
I'm actually looking @ the Vortex Viper 6.5x-20x, anyone have any experience with this model, the review have been very good.

Waste of money IMO, I had one and the glass was not what I was expecting, more on par with a Bushnell Banner series. Doe yourself a favor and move up to a PST or VX3 or something else.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/22/16 08:04 PM

Conquest or diavari for zeiss. No to terra. Look at the meopta scopes. Id much rather have a meopta than any leupold or terra.

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/22/16 09:04 PM

Too much scope IMHO for general hunting. You will get a lot more scope for the money in the 3X9 range than in a super zoom.
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/22/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Claims Rep.
I've got a couple of 50mm Vortex scopes for sale right now in the Classifieds... but they are a little more than $550. They are both great dawn/dusk scopes.
shhh dont tell everyone I'm trying to save up some money
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/22/16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

Too much scope IMHO for general hunting. You will get a lot more scope for the money in the 3X9 range than in a super zoom.

X2^^^
6x will get you to 400yd easy.
I wouldn't get a terra, they should be in the $150 range IMO.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/23/16 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: bill
Can't believe I'm gonna say this but if those are you're two choices I'd go with the Leupold. I haven't heard good things about the Terra line.

Same here. I bought a Zeiss a couple of years ago. Glass was perfect but the eye relief was not nearly what I had with Leupold. I sold it and bought another Leupold. I'm actually looking for another Leupold now.

Dr. B
Posted By: slick_trick

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/23/16 05:51 PM

I bought a meopta meopro 4x12x50 at simmons the other day for 499. I have been using the meostar line for years. Id say the meopro, or vortex would be hard to beat.

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/23/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

Agree, I think military snipers use a 12X and their happy zone is 1,000 meters. Folks don't need a Hubble to shoot a deer at ANY distance you should be shooting at deer.
Posted By: BigUncleLeroy

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/24/16 08:56 AM

I personally disagree with the negatives on the Terra, I bought one out of curiosity, the 2x for my .325 BLR and I love it. It literally seems like the exact same scope as my early 2000s model conquests.
Posted By: KHOOKS

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/24/16 10:17 AM

Zeiss 3x12x56 Conquest. I have one bought used for 600$ it is the best low light scope I have ever used. I even shot long range matches with it for about a year. I had to get a base to get out there with it but it is a great scope. I have it setting on a shelf now waiting on a new hunting rig. When my 308 LTR gets a new barrel it will be a target rig only.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/24/16 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Agree, I think military snipers use a 12X and their happy zone is 1,000 meters. Folks don't need a Hubble to shoot a deer at ANY distance you should be shooting at deer.
I didn't want to tell you...but I just purchased a 6-24x50 to go on my field gun. I'm ashamed. laugh

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/24/16 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: JUGHEAD
I didn't want to tell you...but I just purchased a 6-24x50 to go on my field gun. I'm ashamed. laugh

Well, least you'll be ready for a shot when a grown un walks out at 1,500 yards.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/24/16 11:48 AM

Well, least you'll be ready for a shot when a grown un walks out at 1,500 yards.
laugh
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/24/16 11:53 AM

Bahahaha

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/24/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: KHOOKS
Zeiss 3x12x56 Conquest. I have one bought used for 600$ it is the best low light scope I have ever used. I even shot long range matches with it for about a year. I had to get a base to get out there with it but it is a great scope. I have it setting on a shelf now waiting on a new hunting rig. When my 308 LTR gets a new barrel it will be a target rig only.

The only thing I don't like about scopes with a wide power range is they usually have a lot of tunnel vision on low power where I mostly use them. Most times a 2-7 or 3-9 will look better and have a wider FOV on low power than a 2-12 or 3-12.

The main thing is to pick a scope that fits 90% of your shots rather than trying for one that is supposedly more versatile. My experience is that they tend to do it all with mediocrity. In other words you will have an optically better scope most times with a fixed 6X than a 2-12.
Posted By: daylate

Re: Leupold vs Zeiss (scopes) - 08/24/16 03:35 PM

If anyone is interested Cabelas has the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 on sale for $299.99 right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vortex-reg-Viper-reg-HS-mm-Riflescopes/1394449.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dviper%2Bhs%26CQ_st%3Db
© 2024 ALDEER.COM