Aldeer.com

Ruger American opinions.

Posted By: khunter

Ruger American opinions. - 11/25/15 10:15 PM

Have a friend looking to switch to 7mm-08. He just emailed me this link. Looks like a good deal, but will take the scope off and mount a Ziess to it. Haven't had much experience with this model but have heard good things about Ruger rifles in general. Opinions and is it a good price? Thanks!
Posted By: AC870

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/25/15 10:52 PM

I like the American. I put a little comparison of the M77 vs American on the Guns and Gear section that has received some comments.
Posted By: nacho

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/25/15 10:56 PM

I like mine no issues or complaints. We have the tiger Americans in 308 and 270.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/25/15 11:15 PM

Call me crazy but putting a Zeiss scope on an American just seems rather insane.
Posted By: skip

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/25/15 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: AU7MM08
Call me crazy but putting a Zeiss scope on an American just seems rather insane.
Why? That Zeiss won't hurt the value of that rifle at all. Buy the best glass you can afford regardless of what you're gun shooting.

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 12:10 AM

He's was given a Remington 710 as a present a long time ago. Couple of years ago, the scope crapped out and a good buddy sold him a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 for $400. I've shot his rifle, and it sucks. Groups ok, but fit and finish is sub par. Follow up shots are almost impossible due to sticky bolt. Just not a good rifle. He's looking to spend around $400 for a used or new rifle in 7mm08. For $399, he was considering it. I'm trying to talk him into the Steyr on sale for $699 cool

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: AC870
I like the American. I put a little comparison of the M77 vs American on the Guns and Gear section that has received some comments.

Just read it, thanks!
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 07:46 AM

Originally Posted By: khunter

He's was given a Remington 710 as a present a long time ago. Couple of years ago, the scope crapped out and a good buddy sold him a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 for $400. I've shot his rifle, and it sucks. Groups ok, but fit and finish is sub par. Follow up shots are almost impossible due to sticky bolt. Just not a good rifle. He's looking to spend around $400 for a used or new rifle in 7mm08. For $399, he was considering it. I'm trying to talk him into the Steyr on sale for $699 cool

He might be able to work a deal at second season and trade that remington 710 in on a steyr. He would be a little over budget but not much maybe an extra 100-150
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 07:47 AM

Just one thing to keep in mind 7mm08 ammo has been next to impossible to find in a store around here
Posted By: burbank

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 07:52 AM

Buy the American. He can sell that scope for 100 bucks easily.

He won't find a more accurate rifle for the money.
Posted By: Wool

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 08:42 AM

I bought the American Compact in 7mm-08 for my 9 & 12 year old daughters. It's certainly not a 700 action, but much smoother than some of the other rifles in its price range. I put a $180 Nikon on it, and it's producing 1" groups with Hornady American Whitetail ammo. Youngest daughter shot a 210 lb 8 point Saturday afternoon; he made it all of 30 yards.

When I get the chance to rifle hunt by myself, I'll probably take the American and leave the 7mag in the safe.

I've seen ammo at several places in Tuscaloosa lately.

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 08:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
Just one thing to keep in mind 7mm08 ammo has been next to impossible to find in a store around here

Not a problem. Buddy in the hunting group shoots 7mm08 and reloads. Using 140 gr accubond and it's been deadly out his rifle and my .280 rem

Btw, where is second season?
Posted By: frezznh2o

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 09:31 AM

I just bought a like new .308 american compact yesterday for $300. Guy bought it then decided it was to short for him. I think with a jacket on it will be perfect. 18" barrel and only 6lbs. Going to sight it in after lunch and ill report back. Its a cheap rifle but trigger is fantastic on mine and bolt is slick.

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 10:01 AM

The ammo situation and some sparse blood trails are why I went to .243. May not help with the blood trail but the ammo is everywhere and it's usually about $10 a box cheaper than 7-08. But a downside is that I wouldn't hesitate to take the 7-08 elk hunting and I wouldn't do that with .243. If I get serious about going on elk trip I'll probably buy an 06 or 270. And my American wears a Zeiss and I like it.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 10:34 AM

The ammo situation and some sparse blood trails are why I went to .243. May not help with the blood trail but the ammo is everywhere and it's usually about $10 a box cheaper than 7-08. But a downside is that I wouldn't hesitate to take the 7-08 elk hunting and I wouldn't do that with .243. If I get serious about going on elk trip I'll probably buy an 06 or 270. And my American wears a Zeiss and I like it.

You were getting a bad blood trail from a 7mm-08, so you went to a smaller, lighter, less powerful round?
Posted By: RonBuck

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 10:48 AM

I just bought the exact same setup the other day for my boy . I really like it it's a sweet shooting little rifle and perfect for long walks .
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: doekiller

You were getting a bad blood trail from a 7mm-08, so you went to a smaller, lighter, less powerful round?

My thinking also...I would be trying different bullets not the opposite.

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 02:09 PM

I shot several different bullets. It was ammo availability as much as anything. I'm just saying there can be a blood trail issue with 7-08. I found almost everything I shot with it but sometimes it was walking the way deer ran and coming across body. I'd say probably 30-40 percent of time. Those Winchester black bullets with gray tips were a great killing bullet.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 03:54 PM

I shot several different bullets. It was ammo availability as much as anything. I'm just saying there can be a blood trail issue with 7-08. I found almost everything I shot with it but sometimes it was walking the way deer ran and coming across body. I'd say probably 30-40 percent of time. Those Winchester black bullets with gray tips were a great killing bullet.

I've never understood this line of thinking. So do all 7mm bullets have this issue? Once the bullet leaves the barrel the case it came from has absolutely 0 effect. So does a 7mm Rem mag have the same issue? How's about a 7STW? 7x57? 280 Rem? 7WSM? Of course not. So to say that 7'08s don't leave a blood trail is ludicrous.

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 05:06 PM

I just know the experience I had. Never shot any other 7mm calibers. Did some reading on Internet that others have seen same thing. I'm certainly no expert on it but I had to find several deer by body searching. I enjoyed the caliber.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 07:17 PM

You're crazy grin

What's actually crazy is putting a $100 scope on top of a $1,000 rifle.
Posted By: icducks

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 09:21 PM

you can buy them online for 300 or less. I think buds has them for 350 and have a 308 for 300
Posted By: RonBuck

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 09:28 PM

I'd put a Ziess on top of my pecker if I thought it would improve my chances .
Posted By: burbank

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/26/15 10:04 PM

With the Deez Nutz reticle? I have the same scope. smile

Originally Posted By: RonBuck
I'd put a Ziess on top of my pecker if I thought it would improve my chances .
Posted By: M4J0RT0M

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 11/30/15 04:37 PM

Ruger has hit it out of the park with their American series. I had a .308 compact and it was very accurate with my handloads. I was getting sub moa groups with a Primary Arms mil dot scope at 100 yards.

The trigger on mine was very very nice and the action was smooth enough. Not as smooth as other rifles but very nice for the money. I killed my first two deer with that rifle.
Posted By: Whiz

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 12/01/15 10:34 AM

[quote=burbank]With the Deez Nutz reticle? I have the same scope. smile

LMAO I started using a 7mm-08 this year, loving it. I buy ammo at Sportmans Guide whent hey have free shipping but I have seen it on the shelf at Academy as well.
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 12/01/15 11:33 AM

Bought one last week. 243 compact for the wife. 359 new, put Nikon buckmasters bdc reticle. Sighted in yesterday. Impressed me. Birmingham pistol in trussville.
Posted By: CubsFan

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 12/01/15 02:23 PM

I love my American. I own a 30-06. Bought mine bare with no scope from bass pro on sale for like $400. I would find somewhere selling minus the scope if you're trying to put your own on. Save you a couple hundred.

But yeah love my American. Great Value
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Ruger American opinions. - 12/01/15 02:43 PM

I bought a Ruger American compact in 7-08 for my wife last year. For the money it is a great gun, accuracy is very good. I put a Nikon on it and with American whitetail ammo I can get just under moa groups, with corelokts I can get right at 1 moa. I have my eye open for one in .270 SS.

If you do your part that cartridge will absolutely kill. My wife smoked a 235# boar last Saturday and dropped him. THen she smoked a 125# sow on the run, might have made it 5 yards.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM