Aldeer.com

Jacobs Mtn camp ground

Posted By: bowtarist

Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/04/15 07:06 PM

Been out there a few times thru the summer to make sure they're still doing like they said last season and building a public camp ground on Jacobs. Its been cleared and a few loads of gravel hauled in and they stopped. I looked at the new maps on the interwebs a second ago and it looks like they've taken the camp ground away from us behind the gun range AND they didn't open the new one up. Looks like the closest place to camp is gonna be close to Nila church on 33. Any of you guys on here know whats up with this? Other than Bentley lol.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/04/15 10:43 PM

You, me and Bentley doesn't know what's going on.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/05/15 09:12 AM

I don't know why anyone would even bother camping up there being that the hunting sucks! grin

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/05/15 11:13 AM

No kidding Casey. There ain't no more deer up there for sure but it sure is fun socializing with everyone at the camp ground.
Posted By: JBsTaxidermy

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/09/15 06:45 PM

How is the hunting pressure during bow season on jacobs.... i know the gun hunts are covered up

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/09/15 08:29 PM

Like black friday at walmart.
Posted By: demp17

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/10/15 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: bowtarist
Like black friday at walmart.

This is an absolutely perfect example! I hunt a private club that boarders it and had bullets whizzing by my head on the last gun days. Little 8 point never had a chance once he turned and went back across the WMA line.

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/11/15 05:31 AM

Well the few times i went during bow season i didnt see any other hunters( must have been a bad spot) but when i went on the gun hunts it was like a flash back from vietnam
Posted By: DaffyDucksWorstNightmare

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/11/15 08:48 AM

I just got out of a club the boarders Jacob Mnt because it has been ruined with the amount of hunters.

I watched a guy stalking around last year, with a cross bow bleating with his mouth (sounded terrible). After about an hour after he left I had a doe come in about 50yds then all of a sudden heard what sounded like a bow go off and then I seen the sparks of a arrow skipping through the rocks. This dude had shot at doe with a cross bow well over 80yds. Scarred the crap out of me.

Another instance I went to the same spot only to find EIGHT PEOPLE sitting on the line watching over onto our club. It looked like opening day of Duck season at Guntersville with all the head lamps.

Jacobs mountain is a circus now! Such a huge disappointment because it use to be incredible.

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/11/15 09:01 AM

Game wardens could have a field day writing tickets to trespassers during any of the gun days.
Posted By: msu33

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/11/15 09:31 AM

That's just sad. I have not hunted Jacobs MTN since we got evicted. We knew it would be like this. I miss Trophy Ridge every day.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/11/15 09:48 AM

I remember when it first opened up to the public. A friend of mine and I spent a lot of time scouting the area, in particular the mountains bordering the old boys home. There were hoof prints the size of cattle and I couldn't wait to hunt it. Unfortunately I don't own an ATV, I was scouting using one of my buddy's vehicles. He got busy and couldn't hunt and I had no way of getting back up there.

I thought that eventually I'd get an ATV and hunt up there. It's such a shame the area has been spoiled
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/11/15 04:08 PM

Ya'll think that's bad you should have seen Low Gap before Skyline got it. It got raped the first couple years.
Posted By: rblaker

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/11/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: msu33
That's just sad. I have not hunted Jacobs MTN since we got evicted. We knew it would be like this. I miss Trophy Ridge every day.

Hunted it several times and seen deer. Just isn't the same. You aren't the only one that misses what we had up there.

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/11/15 06:10 PM

You guys are making it hard for me to want to even go up there and scout.... you would think with the buck restrictions you would see deer up there but im sure every 7 pt up and doe seen are shot at .... i had some awesome pics of some good deer up there last year and thought i had a decent place but when it came to the gun days everyone was all over me
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/11/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: JBsTaxidermy
i had some awesome pics of some good deer up there last year and thought i had a decent place but when it came to the gun days everyone was all over me

Let's see them! When the land got sold, the yahoos that had the lease shot every deer that moved....it will take 10 years to recover.
Posted By: Bar270

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/12/15 02:31 PM

i hunted there evrey day of evrey hunt i could make last year and only saw one doe in january in the stand and saw one 8 point at the parking lot

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/12/15 09:58 PM

I don't think any deer gets a pass out there. Buck restriction or not. I was scouting last year and found spikes skull and scouting during season and found a buck with just his head cut off. That place could still be good if they would change the rules and do a few things different. Some of the gun hunts will make you want to get your heart right with the good Lord before you get out of the truck.

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/13/15 09:10 PM

Bowtarist you are right about the gun hunts i haven't spent alot of time up there but im going to give it a try if nothing else i will put some miles on my side by side. Can anyone tell me how the roads are up there from the ones i have seen they are not bad at all
Posted By: DaffyDucksWorstNightmare

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/14/15 09:27 AM

I don't expect that place to every be the same again. The gun days are down right scary to be up there. We couldn't hunt half our club because of the trespassers riding four wheelers on our roads or hunting on the line or over on us.

We had multiple stands stolen, feeders stolen and shot up, food plots driven on etc.

Those antler restrictions are not enforced, anybody can lay a spike down and get out of there without even being checked or they'll go back to get it later that night. If you hunt the South end it's a easy drag to the bottom of the mountain and get a buddy to pick you up.

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/14/15 11:05 AM

Is your club on the williams cove side or is it more on the guess creek area and ive always wondered about stuff getting stolen up there with all the traffic going through there.... i put some cameras out last year and didnt have any trouble had a couple of pics of other hunters but nobody messed with them from what i could tell

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/14/15 08:29 PM

I guess it all depends on where you put your stuff. I know where about 5 treestands are within a 200 yard radius right now. If I was a thief tho, ain't no way in hell I'd haul em out of there.

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/14/15 08:32 PM

Forgot to add that I found the answer to my OP. They did start making the camp ground for us at the entrance but some of the neighbors apparently didn't like the fact that us no good public land hunters were gonna be camping next to em. So they called the senators or whatever and got it stopped. We will be camping behind the gun range yet again.

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/15/15 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By: bowtarist
I guess it all depends on where you put your stuff. I know where about 5 treestands are within a 200 yard radius right now. If I was a thief tho, ain't no way in hell I'd haul em out of there.

I don't see how someone would want to haul a deer out of the places I have found tree stands much less a 20lb tree stand. None of my stuff has been bothered on the WMA other than someone trespassing off the WMA deleting all the photos off my camera on my lease. I ran several people off that were trespassing last year. I have several pics of a couple of guys walking all around my cameras but I don't reckon they have ever seen it or if they have they didn't mess with it. Any of yall have blonde curly hair and wear glasses? smile

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/15/15 11:35 AM

Does anyone think there is anywhere on the jacobs tract that people havent been or want go besides in the clear cuts on the top???? Im just curious how the pressure is in certain areas
Posted By: CD

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/15/15 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: JBsTaxidermy
Does anyone think there is anywhere on the jacobs tract that people havent been or want go besides in the clear cuts on the top???? Im just curious how the pressure is in certain areas

There's nowhere to get away from the crowd. I had most of it leased for several years before it went public and know the land very well. On the first public gun hunt, I was buried up in the nastiest, roughest, hardest to get to area on the mountain and had people walking all over me all morning. I thought hitting the hell - holes was a sure way to get away from everyone else. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea. I stayed with it until after lunch and still counted 52 trucks on the way back to camp. I went one more time on the last hunt of the season and it was even worse than the opener. Unless something changes, I won't be back. CD.

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/15/15 12:31 PM

I dont feel so bad only seeing 6 loads of side by sides on the gun hunt i went on...... i guess ill stick with hunting when its not the gun hunts ... maybe there want be as many people up there during those times

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/15/15 12:35 PM

Just my observations here ... I hunted Walls of Jericho the year Jacob's was opened up. I was expecting to see a whole lot of folks hunting it but rarely saw anyone other than my own guys. I think Jacob's took a huge amount of pressure off of the walls and did last season too. I also think that over the next few years the over pressure on Jacobs will slow down as more and more hunters figure all this out.

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/15/15 06:35 PM

I Think I"ll hunt the other 50,000 acres.
Posted By: wmd

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/15/15 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ridgestalker
I Think I"ll hunt the other 50,000 acres.

Yep! thumbup

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/15/15 08:57 PM

Haha yep, business as usual for me too
Posted By: scrape

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/16/15 03:52 AM

I actually thought jacobs track wasn't as crowded as the other side. That is if you avoid the tourist traps where you can see all the way down the mountain through the hardwoods. the trick is to park your vehicle on the main road and walk down the dead end road so that people will know your hunting that spot. theres no need for a utv or atv on jacobs tract, I don't understand why people rely on them when you can drive a truck. everyonce in a while I will park at the road and walk down the deadend road to find an atv hiding at the end, in which case I leave

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/16/15 05:41 AM

The places i have been u wouldnt want to drive your truck unless its an old yota and especially if it has rained a couple of days and those hills get wet and sloopy u better be locked all the way around or your not coming back out of those places.......
Posted By: Sdyar

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/16/15 06:22 AM

After forever wild bought Jacobs where we were in a club ,I thought I would hang in there and stick with it a while . hunted some private land that joined it on top. Hunting quickly went to hell. I pulled my camper home in Feb and will not be back. That place has been raped !

Re: Jacobs Mtn camp ground - 09/16/15 06:40 AM

If ya'll think Jacobs is bad stay away from Little Coon and Big Coon because it's even worse. The roads are maintained and a lot of it can be reached by car it's a nightmare.The game wardens are bad about walking in and checking you on stand over there also.Walking down and back up on the Walls side is your best bet to get away from the crowds,just be prepared to eat what you kill there.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM