Aldeer.com

Would you hunt active logging area?

Posted By: fishingbucks

Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/17/15 08:58 PM

Pines are being thinned on part of our property through most of the season. Heavy canopy before thinning so didn't hold a lot of deer to begin with the last several years. How does logging affect deer activity? Green fields near decks are up and not being touched but on non logging area green fields getting regular browse already. They log through the week and would be hunting on weekends so not when the machines are running.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/17/15 09:05 PM

One of my leases was thinned a few years ago. They started the week after thanksgiving and left about the middle of Jan. Saw more deer that year than any year since. Don't know why. They just moved all day, every day.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/17/15 09:06 PM

Yes.

Back when it was 1 buck a day, a guy i know killed 17 bucks one season running a dozer for a logging crew. Granted most were spikes and basket racks, the deer were there.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/17/15 09:07 PM

I have a little exposure to this. I would hunt it as much as possible.

Obviously, safety being number one priority for you and the logging crew. And some timber companies may have some restrictions. If it's a lease - check the lease language to make sure everything's good.
Posted By: click-boom

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/17/15 09:28 PM

Hunt it. Thank me later.
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/17/15 10:43 PM

^^^Loggers have told me they carry a 30-30 in the logging machines. And I often saw deer within 15-30 min on the cams after seeing a logging truck go by...
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/17/15 11:01 PM

During the process of logging they are putting more than trees on the ground. They are also pulling the green tender browse down to ground level that the deer have not been able to reach. In other words, they are putting food in the deer's mouth that they ordinarily wouldn't be able to get.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/17/15 11:13 PM

Ride with them on the skidders and see how deer you see. You will probably need more shells. I followed a skidder in one morning and as soon as he got out of sight I shot a big ol nine point. Also deer are curious if they stop cutting in the afternoons before dark go sit on top of one the deer will come out and eat the tender browse.
Posted By: DeerTracker

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/17/15 11:14 PM

Happened to me abt 7 years ago. Saw a few deer entire season. It was miserable with tractors running all over lease. There were two crews. Stopped about 30 minutes before dark and worked Saturdays. They tore up about all the food plots we had planted and paid $50 more to plant . Not a good e perience for me.
Posted By: trox28

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 12:07 AM

I've hunted off dozierz and trackhoes in a gravel pit before and seen alotta deer.I'd hunt it every second the crew wasn't there logging.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 12:30 AM

Same way for tractors and combines. Back in Dallas county before the pine days we carried rifles in our cotton pickers and combines. You'd be surpised at the big deer that come check equipment out. We kill a pile of coyotes off combines too. It's a dinner bell for those critters.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
Same way for tractors and combines. Back in Dallas county before the pine days we carried rifles in our cotton pickers and combines. You'd be surpised at the big deer that come check equipment out. We kill a pile of coyotes off combines too. It's a dinner bell for those critters.

That's called hunting the tractor stand in my neck of the woods.
Posted By: msims767

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 06:39 AM

Yes hunt it
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 07:18 AM

First of all, find out if its legal. On most leases its illegal to hunt within 1/4 mile of a logging operation.
Posted By: Bankhead3471

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By: MTeague
During the process of logging they are putting more than trees on the ground. They are also pulling the green tender browse down to ground level that the deer have not been able to reach. In other words, they are putting food in the deer's mouth that they ordinarily wouldn't be able to get.

You are correct.
Posted By: WidowMaker10

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 08:02 AM

What Mteague said is exactly right. Also, have you ever noticed all the tracks the next day after you disc or plow a field? They love fresh dirt and the equipment exposes lots of it. They're after the minerals in the soil.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 08:05 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
First of all, find out if its legal. On most leases its illegal to hunt within 1/4 mile of a logging operation.

It isn't illegal. It may be against the lease agreement, but it isn't a law.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By: doekiller
Originally Posted By: blumsden

It isn't illegal. It may be against the lease agreement, but it isn't a law.

Well, yea i guess i said that wrong. It will violate the lease agreement and possibly cause you some headaches.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Would you hunt active logging area? - 11/18/15 09:13 AM

Hell yes!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM