Aldeer.com

Quality or Quantity

Posted By: goodman_hunter

Quality or Quantity - 10/09/15 08:21 AM

We have some foodplots that are planted on the edges of ag fields once there harvested. So would y'all go with quantity or quality or a little of both? For instance a 5 way mix in a small area, and a larger area planted next to it in something cheap like feed wheat or oats? And for the smaller plots, Should they just be a 4 way or should I also throw in a small quantity of several other seeds for variety?
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Quality or Quantity - 10/09/15 08:28 AM

I've seen both work...but if it all comes down to it, I'll take larger everyday. I don't like sitting on plots in the morning, so I'm always thinking afternoon when designing food plots. I want to draw as many deer as possible to my location and the more food I have, the more deer I seem to draw. By the way, wheat and oats work just fine and make up 90% of what we plant every year. wink
Posted By: Boxman

Re: Quality or Quantity - 10/09/15 11:21 AM

I have always been of the mind to plant every available acre that I can afford to plant. The more the merrier. I once top sowed feed wheat and some oats on a 25 acre AG field (Soy Beans had just been harvested and the farmer was not going to sow for the winter). I literally put my tractor in high gear and spread the whole damn field right before we got 2" of rain, (intentional perfect timing). My goal was for this to be a night field for the deer. It was hard to pattern for afternoon hunting, BUT almost every deer exited the field on one of 4 major trails. Some of the best morning hunting I have ever experienced.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Quality or Quantity - 10/09/15 12:39 PM

I would just plant the woodline perimeters of big ag fields that would be within sight of the stand.
I'd go wheat & oats only. Clover would be a waste.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM