Aldeer.com

Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?!

Posted By: CKyleC

Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 08/28/15 11:19 PM

Who's going where? I'll be west of LBL.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 08/29/15 11:01 AM

I'll be there

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 08/29/15 11:02 AM

North central Kentucky for me
Posted By: Ditchdigger

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 08/29/15 12:17 PM

Livingston co

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 08/29/15 09:46 PM

Y'all hunting private or public? What setups are yall planning on sitting? I'm hunting public land, Saturday morning, I'm gonna sit a stand on the edge of a creek bottom. It has several been fields up above, and a thick knoll behind me that a lot of deer bed on. 3 really good creek crossings within 40yds, and a couple of good trails parralleling the creek and going back in to bedding. Should be a good spot to catch them going to bed after eating all night in the fields. that afternoon, I've got a set hung down on a point about 300yds off the back of a bean field. several good trails coming up out of multiple draws meet right in there. That field had 3 shooters in it thursday evening. All of this is contingent upon the wind of course. I've got several backups in case it doesn't go my way. I'll let the action from saturday, dictate sunday's setup. From the trail cam pics we have, it looks good, and the first 125ish that comes by will get whacked. I'm not picky.

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/02/15 06:17 AM

It's getting closer! I'm ready to go, NOW!

I'll be on public land hoping to catch one headed to some ag fields.

We haven't done much scouting so we'll spend about half our time scouting and half hunting. It's going to be fun just getting away for a few days.

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/02/15 07:57 AM

Good luck!

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/02/15 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Good luck!

You, too! Sounds like you have a really good set up. I don't expect to kill one, mainly going to get more familiar with the area for Nov. But, one thing is for sure, I have a better chance at killing one than sitting at home!
Posted By: greenZ71

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/02/15 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: CKyleC

We haven't done much scouting so we'll spend about half our time scouting and half hunting. It's going to be fun just getting away for a few days.

Great idea. I went a couple years ago with a buddy and he just wanted to hunt. From the first morning, we would park and pack in climbers and hunt. Did see some deer but the area we were hunting had tons of soy bean fields. I would have loved to have burnt a day (at least) checking fields and scouting. There was sign everywhere. Just hard to dial it in if you are not familiar with the area. Check out aerial map and get a gameplan in order to. Especially if you see water. Good luck and be safe.
Posted By: smokinya

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/02/15 03:09 PM

Me and a couple buddies are leaving in the morning heading up to scout tommorow and friday and hunt Saturday through Tuesday morning!

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/02/15 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: smokinya
Me and a couple buddies are leaving in the morning heading up to scout tommorow and friday and hunt Saturday through Tuesday morning!

That's the schedule I'd like to have, but we can't leave until Friday night and we have to be back at work Tuesday morning. We will scout Saturday and hunt Sunday morning, afternoon,and Monday morning.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/02/15 10:12 PM

Scoutings over rated up there. Sign is everywhere. It's like bass fishing a good pond. Cast/sit where the should be a bass/deer and you will catch/kill one

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/02/15 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10
Scoutings over rated up there. Sign is everywhere. It's like bass fishing a good pond. Cast/sit where the should be a bass/deer and you will catch/kill one

That's why we're only spending saturday scouting. I hope you're right!

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/04/15 09:19 AM

Use terrain feature. Saddles, drains, path of least resistance. In my experience they've like to use drains to get off the high ground down to the fields

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/04/15 09:37 AM

I'll be leaving at some point today, I've got a meeting in 30 minutes that I'm really hoping goes quickly. Being my luck It will probably take 6-8 hours....

As far as scouting being overrated, it depends what you want to do. If a successful weekend is seeing some deer and sticking a doe, then my experience is it can be done pretty easily. Like 30 minutes of walking around and you can find a place to see deer consistently. But, if you want to kill a good buck, in a limited amount of time, thats probably not a good plan. I've approached public land up there, as I would hunting here in bama. Worked my ass off finding places way back in, finding the right places, escape routes, bedding areas, etc. Opening weekend of bow is supposed to be one of the most crowded on public lands up there. The place I plan to hunt saturday morning, will take me an hour or more to get to from the truck, and is a great travel area/pinch point for deer returning from feeding, or escaping from pressure around the areas that will be crowded. We will see how much hard work pays off.

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/04/15 09:39 AM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10
Use terrain feature. Saddles, drains, path of least resistance. In my experience they've like to use drains to get off the high ground down to the fields

Topo map is key. I super imposed one over an arial for the place I will be hunting and marked 15-20 different spots based upon the combination of features. Scouted it all a month ago, and each spot would be very easy to kill a deer, and 3 to 4 of them are THE SPOTS. Topo helps narrow it down a lot.

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/04/15 06:18 PM

Well traffic has been terrible but I'm on the way. Good luck to everyone. If I have service in the am I'll post a lftt

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/04/15 11:24 PM

Good luck to all ya'll tomorrow. We will be leaving at 5 am. I'm ready!

I want to spend some time scouting for later this season, but I'm afraid once I get up there I'll just want to give anything that walks by a dirt nap!

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/05/15 04:14 AM

I'm at the parking spot now. Got here a little early, but I'm gonna take my time and go ahead and ease in. So I don't work up too much of a sweat
Posted By: smokinya

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/05/15 06:55 AM

We got to our parking spot around 430
! I was soaked by the time I got settled!

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/05/15 07:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
I'm at the parking spot now. Got here a little early, but I'm gonna take my time and go ahead and ease in. So I don't work up too much of a sweat

Originally Posted By: smokinya
We got to our parking spot around 430
! I was soaked by the time I got settled!

Come on guys we want a LFTT!!!!
Posted By: albowhntr

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/05/15 08:25 AM

Good luck fellas!
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/05/15 08:49 AM

Pics or you guys are all lying wink

I second the lftt comment. You guys gotta get one going
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/05/15 10:09 AM

Good luck!

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/05/15 08:43 PM

I'll do a lftt tomorrow. Someone will have to post the picsnfor me.

Anyone kill anything today?

We scouted two different tracts today. I'm excited.

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/05/15 09:50 PM

Was planning on going lftt but haven't had any service. I saw 1 doe from the stand this morning, but didn't stay long because I needed some sleep before a long afternoon hunt. Saw another 10 or so walking in and out. This afternoon, my first choice was taken, so I headed to an area with a huge bean field about 45 minutes walk from the gate. I hadn't really scouted this spot in detail, so I tried to figure it out on the fly. Deer are bedding in standing corn and crp then traveling to the beans in the evenings. I got in s finger between the bedding and beans and setup so that I could see a big area and try to pin point any good bucks so I could hunt them tomorrow. Saw about 50 deer total, had 20ish in bow range. Only saw one possible shooter and he was at 300yds and I didn't get a good look. He was atleast a decent deer though. Beans are the key right now. Deer are bedding very close to them and you need to catch them going to or from

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/05/15 10:03 PM

Some pics of this afternoons setup

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/06/15 06:14 AM

Seen one so far this morning. Setup in a finger about 300yds from a bean field, in the middle of head high crp

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/06/15 06:18 AM

I may shoot a doe if one comes by late in the morning. Temptation is getting to me

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/06/15 08:21 AM

That's a good looking set up. After yesterdays scouting, I felt the same way about beans.
We didnt hunt this morning. We stayed up too late drinking beer and watching football. I'm excited for this afternoon

Re: Kentucky... who'll be there next weekend?!?! - 09/06/15 09:07 AM

Movement was slow this morning, saw a few but I think most deer had already left the fields before daylight.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM