Aldeer.com

Okra

Posted By: ridgestalker

Okra - 10/06/15 04:28 PM

I'm thinking next year of planting a half acre of okra in a summer plot lasting into fall plot. Question will the deer eat leaves and pods or will they eat the stalk? I'm thinking if they won't let it get up to baring size maybe putting a barrier up. Anybody tried it or got garden experience with deer?
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 04:37 PM

I have to ask: out of all the things you could plant; why okra? Especially if you are not even sure deer will eat it?
Posted By: Shaneomac1

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 04:55 PM

dang deer will eat just about anything. Great question by fuzzy though why okra?
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 05:16 PM

Maybe the okra is for him and not the deers. I like some fried okra!
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 05:19 PM

deer will eat okra, they eat mine at the house.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 05:58 PM

I know they didn't eat the leaves off of my plants until late in the summer and only after everything was cut in. I believe the pods will get to old and tough before the deer eat them, there fore making the pods not palatable to the deer's mouth. They won't eat the stalk after the plant has started producing the pods. It all depends on if the plants reach a mature age. But you have to cut the okra for the plant to keep producing new pods. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't.
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 06:07 PM

Ate mine last year. It was late summer and they ate everything but the stalk.

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 06:32 PM

Yep, before you know it biologic will have a super okra fall mix and Lee and Tiffany will have an okra flavored mineral block.

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 06:34 PM

Corn holler / Okra slider
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 07:12 PM

They eat kudzu why not plant that ? Most folks plant peas, soy beans and corn. We already know they love those.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 08:34 PM

I've heard people complaining about deer staying in their okra all summer. I got plenty of dormant plots to try different things in, it was just a thought. I usually cut most of the leaves off mine and it keeps barring til frost I thought if it was the pods they go after it might make a good summer plot. I would drag it in and top sow with clover.

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 08:53 PM

I haven't priced okra seed, but I strongly suspect you could plant sun hemp, lab lab, soy beans, or about a hundred other things that will produce more forage, withstand browsing better, and yield higher protein levels for less money.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Okra - 10/06/15 09:21 PM

I had some in a garden one year and didn't get a pod cause deer ate it all. I've often wanted to try some of that summer game bird plot mix for deer. I think it's got millet, sunflowers, beans, all kinds of stuff deer like too.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Okra - 10/07/15 06:20 AM

I know a guy that always throws some okra into his plot. Deer love okra and they have a good root system that does well during drought and breaks up the soil.
Posted By: globe

Re: Okra - 10/07/15 11:35 AM

Deer mow my okra down like a bush hog every year. You could absolutely use it like corn for beans and peas to climb, but it grows slow until it gets hot.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: Okra - 10/07/15 05:02 PM

deer are just a different looking goat. They will eat anything.

Re: Okra - 10/07/15 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: deerman24
deer are just a different looking goat. They will eat anything.

This is true, especially if you fertilize it. which is why I try to plant things that are affordable, browse resistant, and beneficial.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM