Aldeer.com

New land inventory question

Posted By: nock1on

New land inventory question - 08/27/15 08:11 PM

Ok trying to take inventory of the deer on some new land but they seem to not be interested in the corn nor the mineral block. I know the mineral block offers nothing at this point but was hoping to draw some deer to the camera. I found acorns and some scratching but was thinking I would get some play on the barrels. What has drawn deer into your feeders?
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: New land inventory question - 08/27/15 08:53 PM

If deer aren't coming to your corn they are not any deer. How long has it been out?
Posted By: Atoler

Re: New land inventory question - 08/27/15 08:59 PM

Put corn on the ground. If you don't get any deer on it, then there aint many more than likely.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: New land inventory question - 08/27/15 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Put corn on the ground. If you don't get any deer on it, then there aint many more than likely.

X2
Takes some time for them to get used to the feeders. Try pouring it out and see if you get better results.
Posted By: timberman56

Re: New land inventory question - 08/27/15 09:25 PM

peanut butter
Posted By: James

Re: New land inventory question - 08/27/15 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms

Originally Posted By: Atoler

X2
Takes some time for them to get used to the feeders. Try pouring it out and see if you get better results.
x3. I've tried every type of feeder made at the house. They want eat it unless it's on the ground period..
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: New land inventory question - 08/27/15 10:03 PM

You have acorns on the ground put your camera there. That's where your deer are.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: New land inventory question - 08/27/15 10:07 PM

We have deer on our property and they haven't touched out corn this summer. I suspect that since we got so much rain this summer they are taking advantage of what's in the woods.
Posted By: MANGLER

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 12:30 AM

Ditch the feeders for now! This has been posted before but it's a good article.

Deer cam survey
Posted By: 300gr

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 07:12 AM

Break open a watermelon or pour out some molasses. The odor will draw them in. Have heard grape kool-aid works also.

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:03 AM

They have been out maybe two - three weeks. In the middle of what looked like a former green field with several trails crossing thru the area.

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:05 AM

Funny you would suggest this idea. I did that just as i left yesterday thinking maybe the feeder had them skid-dish. I changed the camera location to get a wider view.
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:06 AM

Scatter the corn on the ground. The deer will eat it if they are there.

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:07 AM

I put some on the ground yesterday thinking this was the variable that I could change. Thank you!

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:10 AM

I haven't tried the peanut butter yet. How do you put the peanut butter out for the deer? Thanks for the help!

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:14 AM

I did just that with a second camera. I saw too much scratching and feathers to let it go without being investigated. Thank you!

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:19 AM

Thanks Mangler! I threw some on the ground around the feeder and up some of the trails to make it more inviting, hopefully?? I couldn't take the feeder out because of the weight and gravity feeder outlets on it. So I tried the next best thing and threw it on the ground.

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:24 AM

I haven't heard of the watermelon idea. I believe I might just do that. I have tried to use grape Kool-Aid but didn't see much result. I am not sure it was the Kool-aid that didn't work as it was my choice to locate the lick when I tried it. Do you use the "deer" molasses or just co-op/feed/grocery store brand molasses? Where do you pour it out at? on the mineral block? on a pile of corn?

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:26 AM

Thank you Hoytdad10! I tried that tactic starting yesterday evening.
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 10:57 AM

As far as p-nut butter on a tree. Take off the lid and screw it onto a tree. Cut out the bottom of the plastic jar and screw it back onto the lid now attached to the tree.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 11:45 AM

I had a watermelon field behind my house and deer where destroying them so when I started picking them I take some to the woods and cut it for the deer. On camera the deer ate watermelon before they ate corn.

Re: New land inventory question - 08/28/15 03:06 PM

As far as the molasses you can put it out in a pie plate, on a stump etc. They will smell it and come
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: New land inventory question - 08/30/15 09:20 PM

The smell of rotting apples will bring them from afar. Peanut butter and corn are great once they find it, but if they are not dining in the immediate area, it could take longer to find. I put a tarp down in the back of my old Bronco, rolled down the back window and filled the back with apples of varying degrees of ripeness to the point they were trying to roll over the seat back and out the window. I carried the apples to a new tract and put a couple of five gallon bucket-fulls out at several sites. Seven days later I returned to the sites and found all, ALL, of the apples gone and the leaves torn up and raked back where the apples had layed. The week before I put the apples out, I had put out corn in some other places. I checked the corn the day I deposited the apples and only about half of the piles had been found at that point.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: New land inventory question - 08/30/15 09:28 PM

I don't think anything will top a pear tree. I'd bet there is a doe or two eating under a pear tree about 1/4 mile up the road, right now. They'll travel far for a pear.

Re: New land inventory question - 08/31/15 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Hoytdad10
As far as p-nut butter on a tree. Take off the lid and screw it onto a tree. Cut out the bottom of the plastic jar and screw it back onto the lid now attached to the tree.

Thank you I will be trying this out!!

Re: New land inventory question - 08/31/15 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: johndeere5036
I had a watermelon field behind my house and deer where destroying them so when I started picking them I take some to the woods and cut it for the deer. On camera the deer ate watermelon before they ate corn.

Well didn't know this tid bit! I did scatter some apple flavored corn with rice bran yesterday, fingers crossed.

Re: New land inventory question - 08/31/15 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: 300gr
As far as the molasses you can put it out in a pie plate, on a stump etc. They will smell it and come

Ok looking for the cheapest route. Do you use the "deer" molasses or store brand/not in the sporting goods department molasses?

Re: New land inventory question - 08/31/15 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: metalmuncher
The smell of rotting apples will bring them from afar. Peanut butter and corn are great once they find it, but if they are not dining in the immediate area, it could take longer to find. I put a tarp down in the back of my old Bronco, rolled down the back window and filled the back with apples of varying degrees of ripeness to the point they were trying to roll over the seat back and out the window. I carried the apples to a new tract and put a couple of five gallon bucket-fulls out at several sites. Seven days later I returned to the sites and found all, ALL, of the apples gone and the leaves torn up and raked back where the apples had layed. The week before I put the apples out, I had put out corn in some other places. I checked the corn the day I deposited the apples and only about half of the piles had been found at that point.

How did you come across the apples? Bought old apples from the curb market? picked them up off the ground? Where?

Re: New land inventory question - 08/31/15 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
I don't think anything will top a pear tree. I'd bet there is a doe or two eating under a pear tree about 1/4 mile up the road, right now. They'll travel far for a pear.

SO I need to put out feelers for pear trees in my area and go to picking, huh?
Posted By: DryFire

Re: New land inventory question - 08/31/15 11:11 AM

For deer, sorghum block with Old Grandma's molasses poured on top. The grape kool aid trick is what I used in Texas to draw feral hogs in. That and/or spray diesel on a tree stump.

Re: New land inventory question - 08/31/15 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasNative
For deer, sorghum block with Old Grandma's molasses poured on top. The grape kool aid trick is what I used in Texas to draw feral hogs in. That and/or spray diesel on a tree stump.

Thank you!

Re: New land inventory question - 08/31/15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: nock1on

Ok looking for the cheapest route. Do you use the "deer" molasses or store brand/not in the sporting goods department molasses?

Which ever is cheapest. Ive used the kind you pour over a salt block and it worked. Bought it at a co-op. Either should work fine. Its the sweet smell that they are attracted to

Re: New land inventory question - 09/01/15 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By: nock1on

Which ever is cheapest. Ive used the kind you pour over a salt block and it worked. Bought it at a co-op. Either should work fine. Its the sweet smell that they are attracted to

Gotcha!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM