Aldeer.com

where are the does?

Posted By: JD_Deer_Slayer

where are the does? - 10/04/15 06:39 PM

I am hunting a 50 piece of land for year #2. the west side property line is a power line and at the end of it is a food plot. the east side property line begins planted pines that have not been cut since they were planted. they look to be about 7-10 years old maybe? the north in the entrance and road and the south is a creek.

I have 2 cameras and a tripod feeder. the feeder is in an opening near the planted pines property line. I get about 50 pics a week at the camera looking at the feeder so if I dont check it for 2 weeks i will have roughly 100 pics. 95% are all bucks. I have counted at least 6 different bucks and not to many does. the bucks are all young or culls except for 1 which is a decent 8point.

My question is why do I not see very many does? any ideas?
Posted By: WildlifeBiologist

Re: where are the does? - 10/04/15 07:12 PM

Not to sidetrack your post, but what makes it a cull?
Posted By: PEA_RIDGE

Re: where are the does? - 10/04/15 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: WildlifeBiologist
Not to sidetrack your post, but what makes it a cull?

THIS... JUST BECAUSE THEY AINT GIANTS DONT MEAN THEY ARE CULLS
Posted By: bigt

Re: where are the does? - 10/04/15 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: JD_Deer_Slayer

Probably in somebody's freezer or at least what's left of them wink
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: where are the does? - 10/04/15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: JD_Deer_Slayer
I am hunting a 50 piece of land for year #2. the west side property line is a power line and at the end of it is a food plot. the east side property line begins planted pines that have not been cut since they were planted. they look to be about 7-10 years old maybe? the north in the entrance and road and the south is a creek.

I have 2 cameras and a tripod feeder. the feeder is in an opening near the planted pines property line. I get about 50 pics a week at the camera looking at the feeder so if I dont check it for 2 weeks i will have roughly 100 pics. 95% are all bucks. I have counted at least 6 different bucks and not to many does. the bucks are all young or culls except for 1 which is a decent 8point.

First, the cull theory has been disproven. 2nd, they does are going to a place where they can get the best nutrients for their fawns after they breed. If there is a big AG or soybean/corn field within a few miles, that's where they are. Once they find it, that's where they'll stay. That's one of the biggest benefits to a summer soybean plot, doe attraction and colonization.

Re: where are the does? - 10/04/15 08:35 PM

2 inch spike last year and this year he has 1 browtine... he will be a 20 year old 6 point one day maybe right?

there are no planted fields around. we have alot of hardwoods with acorns and water plus we feed alot of corn. I know the does have to be there it just surprises me I have seen very few does.
Posted By: PEA_RIDGE

Re: where are the does? - 10/04/15 09:11 PM

THAT SPIKE MIGHT HAVE BEEN INJURED IN THE GROWING PROCESS OR SOMETHING. I HAVE SEEN THE SAME DEER BE A 4 PT FOR 3 YEARS THEN BOOM HE'S AN 8

Re: where are the does? - 10/04/15 10:04 PM

i understand that and maybe i should not label this deer as a cull.

with that being said, where the heck are my DOES? could the just not be traveling over that way? Is my corn not as good as maybe the neighbors corn? i just dont know
Posted By: spear_em

Re: where are the does? - 10/04/15 10:10 PM

Buck Sanctuary
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: where are the does? - 10/04/15 10:32 PM

The does are most likely feeding in acorns and ignoring the corn.
Posted By: WildlifeBiologist

Re: where are the does? - 10/05/15 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny
The does are most likely feeding in acorns and ignoring the corn.

A likely explanation. Does with fawns also tend to avoid buck bachelor groups. Seldom will you see bucks and does together around a food source this time of year.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: where are the does? - 10/05/15 07:20 AM

Just before the acorns drop the bucks will take over the supplemental food we put out. We dont get many pics of does either. For us that changes when the acorns drop in mass and the bucks go for them. Then the does and fawns appear and start hammering the corn and protein.
Posted By: spear_em

Re: where are the does? - 10/05/15 08:10 AM

Originally Posted By: olemossy
Just before the acorns drop the bucks will take over the supplemental food we put out. We dont get many pics of does either. For us that changes when the acorns drop in mass and the bucks go for them. Then the does and fawns appear and start hammering the corn and protein.
This, and once acorns are in full drop, wasting money on corn for few weeks. Unless it is apple flavored
Posted By: CNC

Re: where are the does? - 10/05/15 08:14 AM

According to what I'm seeing on camera right now....patterns have just recently shifted. Your does have been off somewhere having fawns in whatever habitat around you is best suited for that.

Re: where are the does? - 10/05/15 04:20 PM

hey thanks, I need to put a camera near some oaks and see what I get. thanks for the info!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM