Aldeer.com

Best Clover for Alabama

Posted By: sbo1971

Best Clover for Alabama - 05/22/16 06:56 PM

So I am looking to add some spice to my food plots this year. As of right now I plant a mixture of Oats, Wheat, Winter Peas, and Rye. I am looking at adding some clover for an early season attractant to two of my food plots that hope to use at the start of the seasobn, would White Clover be best or Crimson?

Thanks.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/22/16 07:27 PM

I don't see very much usage of Crimson Clover by whitetails. The best I have used is Yucci Arrowleaf.

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/22/16 08:37 PM

I know the first time I threw out some throw and grow it had clover in it and the deer didn't touch it, not sure what kind it was though.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/22/16 08:59 PM

If it's doesn't have to be clover I'd add a barasica to the mix. Turnips or radish are an excellent attractant
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/22/16 09:19 PM

Kale and rape. I planted about 1/3 of an acre in an acre Greenfield last year. The deer mowed it to the ground by late season. Also had 1/3 acre of crimson clover. It really didn't take off till early spring.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/22/16 09:37 PM

Advantage Ladino.

You're welcome.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/22/16 11:19 PM

Durana clover works well
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 05:16 AM

Durana
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 06:09 AM

Different plants are attractive to deer at different times of the year. This is the reason for planting multiple forages. What deer prefer in your area, has a lot to do with what they have to eat as far as browse and nearby ag. Deer with limited ag available, eat what they have to. Deer love clover of all types. I see them eating crimson,yucchi, and all white clovers. I believe they prefer white clover the most. Typically its higher in protein. If your planting clover and the deer are not eating it, then you need to take a look at your soil.

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 08:56 AM

There is no ag in our area outside of who ever might have a personal garden. As far as browse, there is a lot of honeysuckle, muscadines, blackberries, and the usual from a cut over from 5 yrs ago and one from 9yrs ago. The deer are still feeding in the food plots, looks to mostly be the winter peas.

Thanks to all of you for your input, keep it coming.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 09:26 AM

Get your soil right then go with durana and yuchi. The deer are absolutely hammering mine right now.
Posted By: crocker

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 01:00 PM

another vote for Yuchi arrowleaf. Mine was 3ft tall a month ago. Now it has fallen over and deer are still wearin it out.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 01:10 PM

If I were you I would get a bunch of the ones as stated above and do a test plot. I've found that deer eat different things in different areas. The deer on our place in north Baldwin love yucchi. I put crimson out this year. They didn't really take to it like the yucchi. Gonna try Durana this year and see how they like it. I've heard a lot of good things about durana. I plant our clover throw and now style too. It seems to last longer that way and grow better.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 02:01 PM

Based on what I've seen planted, Ladino is a high yielding clover that most deer will gobble up. But, its pretty expensive stuff. We paid $180 for a 40lb bag, 2 years ago. Thankfully, it comes back for 5-7 years with proper care. I think the suggestion to try several types in a tet plot might give you a really good idea of what to expect come Fall.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Advantage Ladino.

You're welcome.

Of all the Ladinos, this is the one I like thumbup

I was told deer wouldn't eat Crimson at my farm, they hammered it! Kept 6 acres eaten down during the winter.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 07:10 PM

If you disc your plots up every year before fall planting, I would spend that money on turnips and radishes instead of clover. My clover doesn't really get going until the Spring.
Posted By: OcToBeRDrEaMiN67

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 07:17 PM

I have always had real good response to Osceola.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 07:19 PM

Don't plant any perennial white clover in a plot you plan on discing and planting each fall. Those clovers take a full year to 18 months to establish well and you'll be throwing money away each season. If you want a long lasting perennial plot then go for it. For a plot you plant each year of throw in 8 lbs of crimson and 8 lbs of arrowleaf into the mix. Crimson comes on strong in late winter and early spring, then arrowleaf explodes in late spring early summer.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Mbrock
Don't plant any perennial white clover in a plot you plan on discing and planting each fall. Those clovers take a full year to 18 months to establish well and you'll be throwing money away each season. If you want a long lasting perennial plot then go for it. For a plot you plant each year of throw in 8 lbs of crimson and 8 lbs of arrowleaf into the mix. Crimson comes on strong in late winter and early spring, then arrowleaf explodes in late spring early summer.

You're not kidding Matt . I planted Biologic non typical clover last fall and it took over in spring. Grows and spreads like a weed. Bush hogged it to encourage stolon development in daughter plants. I plan on just broadcasting brassicas, radish, & oats over it for Fall crop. Bush hog it 4-6 times and it will get hardier. And you can kill competition with right herbicide. It's my lazy spring summer plot that will come back next spring for 3-5 years if I take care of it & feed 0-20-20.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Mbrock

Maybe I'm the exception but I disk each year and have planted white clovers including Durana and disked the following fall. Instead of killing it , I think I helped it. I've sprayed and disked , I don't think you can kill the stuff.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/23/16 09:20 PM

2dogs, I've had it persists for years with light discing each fall. It does like that. Most folks disc it completely under.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/24/16 03:30 PM

Speaking of clover, is there a kind of poison that will kill everything BUT clover?
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/24/16 03:37 PM

Clethodium I believe

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/24/16 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Game Hunter
Speaking of clover, is there a kind of poison that will kill everything BUT clover?

Clethodim will kill weeds and grasses. 2-4DB will kill broadleafs. Neither will harm the clover, just be careful and don't spray 2-4D.

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/24/16 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 40Bucks
Based on what I've seen planted, Ladino is a high yielding clover that most deer will gobble up. But, its pretty expensive stuff. We paid $180 for a 40lb bag, 2 years ago. Thankfully, it comes back for 5-7 years with proper care. I think the suggestion to try several types in a tet plot might give you a really good idea of what to expect come Fall.

That's too much for Ladino clover. I get all my plot seed at the link below...

http://www.clemmonshamnerseed.com/
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/24/16 04:25 PM

lots of good info in this, some of my favorites are Advantage, durana, crimson and yucchi.

a good mix of each will do exactly what you want it to for at least 10 of 12 months.
Posted By: squatch

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/24/16 08:32 PM

i believe the turkeys like the crimson clover i added to my mix last fall and the deer seem to be really eating up the arrowleaf clover now.hopefully they will start eating the chickery soon and until i plow under in early sep. therefor having food in the plots all year long without having to plant summer plots.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/25/16 06:41 AM

Wiley, how's their shipping prices?
Posted By: CNC

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/25/16 07:32 AM

Anyone tried balansa clover yet?

Re: Best Clover for Alabama - 05/25/16 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
Wiley, how's their shipping prices?

I don't know. I buy directly from their operation since it's on the way to my TN lease. Give 'em a call. I guarantee they're good folks and they won't try to make money on shipping charges.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM