The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 08:34 AM

T-minus 60 days boys!!!! beers

Who's already got vacation scheduled?
Posted By: huntbig

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 08:52 AM

beers Can't Wait!
Posted By: PineStalker89

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 11:10 AM

Hopefully my schedule will hold up. It should give me 3 or 4 chances a week to go if it stays like this. Been ready since the 4th of July.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 11:15 AM

I doubt I even go this year.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 12:13 PM

Way too damn hot to even be thinking about hunting for me. I might not go at all till late December.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
I doubt I even go this year.

You serious, Clark?
Posted By: GruntSpcWeller

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 12:19 PM

Vacation the first 9 Days bow season!!
Posted By: CNC

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: GruntSpcWeller

Now here’s a man that I’d be proud to go into battle with…….You sir, are a true soldier. thumbup thumbup

Timbercruiser & N2T, I don’t know about you two. Y’all might need to fall to the back with logistics with that attitude. I just don’t know if you’re cut out for the infantry unit anymore. The rest of us a gettin our game faces on!! ……Here’s my game face…… mad...... laugh
Posted By: ScentFreeHunter

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 12:55 PM

I'm with ya, also off the first 9 days of bow season. Besides during the rut, have seen more big bucks during the first week or two of bow season than any other time of year. Damn the mosquitoes, full speed ahead!
Posted By: bigt

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 01:00 PM

I will probably be planting opening day of bow season and unless a good cold front comes through or by some miracle of God a buck is not nocturnal on one of our cameras I will probably not be hunting until November 18. More power to you early season guys and good luck....
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 03:13 PM

I'm so busy with side jobs I will be running behind getting all my property cut and planted.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: CNC
Originally Posted By: GruntSpcWeller

Now here’s a man that I’d be proud to go into battle with…….You sir, are a true soldier. thumbup thumbup

Timbercruiser & N2T, I don’t know about you two. Y’all might need to fall to the back with logistics with that attitude. I just don’t know if you’re cut out for the infantry unit anymore. The rest of us a gettin our game faces on!! ……Here’s my game face…… mad...... laugh

You take your game face off? Pfff
Posted By: Muddybucks7

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 06:07 PM

I'm ready

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 06:08 PM

Anybody hunting all 120 days this year
Posted By: James

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 06:27 PM

beers
Posted By: Reaper

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Muddybucks7
Anybody hunting all 120 days this year

Probably Shaw.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 06:57 PM

T-minus 60 days boys!!!! beers

thumbup
Posted By: Cooper

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 08:30 PM

Can't wait! First time hunting, first time bow hunting, first time going into a stand. I have a large learning curve but atleast I am going to try and see how I do. I might look for someone to take me hunting or tag along with someone, any volunteers? laugh
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/15/16 08:50 PM

I got my game face on. I can't wait to sink a slick trick in a rib cage. It's tearing me up.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/16/16 06:31 AM

59 Days to go!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/16/16 06:34 AM

N2trkys…..I’ve got one word for you this morning ……… Game Face

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/17/16 06:35 AM

58 Days to go!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 07:07 AM

57 Days to go………..

With each day, let’s take a look back at some of the good times from last season. Call it out if you see your ugly mugg…….

Posted By: Orion

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 10:34 AM

That would be myself. Brent's son. Don't hold that against me

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Orion
That would be myself. Brent's son. Don't hold that against me

That's a nice buck there...... thumbup
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 11:25 AM

My best buck so far ... don't laugh this will just be my 4th season

My only goal for this season other than enjoying the heck out of it is to get my first racked buck, one nice enough to mount and put in my man cave

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocket62
My best buck so far ... don't laugh this will just be my 4th season

My only goal for this season other than enjoying the heck out of it is to get my first racked buck, one nice enough to mount and put in my man cave

Nice Rocket!.....It'll happen. Here's to the new season and this being your year. beers
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 06:09 PM

Would have been a good'un in about 3 years....... grin

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
Would have been a good'un in about 3 years....... grin

Let he who hath not kilt a spike cast the first stone….. grin
Posted By: jono23

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 06:30 PM

Hey Rocket, that's a bigger buck than I have killed! LOL! Hoping this year is the year, for both of us!
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 07:40 PM

One of my favorite things about deer season. Lunch.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/18/16 08:27 PM

My first racked buck from last year. Really hope my son is able to connect with his first deer this year.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/19/16 06:19 AM

56 Days to go!

Name that Aldeer member??

Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/19/16 07:56 AM

I don't know but he's the one that stole my saw horses!
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/19/16 08:06 AM

56 Days to go!

Name that Aldeer member??

That's topcat.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/19/16 09:21 AM

Originally Posted By: leroycnbucks
That's topcat.

Judges???? popcorn

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/19/16 09:59 AM

Alright, after conferring with the judges I have the answer......

And the Aldeer member holding that giant buck in the pic isssss!!!…………. popcorn

………we’ll find out after this quick break and a word from our sponsors. whistle

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/19/16 12:20 PM

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/19/16 01:59 PM

……..aaaaand we’re back. Yep……. that is indeed Top Cat along with a dang nice buck and apparently some questionable saw horses. Skeeter, tell ‘em what he’s won!

Leroy, for playing today’s game you’ve won a free 10 night stay at Gary’s Bed n’ Breakfast located in beautiful Chattanooga, TN!.......

”Gary’s Bed n’ Breafast……….We sure hope you like tacos!” wink
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/19/16 02:20 PM

Leroy, for playing today’s game you’ve won a free 10 night stay at Gary’s Bed n’ Breakfast located in beautiful Chattanooga, TN!.......

Or maybe a 65 year old burrito.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/19/16 05:16 PM

……..aaaaand we’re back. Yep……. that is indeed Top Cat along with a dang nice buck and apparently some questionable saw horses. Skeeter, tell ‘em what he’s won!

rofl rofl rofl

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 07:40 AM

55 Days to go……..

This was one of the best kill threads of the year. If I recall, the deer was shot in back foot and had to be tracked for over 3 miles. Can you name the homosexual looking Aldeer member on the right???

Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 07:41 AM

55 Days to go……..

This was one of the best kill threads of the year. If I recall, the deer was shot in back foot and had to be tracked for over 3 miles. Can you name the homosexual looking Aldeer member on the right???

If I guess it what do I win?

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 08:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
[/quote]

If I guess it what do I win?

4 free tickets to the annual “Walker Co Weiner Festival”……Donated courtesy of our mystery member. grin

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 08:54 AM

I believe our contestant maybe rethinking his decision to hit the buzzer so quickly…..C’mon beadlescomb, time’s running out…..5 seconds……

Name that Aldeer member! laugh

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 08:57 AM

CNC, you are ridiculous.

Carry on.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 09:27 AM

Originally Posted By: jono23
CNC, you are ridiculous.

Carry on.

It’s all in good fun………. thumbup

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 09:29 AM

Oh, I enjoy it. I just thought I would point that out.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 09:39 AM

Originally Posted By: jono23
Oh, I enjoy it. I just thought I would point that out.

I think you’re wanting those tickets is what I think…..What about it? For the tickets AND an opportunity to play in our bonus round for a very special mystery prize………. wink

Can you name that Aldeer member? popcorn
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 09:45 AM

I just realized a couple weeks ago that the new hunting shows have started. I've got a lot recording now. Love watching the giants they kill.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10
I just realized a couple weeks ago that the new hunting shows have started. I've got a lot recording now. Love watching the giants they kill.

I hear you. I’ve been watching them too. As much as I hate them sometimes, I still love to watch ‘em this time of year. Gets me fired up. thumbup

Let’s pause 10 seconds for station identification and a word from today’s sponsor………… grin

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/20/16 10:45 AM

Today’s episode has been brought to you by……..The Texas Heart Shots Association………where we say….

”When that buck turns to run, start reachin’ for your gun!”…….. thumbup thumbup

Now back to our show! popcorn

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/21/16 06:25 AM

54 Days to go…..

This morning’s picture is brought to us again by The Texas Heart Shots Association……where we say……”If he’s leavin’ fast, just shoot him in the ass.” wink

Moving along……This is one of my favorite pics from last season entitled “Pirogue Riders”.

Posted By: AC870

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/21/16 08:59 AM

54 Days to go…..

This morning’s picture is brought to us again by The Texas Heart Shots Association……where we say……”If he’s leavin’ fast, just shoot him in the ass.” wink

Moving along……This is one of my favorite pics from last season entitled “Pirogue Riders”.

One of my favorite pics from last year too. Just looks like a place you want to go. And a great ride out.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/21/16 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: AC870

One of my favorite pics from last year too. Just looks like a place you want to go. And a great ride out.

Yep....and that's deadly entry and exit strategy too. It doesn't get much better than that.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/22/16 07:04 AM

53 Days to go

Mathew 7….1-5

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/23/16 06:57 AM

52 Days to go!

A short story this morning for any young fathers out there...... smile

“FATHER FORGETS"..... W. Livingston

Listen, son: I am saying this as you lie asleep, one little paw crumpled under your cheek and the blond curls stickily wet on your damp forehead. I have stolen into your room alone. Just a few minutes ago, as I sat reading my paper in the library, a stifling wave of remorse swept over me. Guiltily I came to your bedside. These are the things I was thinking, son:

I had been cross to you. I scolded you as you were dressing for school because you gave your face merely a dab with a towel. I took you to task for not cleaning your shoes. I called out angrily when you threw some of your things on the floor. At breakfast I found fault, too. You spilled things. You gulped down your food. You put your elbows on the table. You spread butter too thick on your bread. And as you started off to play and I made for my train, you turned and waved a hand and called, “Goodbye, Daddy!” and I frowned, and said in reply, “Hold your shoulders back!”

Then it began all over again in the late afternoon. As I came up the road I spied you, down on your knees, playing marbles. There were holes in your stockings. I humiliated you before your friends by marching you ahead of me to the house. Stockings were expensive—and if you had to buy them you would be more careful! Imagine that, son, from a father! Do you remember, later, when I was reading in the library, how you came in timidly, with a sort of hurt look in your eyes? When I glanced up over my paper, impatient at the interruption, you hesitated at the door. “What is it you want?” I snapped. You said nothing, but ran across in one tempestuous plunge, and threw your arms around my neck and kissed me, and your small arms tightened with an affection that God had set blooming in your heart and which even neglect could not wither. And then you were gone, pattering up the stairs.

Well, son, it was shortly afterwards that my paper slipped from my hands and a terrible sickening fear came over me. What has habit been doing to me? The habit of finding fault, of reprimanding—this was my reward to you for being a boy. It was not that I did not love you; it was that I expected too much of youth. I was measuring you by the yardstick of my own years. And there was so much that was good and fine and true in your character. The little heart of you was as big as the dawn itself over the wide hills. This was shown by your spontaneous impulse to rush in and kiss me good night. Nothing else matters tonight, son. I have come to your bedside in the darkness, and I have knelt there, ashamed! It is a feeble atonement; I know you would not understand these things if I told them to you during your waking hours. But tomorrow I will be a real daddy! I will chum with you, and suffer when you suffer, and laugh when you laugh. I will bite my tongue when impatient words come. I will keep saying as if it were a ritual: “He is nothing but a boy—a little boy!” I am afraid I have visualized you as a man. Yet as I see you now, son, crumpled and weary in your cot, I see that you are still a baby. Yesterday you were in your mother’s arms, your head on her shoulder. I have asked too much, too much.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/24/16 06:56 AM

51 Days to go!

“If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person’s point of view and see things from that person’s angle as well as from your own.”

---Henry Ford

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/25/16 06:53 AM

50 Days to go!

“I reckon most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”

---Abraham Lincoln

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/26/16 06:57 AM

49 Days to go!

“I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

---- Stephen Grellet

Posted By: bigt

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/26/16 08:56 AM

51 Days to go!

“If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person’s point of view and see things from that person’s angle as well as from your own.”

---Henry Ford

Sometimes I wish I was smaller so it wouldn't make my bucks look so small lol

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/26/16 09:51 AM

Dang sure ain't nuthin wrong with that buck Bigt..... thumbup
Posted By: roltide

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/26/16 11:48 AM

Very excited for this upcoming season! Got a new lease and some good buck prospects. New TenPoint crossbow and good group of guys. Just can't wait !!! Life is good smile

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/26/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: roltide
Very excited for this upcoming season! Got a new lease and some good buck prospects. New TenPoint crossbow and good group of guys. Just can't wait !!! Life is good smile

I'm with you roltide. Life is good! beers
Posted By: Crowmthtr

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/26/16 10:23 PM

I'll be looking for this little fellow in 50 more days.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/26/16 10:57 PM

I'm looking for another one of these cows

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/27/16 07:31 AM

48 Days to go!

“The greatest of faults is to be conscience of none.”

----Thomas Carlyle

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 05:40 AM

47 Days to go!

“You can't win an argument. You can't because if you lose it, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it.”

---- Anonymous

Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 08:43 AM

That was a freaking stud!! Can't wait til opening day

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: slayinbucks24/7
That was a freaking stud!! Can't wait til opening day

You dang right!....That's one heck of a buck. thumbup
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 09:53 AM

6 more days for me!
Posted By: Reaper

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Bamabucks14
6 more days for me!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 10:44 AM

lol

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 10:45 AM

6 more days for me!

You suck!!....... beers

I think Otis is more ready than any of us. I met with some folks this morning that run a local guide service and took Otis with me. He thought we were going tracking and when we got done and came back home without tracking something, he started acting heartbroken. He just sat at my feet staring intensely at me like… “What’s the deal….let’s go!”….Then he started sulking and that’s where we are currently. He's just laying here going... frown frown ....Damn dog is too smart for his own good sometimes. grin

Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 11:30 AM

Yeah boy.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 10:36 PM

6 more days for me!

You suck!!....... beers

I think Otis is more ready than any of us. I met with some folks this morning that run a local guide service and took Otis with me. He thought we were going tracking and when we got done and came back home without tracking something, he started acting heartbroken. He just sat at my feet staring intensely at me like… “What’s the deal….let’s go!”….Then he started sulking and that’s where we are currently. He's just laying here going... frown frown ....Damn dog is too smart for his own good sometimes. grin

Hah that's a dog ready to go! He doesn't need to get to anxious.... He'll have his work cut out soon enough

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/28/16 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Reaper
6 more days for me!

rofl

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/29/16 06:49 AM

46 Days to go!

Job 12:7 “But ask the beast and they will teach you; the birds of heaven, and they will tell you or the bushes of the Earth and they will teach you and the fish of the sea will declare to you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?”

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/30/16 06:43 AM

45 Days to go!

“If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to do…do it. Want to change the world? There’s nothing to it.”

---- Willy Wonka

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 08/31/16 06:55 AM

44 Days to go!

"Germany!?!"

---Alvin Holmes

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/01/16 07:02 AM

43 Days to go!

“As iron sharpens iron…..so one person sharpens another.”

----Proverbs 27:17

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/01/16 08:18 AM

44 Days to go!

"Germany!?!"

---Alvin Holmes

That thing has a neat color pattern to it.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/01/16 09:44 AM

That thing has a neat color pattern to it.

Yeah, that one does have a pretty coat. I agree.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/02/16 07:14 AM

42 Days to go!

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

---- Thomas Jefferson

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/03/16 07:17 AM

41 Days to go!

If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, ‘Roll, Tide, Roll".

---Paul “Bear” Bryant

Posted By: Possum Hunter

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/04/16 07:31 AM

40 days to go!!!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/04/16 08:23 AM

thumbup thumbup

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/05/16 08:05 AM

39 Days to go!

"We want happy paintings. Happy paintings. If you want sad things, watch the news."

--- Bob Ross

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/06/16 06:52 AM

38 Days to go!!!

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”

--- Dr. Suess

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/07/16 07:06 AM

37 Days to go!!!

Just a little humor this morning for the pumpkin spice fans..... grin

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/08/16 06:58 AM

36 Days to go!!!

"It is important not to confuse freedom with mere permissiveness."

---Theodore Kaczynski

Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/08/16 07:18 AM

I'm enjoying the hunting pics. Looks like the kids have alot of fun.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/08/16 07:40 AM

Originally Posted By: SuperSpike
I'm enjoying the hunting pics. Looks like the kids have alot of fun.

If any of you guys have a pic you'd like to post up....feel free to update the thread in the morning times with the new "Days to go" count along with your pic. thumbup

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/09/16 06:09 AM

35 days to go!!!!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/10/16 07:29 AM

34 Days to go!!!

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

--- Mike Tyson

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/11/16 05:31 AM

33 days to go!!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/12/16 08:21 AM

32 Days to go!!!

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

--- Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: Boom

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/12/16 08:43 PM

I gotta tighten up - I am NOT prepared. Gotta get going on my to-do list.

Booom

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/13/16 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Boom
I gotta tighten up - I am NOT prepared. Gotta get going on my to-do list.

Booom

Better hurry!....It's about to start getting real when we hit the twenties and teens. People will be giddy like little girls when get to single digits. grin

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/13/16 08:25 AM

31 Days to go!!!

“You just gotta keep on livin man…..L-I-V-I-N”

--- David Wooderson

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/13/16 10:11 AM

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/13/16 04:00 PM

I like that!...That's pretty good. grin

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/14/16 07:50 AM

30 Days to go!!!

“The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”

--- Aldo Leopold

Posted By: Smells

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/14/16 09:03 AM

“The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”

--- Aldo Leopold

If this is true, and I suspect it is, should it also apply to coyotes?

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/14/16 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Smells

--- Aldo Leopold

If this is true, and I suspect it is, should it also apply to coyotes?

It's definitely an interesting thought to ponder isn't it? If you'll start a new thread and post up the quote with the question, I bet you'll get a lot of responses. I doubt very many people will respond on this thread though so that it doesn't get derailed.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/14/16 12:11 PM

30 Days to go!!!

Hey, hey...my crew made it. beers Only a month fellas!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/15/16 07:41 AM

We're one day off on our countdown...gonna have to recalibrate. Holding on Day 30. frown

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/15/16 08:52 AM

It depends on if you count the day of bow season I never do cuz I'm gonna be hunting that day

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/15/16 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Muddybucks7
It depends on if you count the day of bow season I never do cuz I'm gonna be hunting that day

It starts on Sat the 15th....The day before (Friday the 14th), I'm counting it as if that morning we'll post up "1 day to go". Counting backwards from there I get 30 days from today. Correct?

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/15/16 09:37 AM

30 days it is. Here is one of the first bucks Otis found last year!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/15/16 09:46 AM

Awesome!....... beers
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/15/16 10:22 AM

Seems I remember that being a pretty good recovery story. Can you dig it up and post it?

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/15/16 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms
Seems I remember that being a pretty good recovery story. Can you dig it up and post it?

I thought I remembered writing a better story than this but I found it. It was probably the thread in its entirety that we are recalling........This was indeed Otis's first find of the year. beers

"That was a really fun track to watch unfold. Otis and I have been training for the last year and half and to watch all of that come together was just awesome. Otis is a really smart dog and I think he’ll sure enough be fun to watch when he gets some more experience. After watching him work, one of the instructors at the tracking seminar I attended over the summer said he was a “thinker”. As soon as he can learn to control his excitement then I think he’s going to be one heck of a dog. Right now he’s just so excited even on the training tracks that he’s about to pee on his leg while I’m suiting him up and then he has to cut doughnuts for a minute or two when I cut him loose.

He did the same thing yesterday at first, running sloppy circles wide open at the hit site. Once he calmed down a little though, I restarted him and you could see him start using his brain and nose. It didn’t take but 4 or 5 minutes after that and he found the deer. It wasn’t a long track at all really for that type of wound. The deer was probably within 200 yards of where the hunter shot it but it had taken a hard right out in that thick stuff compared to where the hunter thought it had gone. He was hunting in a good setup just off the edge of the thickness you see in the picture. If you had been looking blindly for this deer you would have likely followed the deer trail on out into the thickness that the hunter saw the deer exit on. This deer may have moved during the night but it actually wasn’t 80 yards or so from the edge of the cutover…..however, it was probably 100 yards or more down the hill from the trail the hunter saw him enter the cutover on. He either ran into the cutover and made a hard ninety degree turn once the hunter lost sight of him or he moved during the night. It would have been really easy to assume that the deer kept running the deer trail he was on. That's what they often do. This will be really interesting over time to see what these wounded deer do as compared to what I would have always assumed before when trying to track them on my own. Several trackers have told me that they also often have a tendency to double back on their trail."

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/15/16 01:57 PM

One important fact to this story was that we decided to let this deer lay over night. Prob 16 hours between shot and recovery. Rigamortis had not even set in yet when we found the buck so he hadn't been dead long. No telling how far he would've run if we would've pushed him that night. But because of Otis's hard work and our decision to stay out helped us recover this deer no more than a couple hundred yards from the shot.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/15/16 04:11 PM

One important fact to this story was that we decided to let this deer lay over night. Prob 16 hours between shot and recovery. Rigamortis had not even set in yet when we found the buck so he hadn't been dead long. No telling how far he would've run if we would've pushed him that night. But because of Otis's hard work and our decision to stay out helped us recover this deer no more than a couple hundred yards from the shot.

Amen!....I'll probably do another rant about it just before opening weekend but giving the deer plenty of time is something very few folks do.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/16/16 07:01 AM

29 Days to go!!!

Mathew 5: 43-47

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?”

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/17/16 07:37 AM

28 Days to go!!!

You have to save the habitat, you have to save the population - not individual animals. What you want to save is the foundation, the basic infrastructure from which resources are produced. You can't save Fifi and Boo-Boo and Thumper.”

--- Ted Nugent

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/18/16 08:34 AM

27 Days to go!!!

"Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind."

--- Bruce Lee

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/18/16 09:51 PM

28 Days to go!!!

You have to save the habitat, you have to save the population - not individual animals. What you want to save is the foundation, the basic infrastructure from which resources are produced. You can't save Fifi and Boo-Boo and Thumper.”

--- Ted Nugent

I remember this deer last year. That thing looks ancient.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/19/16 06:10 AM

26 days to go!!!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/19/16 05:33 PM

If any of you guys got a pic from last season you want to post up....post it up in the morning and update the countdown. thumbup
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/20/16 12:32 AM

25 days to go!!!!!!!!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/20/16 07:44 AM

thumbup thumbup

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/21/16 07:13 AM

24 Days to go!!!

"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance."

--- Thomas Sowell

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/22/16 07:12 AM

23 Days to go!!!

“Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help.”

--- Alex Haley

Posted By: Geno

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/22/16 12:45 PM

lol.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/23/16 07:44 AM

22 Days to go!!!

"Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves."

--- Abraham Lincoln

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/24/16 08:29 AM

21 Days to go!!!

Psalm 23

"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/25/16 06:59 AM

20 Days to go!!!

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."

