Aldeer.com

Summer planting

Posted By: Willyb

Summer planting - 06/29/15 04:41 PM

Figured I'd post a few pics tracking progress of some of my summer planting over last few weeks. Pics are of corn fields. A few of the corn fields have eagle beans mixed in with them.

Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Summer planting - 06/29/15 04:50 PM

Looks awesome! This is just for deer? Not a commercial farming operation?

Re: Summer planting - 06/29/15 05:11 PM

Yeah everything is just for the deer. I've got a big pea field that is doing great as well and just planted a sun hemp field. If it does ok i will get some pics of it.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Summer planting - 06/29/15 05:22 PM

That is a serious summer field! Looks great! thumbup
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Summer planting - 06/29/15 05:55 PM

Looks good man. My corn is 7ft tall and just barely tasseling. I'm liking your plots too. So far I'm not sold on sunn hemp. Not any weed control options much and when the deer demolish the edges weeds are taking over. I'm hoping my 9 acres of standing corn will get my herd through the winter. Hope we all get good rain to finish the ears out now.
Posted By: truedouble

Re: Summer planting - 06/29/15 09:23 PM

good grief… how many acres in that first pic?

Did you plant in late May? Our corn is about at the same stage as yours.

Looks great!
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Summer planting - 06/29/15 10:30 PM

Looks dang good!!! Definitely got plenty of rain....

Re: Summer planting - 06/30/15 08:42 AM

First pic is a field that's about 7-8 acres. There are 4 fields that are in corn and about 20 acres in peas. It's a year round hobby for me.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Summer planting - 06/30/15 09:48 AM

Man I wish I had the acreage to plant that much on my hunting land. your one field is as big as all of mine put together
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Summer planting - 06/30/15 10:10 AM

What width rows is that planted on? Did you broadcast your N or side dress it?

Re: Summer planting - 06/30/15 11:09 AM

Corn is either 33 or 34 in rows. Top dressed with nitrogen around v5 stage.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Summer planting - 06/30/15 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Willyb
First pic is a field that's about 7-8 acres. There are 4 fields that are in corn and about 20 acres in peas. It's a year round hobby for me.

You have more $$ tied up in your "hobby" than most pay in hunting club dues. I do also...A LOT more!!

Re: Summer planting - 06/30/15 12:52 PM

Corn planting dates were from May 10 to May 22nd.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Summer planting - 06/30/15 05:24 PM

I'm glad to see somebody else has the same hobby I do. I plant plots like I intend on harvesting for grain. It can't give back if you don't put it in.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Summer planting - 06/30/15 06:49 PM

I think those pictures are photoshopped. I'm not a farmer, but I've been studying up on planting food plots on this website and you're supposed to throw out the seed and then mow the grass over the top of it. The seeds aren't supposed to be planted in straight lines.

If you cut the field with a disk, then all your topsoil washed away when it rained on it.

laugh

Seriously, they look great. Before I planted alfalfa on my big plot, it looked like yours in the summer.
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Summer planting - 06/30/15 08:50 PM

I planted mine around the first week of May but yours looks a lot better. Did you break ground or no till? That's an accurate planter your running. Your fields look great.

Re: Summer planting - 07/01/15 07:04 AM

Broke ground and incorporated lime and fertilizer then ran a do-all over all fields prior to planting. Use an old JD no till planter for corn and rent a great plains no till drill for peas
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Summer planting - 07/07/15 12:00 AM

Very nice!!

Nothing like spending time with the dirt and seed, and seeing success!!

Was the corn Roundup Ready, and did you use chemicals before/after or both with the do all?

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Summer planting - 07/07/15 08:22 PM

What county is that in.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM