Aldeer.com

Clear cut burning

Posted By: Mascot

Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 07:59 AM

So I get down to my club this morning, pin out and while driving to my stand see that basically half our land has been burned recently still some small fires smoke and smoldering. The stand I was going to looked like a nuclear bomb went off. Question is how much does this impact the deer?? I would think they came in with heavy machinery, set things ablaze and really caused a ruckus. Not sure how deer take to all that and the lingering fires/smoke.....
Posted By: countryjwh

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 08:03 AM

They curious. If hunt it.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 08:17 AM

It's not near as bad on deer as it is on slow moving turtles, lizards and other animals.
Posted By: trox28

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 08:36 AM

First year they burnt the clearcut I hunt it was crispy.I mean everything burn but the deer loved it for some reason.I'd hunt the chit out of it.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 09:06 AM

Can't hurt to hunt it. Some clear cut was burned just up the road from us this week. Looks wild at night. Just look at it this way, if you shoot one you got a fire to cook it on.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 09:44 AM

Any turkey hunters in your club? Let's make a deal.
Posted By: DCL

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 10:07 AM

Hunt it hard deer are curious animals. Hunted a burnt clear cut in january last year and as soon as the equipment moved out the deer moved in. Deer did not give a rip about the smoldering piles
Posted By: UARandy3

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 10:20 AM

Our lease just got burned yesterday, so interested in responses as well.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 10:31 AM

Lots of leases getting burned recently. Saw one burning the other night in Macon county
Posted By: DCL

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 10:33 AM

Not as sure about early in the year but after we burnt our clear cut in january last season there were tracks on top of tracks. Deer loved walking the firelanes where the dozier ran. Hunted two stands for a week straight and cant recall not seeing a deer. Piles were smolding a week later and the deer never checked up. Almost seemed to pull them in. Saw does and bucks of diff sizes just not one big enough to tape a dirt nap
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 08:22 PM

Could this have something to do with Wayerhouser buying Plum Creek?
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/26/15 08:34 PM

Probably not, just common site prep for planting trees.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/27/15 08:20 AM

They are burning our clear cuts now. One more section to go then plant the long leafs.
Posted By: Wade

Re: Clear cut burning - 11/27/15 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Mascot
So I get down to my club this morning, pin out and while driving to my stand see that basically half our land has been burned recently still some small fires smoke and smoldering. The stand I was going to looked like a nuclear bomb went off. Question is how much does this impact the deer?? I would think they came in with heavy machinery, set things ablaze and really caused a ruckus. Not sure how deer take to all that and the lingering fires/smoke.....

Some of the best hunting we ever had was clear cut that was burned to the dirt.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM