Aldeer.com

Maintaining cover

Posted By: Remington270

Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 02:53 PM

We've got several big fields, 10+ acres. We're doing good if they all get bushhog once per year. When they don't, it's great hunting due to good cover but hard as hell to hog down 2+ years of growth. How do y'all handle big fields like this? (Planting is not really an option right now: don't have the time, money or equipment)
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 03:00 PM

Is burning an option?

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Johnal3
Is burning an option?

Could be, but it's 'spensive and VERY wet during the winter/spring when we'd need to burn. Summer and fall it's reasonably dry. I may be overthinking it. We probably just need to cut it yearly, but the hunting is so much better when we don't cut!
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 03:21 PM

Could you cut 5 acres one year and the other 5 the next year? If nothing else, 5 acres of 2-year growth would be easier than 10 acres to cut. Plus, good hunting every year as you'll always have ~2 year growth somewhere.

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 03:41 PM

^^^^What I'd do if I couldn't burn^^^^^
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 03:43 PM

Bush hog it once a year in February. That way you'll be able to use the full growing worth of growth for cover.

The burning shouldn't be too expensive. A couple disc rows around the field and a drip torch should do it.

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

The burning shouldn't be too expensive. A couple disc rows around the field and a drip torch should do it.

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't gonna suggest that he run out there run around the edge with a disc and light it off like I probably would. smile

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe4majors
Could you cut 5 acres one year and the other 5 the next year? If nothing else, 5 acres of 2-year growth would be easier than 10 acres to cut. Plus, good hunting every year as you'll always have ~2 year growth somewhere.

That's a good idea.

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 04:04 PM

Bush hog it once a year in February. That way you'll be able to use the full growing worth of growth for cover.

I like that thought. But I'm not a forester like you so unsupervised fire makes me nervous! I'm not opposed to it though.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 04:10 PM

Are hub/spoke designs an option? Are you wanting to keep the fields maintained?
Posted By: TurningTwo

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 04:13 PM

We started our new program with the state last year in TN for our non planted fields. We have to cut strips in the field. Every 15 yards leave 15 more uncut and do the whole field that way. Started this past weekend cutting the strips that were left standing last year....MUCH easier bush hogging!!! Deer beds were all in growth from th past year.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 04:51 PM

Maybe patchwork it like in the olden days, or leave 2-3 wide strips and let it go.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 07:39 PM

Agree with above post cut strips or equal strip vs cover would leave cover and able to see/ shoot them maybe even plant some of the open strips
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Remington270

I like that thought. But I'm not a forester like you so unsupervised fire makes me nervous! I'm not opposed to it though.

Give me a call. If I can, I'll help you.

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms
Are hub/spoke designs an option? Are you wanting to keep the fields maintained?

I've thought about the hub/spoke design. The fields are between other fields we actively hunt. I'd like for them to stay field, but also provide cover.

Re: Maintaining cover - 08/30/15 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Remington270

Give me a call. If I can, I'll help you.

Thanks! I'll hit you up when I get my thoughts straight!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM