Aldeer.com

Freedom hills WMA

Posted By: deerfeeder89

Freedom hills WMA - 01/02/16 06:49 PM

Who has hunted it. Was thinking about trying to hunt it during their January hunts. Trying to get a heads up on what to expect. From what I can on maps looks like hardwoods with some pine thickets here and there. I'm not asking for your top secret, classified honey holes. Just some info on the place. Any info would be appreciated thanks in advance.
Posted By: tiger1432

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/02/16 07:10 PM

1/2 clearcut in last 2 years

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/02/16 07:54 PM

Ok thanks does it have a healthy deer population?
Posted By: tiger1432

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/02/16 07:57 PM

yes

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/02/16 08:02 PM

Ok my other post about our trip to Sam r murphry was a surprise for us all on how much of it had been clear cut since the last time we had been there
Posted By: TrkyHntr

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/02/16 09:53 PM

Lots of clearcuts with hardwoods and pine thickets too. The hunts this month will be best for seeing bucks. Usually start chasing hard around second week in January. I was planning on going in the morning but I've got this dang cough I can't seem to get rid of. I grew up around freedom hills, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Shane
Posted By: Vernon Tull

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: TrkyHntr
Lots of clearcuts with hardwoods and pine thickets too. The hunts this month will be best for seeing bucks. Usually start chasing hard around second week in January. I was planning on going in the morning but I've got this dang cough I can't seem to get rid of. I grew up around freedom hills, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Shane

Shane you ain't one of them CVHS boys are you?

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Vernon Tull
Originally Posted By: TrkyHntr

Shane

Shane you ain't one of them CVHS boys are you?
Yes I am

Shane

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 01:17 AM

[quote=TrkyHntr]Lots of clearcuts with hardwoods and pine thickets too. The hunts this month will be best for seeing bucks. Usually start chasing hard around second week in January. I was planning on going in the morning but I've got this dang cough I can't seem to get rid of. I grew up around freedom hills, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I figured they wound be chasing about that time that is about the same time they start in Franklin county where we hunt. Do they have any places to stay? We would likely stay two or three days
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 01:36 AM

I'v gone on the hunt the last weekend in Jan the past couple years and plan to again this year. I usually stay at that run down motel at the 4 way stop in Tuscumbia. I wish I knew somewhere better but it's the closest I know of that's a decent price. There's also a campground by check station just no water or power.

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 08:56 AM

Originally Posted By: desertdog
I'v gone on the hunt the last weekend in Jan the past couple years and plan to again this year. I usually stay at that run down motel at the 4 way stop in Tuscumbia. I wish I knew somewhere better but it's the closest I know of that's a decent price. There's also a campground by check station just no water or power.

desertdog is right. There's the campground close to the check station.

Shane

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 09:58 AM

Thanks guys ifor everything goes as planned I'll get to make it up there and hunt a new spot. I wonder if it's crowded looking at the dates figure there would be a bunch of folks hunting it on the weekends

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder89
Thanks guys ifor everything goes as planned I'll get to make it up there and hunt a new spot. I wonder if it's crowded looking at the dates figure there would be a bunch of folks hunting it on the weekends
The weekend days are usually more crowded than the other days in my experience hunting there.

Shane

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 10:40 AM

If I could get rid of this dang cough, I would have been there this morning.

Shane

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 02:16 PM

Ok thanks Shane maybe you can get up there and kill one soon I'll try to go next weekend

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 03:31 PM

Good luck if you get to go. Had a friend go this morning. He saw 20 deer all together. Said 18 does and 2 bucks, but both were young and didn't want to shoot. He was watching a clear cut.

Shane

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 06:33 PM

That'd be more deer then I seen all season
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 07:16 PM

Hmmmmmm, I thought there wasn't any does left around here.

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper
Hmmmmmm, I thought there wasn't any does left around here.

Depends on who you ask lol

Shane

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 09:41 PM

That'd be more deer then I seen all season
it's not uncommon to see double digits of deer in a single sit on freedom hills. Just have to be in the right spot.

Shane

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/03/16 10:37 PM

Seems like this sounds a lot like Bankhead depends on who you ask
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/04/16 12:50 AM

Seems like this sounds a lot like Bankhead depends on who you ask

Ha' If you see double digits in Bankhead in one sit you would be hunting illegal at night and have a case of the sore azz due to your 3 day sit.

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/04/16 01:21 AM

There's no doubt in that. I ment it as in it depends on who you ask about the place not necessarily the number of deer seen. Most I've ever seen a one time in Bankhead was two a 6 point and a spike, the 6 point wouldn't present a shot aND the spike was fun to blow the grunt at to watch him run up the and look to see if the "big deer" was following,then he'd ease back down to check it out and we'd repeat
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/13/16 03:14 PM

Can anyone speak to which side of the WMA receives the most hunting pressure, or if it's basically equal? When I say side I'm referring to Zones A & B they have it split into, East and West of CR21.

I live very close to the WMA, but fairly new to the area and never been on one of the gun hunts. Would like to try it out before the season's up.

Re: Freedom hills WMA - 01/13/16 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: NWALJM
Can anyone speak to which side of the WMA receives the most hunting pressure, or if it's basically equal? When I say side I'm referring to Zones A & B they have it split into, East and West of CR21.

I live very close to the WMA, but fairly new to the area and never been on one of the gun hunts. Would like to try it out before the season's up.
Both sides see about the same amount of pressure.

Shane
© 2024 ALDEER.COM