Aldeer.com

Anyone been on a DIY to Indiana or Ohio??

Posted By: todd w

Anyone been on a DIY to Indiana or Ohio?? - 10/09/15 10:37 AM

Or any other options for an unplanned post rut hunt? not really wanting to do IL.

Mainly looking for suggested counties or public land, etc.

We have the itch to travel and hunt, but didn't plan to being so busy this year.

Thanks ahead of time.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Anyone been on a DIY to Indiana or Ohio?? - 10/09/15 11:57 AM

A friend of mine goes during Thanksgiving every year to Indiana and huntsa there management area's. They always take some really nice deer. Several in the 150's. If they can kill these deer, anybody can.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anyone been on a DIY to Indiana or Ohio?? - 10/09/15 12:15 PM

There are some good and big management areas in Southern Indiana. Right off 65 take the exit to Versailles, IN and there is one on both sides of that road. I had a lease a few miles from Versailles and a few miles from there that was very good deer hunting.

In Southern Ohio just east of Cinncinati is a big management area as well. There is another one further north that is supposed to be better too, and have less people .

Good luck
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Anyone been on a DIY to Indiana or Ohio?? - 10/09/15 01:09 PM

We went to Ohio about 10 years ago. Several folks recommended Coshocton Co in NE Ohio, so that's where we wound up. I absolutely HATED it with three purple passions. Try to stay "south" in either state if you can. The terrain in south Ohio is ag land, very flat, loaded with deer. As we got further north it became mountainous and THICK as all get out! There were deer where we went, but it was virtually inaccessible. There would be several trucks parked at any road/entry point, the land was steep, and it was so thick you couldn't traverse it. I was very frustrated with it.

Re: Anyone been on a DIY to Indiana or Ohio?? - 10/10/15 04:04 PM

Thanks guys
Posted By: BuckSlayer84

Re: Anyone been on a DIY to Indiana or Ohio?? - 10/10/15 04:35 PM

I've been going up to south west Indiana just outside Bloomington the last 2 years on private land. I killed a big mature buck each year I have gone. I have some buddies who have got some pretty impressive deer from public land in western Kentucky.

Re: Anyone been on a DIY to Indiana or Ohio?? - 10/12/15 08:40 PM

are you going with an outfitter?
Posted By: BuckSlayer84

Re: Anyone been on a DIY to Indiana or Ohio?? - 10/12/15 08:52 PM

I have not. I hunt on my wife's families land. Her great uncle is a farmer and he let me come up every year. And yes I married up in multiple ways...
© 2024 ALDEER.COM