Aldeer.com

Barnes ammo?

Posted By: forten

Barnes ammo? - 11/26/15 04:31 PM

anyone use the ammo pictured above? Got a box from a friend of mine that his dad gave to him, he kept a box and gave me a box. Most seem to use them on big game, not as effective on deer size game, seems the brass is so hard and zips through instead of mushrooming. That's just me doing some Google research, so figured somebody here uses them and give me there opinion. Thanks.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 04:52 PM

Excellent bullet right there! Use it you will like the results.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 05:24 PM

When using that stuff, light for caliber is the game. The faster its going, the better it works. It's nasty.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 05:26 PM

Get em going fast and they are the best Bullet there is. That stuff you have will cut a deer in half
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 05:26 PM

I had some one time in 270 it was a blue bullet seems like. It was terrible! Would not shoot consistently out of my gun. That was a long time ago if they are still around they must have got that fixed!
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 05:35 PM

It probably won't expand in 100 yards or less, but it will kill. It's most efficient range world be 150 yards plus, in my opinion.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BOFF
It probably won't expand in 100 yards or less, but it will kill. It's most efficient range world be 150 yards plus, in my opinion.

God Bless,
David B.

Please don't take offense to this but that's about as wrong as you can possibly get concerning those bullets. The faster they are traveling the better they perform.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/26/15 05:55 PM

130gr Barnes TTSX .270STW 3600fps expands at 50yds or 500yds. The faster u push them the better they perform but will also open up at lower velocities.

Posted By: Haybale

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/26/15 06:00 PM

I shoot them in a 260. They will destroy a deers insides. I want to push mine faster.

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/26/15 06:06 PM

I try to get all mine above 3100 fps but really like it above 3300 in most all my rifles

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben2
I had some one time in 270 it was a blue bullet seems like. It was terrible! Would not shoot consistently out of my gun. That was a long time ago if they are still around they must have got that fixed!

I had a box of those same bullets and hated them. I love the TSX now though, but we have been using them in 223 and shortly ill be using them in 243 also. I've been very impressed. We had another pass through with the 223 in 55gr this morning.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 06:35 PM

I got some for my 270. Also loading them for my son's 7mm-08. Got them going around 3100 fps.

Haven't shot anything with either yet
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 06:54 PM

I'm gonna try some Accubonds in my 25-06 and 270 Win, but may swap to the TTSX. I bet my 7mm SAUM with 140 grain TTSX would be some bad elk medicine next Fall.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 07:01 PM

I had some Winchester Failsafes, they are worthless for a whitetail. I shot several and they all passed thru without expanding. The deer when down but got back up and left.
I switched to Accubond, they drop like flys now.
If your bullets are not expanding change or you will loose deer !

winchester 140 gr accubonds
Posted By: MGrubber

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 07:04 PM

Just shot a mule deer and a white tail on the trip to Nebraska with my son (team duckdown). They perform flawlessly out of my abolt 300wsm. Shot almost to same POA as my Winchester supremes, only had to move 2 clicks. Both deer pass thrus with massive exit wounds even when busting shoulders. My new go to bullet.

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
I had some Winchester Failsafes, they are worthless for a whitetail. I shot several and they all passed thru without expanding. The deer when down but got back up and left.
I switched to Accubond, they drop like flys now.
If your bullets are not expanding change or you will loose deer !

winchester 140 gr accubonds

I agree. I like the TSX in light fast calibers but a Accubond can't be beat for larger calibers IMO. They are the perfect blend of expansion and penetration. You dot have to push them that fast in order for them to work.

All my shots with accubonds have been pass throughs with quarter to half dollar size exit wounds. Ill continue to use them in my 270.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben2

I bought some of those at Marks several years ago when my wife ran out of ammo mid season. I fired one shot and it hit good, so we went hunting. She missed a really huge drop tine buck at 250 yards, shot 2 feet under him.

Back at the range those shells were hitting 2 feet low at 250 yards, and had maybe a 10" group/pattern. WTH. I took em back to Marks. My fault for not really checking em out on the range but I never figgered they would do that badly.

Haven't shot a Barnes bullet since and don't plan to...

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 07:47 PM

Well that's a shame cause you're overlooking a good bullet. Between Accubonds and ttsx there's really no other one Id consider.

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: BrentM

Originally Posted By: BOFF

God Bless,
David B.

Please don't take offense to this but that's about as wrong as you can possibly get concerning those bullets. They faster they are traveling the better they perform.

No offense taken.

I loaded up several bunches of 3 each of the 180gr. Barnes TSX bullets in .5 grain powder differences for my 300 Weatherby.
I never could get a good group as much as I wanted it to work out using that bullet.

I THOUGHT I remembered that grain bullet wasn't recommended for 100 yards and shorter, particularly on lighter game, due to no expansion. I'll have to go back and review.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 08:15 PM

Boff try some 150's or 168's in that 300 Wby. Load em .050" off the lands and if that don't work back them up to about .080" off. You could get those 150's moving on pretty good and have a low recoil load that would be plenty destructive on whitetails and also shot end to end through any elk on the planet.

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 08:40 PM

Boff try some 150's or 168's in that 300 Wby. Load em .050" off the lands and if that don't work back them up to about .080" off. You could get those 150's moving on pretty good and have a low recoil load that would be plenty destructive on whitetails and also shot end to end through any elk on the planet.

I'm currently shooting 165 Hornady spire points, with 3 shots touching. I only loaded them, as that is what I had plenty of at the time. They have done well with the deer I have shot, but I haven't shot anything over 150lbs with them, and haven't taken many shoulder shots.

I picked up some Barnes TTSX 168gr from Simmons, but haven't had time to load them yet. I know the 300 is WAY overkill, I just shoot the rifle well and have confidence in it.

I still want to get a 180 gr load for an Elk trip.

Appreciate the suggestions!! Didn't mean to high jack the thread.

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 08:51 PM

No hi-jack, I'm reading and learning. Brent m, are these 165 gr with the 300 light enough? Also what's the difference in the ttsx and the tsx I have?

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 08:55 PM

The ttsx means tipped with the blue tip. Regular tsx is an open nose similar to hollow point tip. I got a friend killed 3 does on his MS farm last week with that exact bullet in 300 WSM and all were 300plus yds and DRT. 165 is perfect. I'm gonna shoot that when my 300WM gets here next week.

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 08:58 PM

Thanks 257
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 09:08 PM

Get em going fast and they are the best Bullet there is. That stuff you have will cut a deer in half

I took Brent's advice/tips over a year ago and loaded up on 150g 308 Barnes TTSX. I worked up a high speed (2850 FPS) load that my gun liked and hunted it all last season. I took 3 deer with them with fantastic results. Only one ran any significant distance but the blood trail looked like a stoned artist stumbled thru a hippie convention with several buckets of paint.
Posted By: Wadenthebushes

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
The ttsx means tipped with the blue tip. Regular tsx is an open nose similar to hollow point tip. I got a friend killed 3 does on his MS farm last week with that exact bullet in 300 WSM and all were 300plus yds and DRT. 165 is perfect. I'm gonna shoot that when my 300WM gets here next week.

257--which model Weatherby did you get?

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 09:23 PM

Got a Sendero 300 Win mag headed to me.
Posted By: Wadenthebushes

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 09:57 PM

10-4. Thought you meant 300 WBY. May pull the trigger next year on a Accumark but I see from their website that they have changed the design. Gonna have to go look at one of the 2016 models to see if I like it.
Posted By: Aubcubfan

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 11:21 PM

I shoot the 150gr TTSX out of my 30.06. I've killed four deer with them and all had devastating internal damage and a huge exit hole. The Barnes bullets are designed to pass thru. There are some videos on the Barnes website describing how the bullet is designed to work. As others have mentioned, they recommend you using a lighter Barnes bullet than you normally would. If you are a hand loader, Barnes will give you whatever load data you need over the phone. They have great customer service.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/26/15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Aubcubfan
If you are a hand loader, Barnes will give you whatever load data you need over the phone. They have great customer service.

I can vouch for this. they we're very helpful when I was working up a load for my T3. Sent me PDF load tables and gave good suggestions over the phone
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Barnes bullets - 11/27/15 08:30 AM

Barnes VOR-TX is my go too factory ammo for my 7mm-08 (120TTSX)and 270 (130TTSX). Both shoot one inch groups and have killed effectively at 3 bucks various ranges. Heart/lung shot(270) at 75yds, 50yd death run; 165 yd high shoulder shot(270) at last light, DRT; 50 yd heart shot(7mm-08) on buck below, 30 yd dash before a tree reminded him he was dead, internal blown up.

Posted By: 59Hunter

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/27/15 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: forten
anyone use the ammo pictured above? Got a box from a friend of mine that his dad gave to him, he kept a box and gave me a box. Most seem to use them on big game, not as effective on deer size game, seems the brass is so hard and zips through instead of mushrooming. That's just me doing some Google research, so figured somebody here uses them and give me there opinion. Thanks.

I use the same bullet in a 300 wsm. It has killed everything from coyotes, pigs and deer to 700 lbs Nilgai with great results. Was my go-to South Texas round because you could take out both shoulders and drop the deer quickly- the mesquite/brush was so thick you risked losing a deer if it ran 75 yards.

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/27/15 03:15 PM

Just sighted them in, cutting holes. Off to try them on deer now.

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/27/15 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: forten
Just sighted them in, cutting holes. Off to try them on deer now.

Good luck pal
Posted By: hoytboy14

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/27/15 04:25 PM

I shoot the 130 grain ttsx out of my sig shr970 in.270 and it is the most accurate of any shells I've shot, makes killer blood trails and puts them down quick
Posted By: cpkwilson

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/27/15 09:39 PM

The 80 grain .243 is an awesome round.
Posted By: Tin_Man

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/28/15 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By: cpkwilson
The 80 grain .243 is an awesome round.

I shot a doe last year with .243 80 grain. It's so fast she never knew she was hit. She walked 5 steps and fell over dead. I love Barnes ammo.
Posted By: 59Hunter

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/28/15 09:56 AM

The 80grain .243 is bad medicine. Hits deer/coyotes like Thor's hammer.

Re: Barnes ammo? - 11/28/15 07:47 PM

I've got the 80 grainers starting a little over 3400 Fps out of a 20" barrel in my model seven using Superformance powder. . Shooting under 1/2" groups too. Make a deer bad sick
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Barnes bullets - 12/12/15 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: lefthorn
I got some for my 270. Also loading them for my son's 7mm-08. Got them going around 3100 fps.

Haven't shot anything with either yet

Update, son shot a spike today with his 7-08 that I had reloaded with TTSX. Performed awesome. Was not a very long shot, about 40 yards. Went through both shoulders. Deer ran about 20 yards. When I gutted him, you couldn't even tell there were lungs in there. Complete mush. Exit wound was about the size of one of those big pencils you wrote with as a kid.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: Barnes bullets - 12/13/15 07:08 AM

That picture ie exactly what I use. 300wm. I have been using them for a couple years and just love them.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM