Aldeer.com

Boykin WMA CLOSED?

Posted By: 270koc

Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 03:10 PM

Word going around on the inter web that Boykin is being closed anybody have any insight? Sure hate to see another public place go away hope we don't see another.
Posted By: Itismemc

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 04:09 PM

Gone.....
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 04:14 PM

There will be a press release. If anyone has second-hand info please keep it to yourself, it is likely wrong.
Posted By: jsh1904

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter
Closed.

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: jsh1904
Closed.

slap

Ha! Thanks thumbup

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 04:31 PM

No problem. While you are at it I need you to make sure the gates at the upper delta get opened and stay open. You can mail me a key if you need to.
Posted By: James

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 06:05 PM

confused
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 06:28 PM

No problem. While you are at it I need you to make sure the gates at the upper delta get opened and stay open. You can mail me a key if you need to.

Give your purse to your wife and access by boat and you don't need no stinking key...

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: james
confused

confused about what?
Posted By: James

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: james
confused

confused about what?
No question just wanted to be included in the thread grin

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 07:53 PM

10-4. There is a lot going around about it. The DCNR will clear it up if anything serious is going on.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 09:39 PM

While you are at it I need you to make sure the gates at the upper delta get opened and stay open. You can mail me a key if you need to.

I hunt with The Gatekeeper. Im working on that key thing myself.
Posted By: Robert D.

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/11/15 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: walt4dun
While you are at it I need you to make sure the gates at the upper delta get opened and stay open. You can mail me a key if you need to.

I thought everybody in Semmes kept a set of bolt cutters in their vehicle?

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/12/15 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: RobertD
Originally Posted By: walt4dun

I thought everybody in Semmes kept a set of bolt cutters in their vehicle?

That's funny....only because I keep a set in my truck smile
Posted By: Clem

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/12/15 09:13 AM

Losing 17,600 acres is a huge deal. Nothing's been announced formally yet?
Posted By: jpippin

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/12/15 01:04 PM

It's gone.
Posted By: Cletus

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/12/15 07:55 PM

Certainly the DCNR wouldn't wait until right before deer season opens to give word of a large WMA closure would they..................even if by press conference. I'm sure they will clear it up if there is something serious going on. Least that's what I read on the interwebs.

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/12/15 09:14 PM

Look folks, I have had several calls and PM'S on this subject and here is what I know.

The agreement between the Boykin family and the DCNR reached its expiration date this month. There have been talks between the DCNR and the family to keep it open. There are a lot of factors that go into these decisions on both sides. The DCNR has never paid a lease for Boykin WMA, it has been generously donated by the family and has been a tremendous asset to the department and to the hunting public.

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/12/15 10:15 PM

They could always borrow money from the state parks to lease it.

Oh wait............

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/12/15 10:27 PM

The legislature reappropriates their funds to what they see fit. State parks would be just fine if their $$$ was left in their budget. Robbing Peter to pay Paul doesn't work especially when Paul is spending far more than Peter had to begin with. Hard to explain that to omniscient legislatures.

Thankfully WFF is funded strictly through license sales and federal P-R match dollars. The federal match dollars are off limits to the legislature which burns them up. We receive zero General Fund dollars.

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/13/15 12:18 AM

It was a joke damnit....a joke! I don't appreciate your serious response.

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/13/15 10:16 AM

It was a joke damnit....a joke! I don't appreciate your serious response.

I know but someone was bound to ask...
Posted By: shooters

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/13/15 02:53 PM

I heard 3 guys from ST.Claire County leased it all! grin

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/13/15 03:07 PM

More like Florida...
Posted By: charlie

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/13/15 04:34 PM

So, nighthunter, why were you so concerned about rumors since it seems the original post was correct?
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/13/15 04:35 PM

Someone said keep your opinions to yourself about why. That didn't last long. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the cost of the lease. Even at $15/acre, which it isn't worth, that's $255,000, which the state could find somewhere so I doubt it has anything to do with that. I think what was said in the press release is pretty much all you need to know.

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/13/15 05:26 PM

Well, that's not what he said. It's right at the top of the page. Says nothing about keeping your opinion about why to yourself. Would have made a lot more sense to say yes it's true, there will be a press release explaining it. Or maybe just not say anything at all if you are not supposed to comment on it.

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/13/15 07:08 PM

Notice I said second hand info... If you knew what was going with details then I would not have said a word but I knew noone did.

I had several calls and messages that had some outlandish theories about what was going on and they did not need to be spread around. The Boykin family deserved better. I never said it wasn't happening, I just asked to everyone let the press release from the family explain it. I think that was more that fair. If not you can bash me all you want.

Re: Boykin WMA CLOSED? - 08/13/15 07:15 PM

Nothing to bash you about. The way you worded it it seemed to me like you were saying it wasn't true, or wasn't a done deal and things were being worked out. As far as the families explanation, I didn't see anything in it any different than any other lease deal. The lease was up, the owners decided not to renew it. It's their land they can do what they want. I wasn't privy to all the theories people were asking you about so it probably looked different to you with the info you had.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM