Aldeer.com

Putting up a new ground blind.

Posted By: tarmac3030

Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 05:58 PM

How will this affect deer movement and for how long? I brushed it in, and has been sitting for two weeks now. My trail cam activity went from tons of activity to hardly anything. Not even seeing coyote activity anymore. Did I screw up a good thing or should I leave it alone? FWIW, I'm a noob hunter, and this is on private land that only I and my brother in law hunt.
Posted By: jsmith51

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 06:01 PM

Whats it watching? Plot, acorns?
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 06:05 PM

It probably stinks since its new. Let them get used to it.

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 06:06 PM

It's off to the side of a logging rd between a pine thicket and hardwood bottom.

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 06:10 PM

Sounds like a good spot, hunt it this weekend with the cooler weather coming in. They are probably bedding in th pines and eating the acorns. Dont overhunt it and they will get used to it. Good luck

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 06:18 PM

I think I'm going to back off and give it a couple of weeks.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 06:37 PM

At least let it rain on it good.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 06:41 PM

I set my ground blind up Thursday morning and killed a buck out of it then went back Friday morning and killed a second buck out of it. I've never had it spook a deer that I know about.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 06:48 PM

The key is to brush it in really good. I have killed two 130+ deer out of a ground blind that was set up the day before. Take the time and brush it in super good and you will be fine.

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 07:22 PM

Opening weekend of bow season this year i made a blind out of limbs and arrowed a seven point at five yards. He was wondering what that bush was doing there lol but by then it was too late.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 08:05 PM

Noob haha. Yeah it can spook them but give it a while and they will become comfortable with it.
Posted By: Goose11

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 08:20 PM

I bet the blind isn't what is keeping the deer away from that spot, it's probably just this weather. Our cams have almost no activity since this heat started last week. When the cold returns, you'll be right back in business! Go hunt! : )
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 11/30/15 08:47 PM

In two weeks they wont even notice it.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 12/01/15 08:51 AM

To me, its better to set it up and hunt immediately, or let it sit a couple weeks, with it brushed in good. I wouldn't set it up then hunt the next day. My grandson killed a 4ptr during youth season out of a pop-up. It wasn't brushed in and i was afraid it would spook the deer, but it didn't. He looked at it but it didn't seem to bother him. It probably would have bothered a mature buck, not sure. If ya'll don't have a blind, the one at walmart for $88 bucks is well worth it, can't remember the name. Its really roomy and a breeze to set up and take down. I wish the bag was bigger. Tad heavy, but a great blind.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 12/02/15 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
To me, its better to set it up and hunt immediately, or let it sit a couple weeks, with it brushed in good. I wouldn't set it up then hunt the next day.

^^^THIS^^^^

I also air it out a couple of days at home before I use for the 1st time.
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 12/02/15 07:58 PM

I set up a new one Friday afternoon on a little plot about 150 yards from my back door. It is sitting in some tall sage but not brushed in. I can clearly see it from my house. It is aprox 10 yrds from the edge of the field. That's the only place to put it. When I left out yesterday morning at 7;35, there were 3 does standing within 20 feet of the blind grazing. I will be setting in it in the morning at daylight.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Putting up a new ground blind. - 12/07/15 11:49 PM

It won't effect movement at all after a few days (if that)
© 2024 ALDEER.COM