--- Mark Twain

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/25/16 01:43 PM

Thats a good pic.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/25/16 09:19 PM

CNC, you've got some great pics on here! Love to see the smiles on the young ones. thumbup

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/26/16 05:49 AM

19 days to go.

Posted By: Smells

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/26/16 06:55 AM

19 days to go.

Better late than never!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/26/16 07:18 AM

thumbup

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/26/16 07:30 AM

19 days to go.

That makes me happy! From the sounds of it I've had a big pack move in around my place. Hope to take a couple out this fall.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/27/16 05:45 AM

18 days left

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/27/16 07:45 AM

Nice bucks!....Keep the pics going fellas.... Opening day is two weeks from Saturday!

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/28/16 07:16 AM

17 Days to go!!!

“Coach Gus Malzen will have the boys ready!”

-- Ben2

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/29/16 07:34 AM

16 Days to go!!!

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.”

--- Thomas Jeferson

Posted By: MarkAlan

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/29/16 08:13 AM

Very nice one.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 09/30/16 06:58 AM

15 Days to go!!!

"I make damn good biscuits boys!"

--- James

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/01/16 08:22 AM

14 Days to go!!!

Ecclesiastes 6:7

“All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.”

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/02/16 07:57 AM

13 Days to go!!!

Ecclesiastes 3

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/03/16 07:06 AM

12 Days to go!!!

"You can be broke but you cant be poor."

--- Ruthie-May Webster

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/03/16 09:17 AM

Predicting 83 and 54 for opening day. Oh boy! loco

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/03/16 01:13 PM

My current view, still counting down the days.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/03/16 03:50 PM

Predicting 83 and 54 for opening day. Oh boy! loco

It's gonna be extremely tough tracking conditions until we get some rain.....

Nice view SS! thumbup

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/04/16 07:10 AM

11 Days to go!!!

“A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”

--- Yogi Berra

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/05/16 08:28 AM

10 Days to go!!!

“In time of war, send me all the Alabamians you can get, but in time of peace, for Lord’s sake, send them to somebody else.”

--- General Edward H. Plummer

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/06/16 06:45 AM

9 Days to go!!!

Psalm 50 :10-11

"....for every animal of the forest is mine,and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird in the mountains,and the insects in the fields are mine....... "

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/07/16 07:26 AM

8 Days to go!!!

John 2:6

"The one who says he resides in God ought himself to walk just as Jesus walked."

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/08/16 07:25 AM

7 Days to go!!!

“Do or do not, there is no try”

--- Master Yoda

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/09/16 08:01 AM

6 Days to go!!!

"Give me 15 more minutes, I'm dreamin about beavers....."

--- Si Robertson

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/10/16 08:22 AM

5 Days to go!!!!!!!

John 3:16

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/11/16 07:23 AM

4 Days to go!!!!!!!

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me"

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/12/16 07:49 AM

3 Days to go!!!!!

"Hunting politics are stupid"

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/13/16 07:08 AM

2 Days to go!!!! shocked shocked shocked

Genesis 9: 2-3

“The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.”

Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/13/16 07:20 AM

I'm starting to get the jitters.
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/13/16 08:00 AM

I feel like i have been waiting on this saturday to be here for a year. This week has been a rough one, but all that goes down the drain Saturday morning when im 20ft up in a tree.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/13/16 08:11 AM

Man it dont feel like its hunting season already. Seems like the season just went out. Been a long time since I've hunted over dirt for food plots in bow season to but maybe I can have a repeat of last yr and shoot a good buck with my bow opening day.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/13/16 08:48 AM

I’m ready too. This cold air must make all the animals giddy. My dogs are damn near doing back flips first thing in the morning now that we're getting some cooler weather.

Re: The Official Countdown to Opening Day - 10/14/16 07:06 AM

1 Day to go!!!!! beers

The Lord's Prayer

"Our Father, which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, in earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory for ever and ever."

© 2024 ALDEER.COM