Aldeer.com

Tuscaloosa city limits??

Posted By: centralala

Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 07:05 AM

What is going on there?? Saw where they are looking at banning bow hunting close to city limits.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 07:14 AM

In the "Police Jurisdiction" ; within 300yds.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 07:17 AM

They need to do drawings for permits to bowhunt IN the city limits. Regularly see deer in town. Saw 3 Saturday literally 1 block from 69/82
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
They need to do drawings for permits to bowhunt IN the city limits. Regularly see deer in town. Saw 3 Saturday literally 1 block from 69/82

That's in Northport.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 07:25 AM

Originally Posted By: centralala
What is going on there?? Saw where they are looking at banning bow hunting close to city limits.

There's already a rule about shooting your bow in the city limits.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Originally Posted By: GomerPyle

That's in Northport.

Well I know, but same sort of deal.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 07:55 AM

Highly doubt there is a single deer to hunt in the Tuscaloosa city limits. Maybe on the edge of northport somewhere like n2 said, but not in ttown.

Thing is though some places I hunt in the south of the county are fairly close to neighborhoods that are zoned "city" smack dab in the middle of the county. Really hope this doesn't mess me up. If there really is some 300 yard buffer zone from the official city limits it most certainly will.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 08:10 AM

Originally Posted By: dirkdaddy
Highly doubt there is a single deer to hunt in the Tuscaloosa city limits. Maybe on the edge of northport somewhere like n2 said, but not in ttown.

Thing is though some places I hunt in the south of the county are fairly close to neighborhoods that are zoned "city" smack dab in the middle of the county. Really hope this doesn't mess me up. If there really is some 300 yard buffer zone from the official city limits it most certainly will.

Seems like it would take a complaint before it would become an issue.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 08:19 AM

I've got the same sort of deal, except one of my hunting spots is near the Northport city limits. I should be more than 300yds from the city limit line, but probably not by much.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 08:19 AM

Highly doubt there is a single deer to hunt in the Tuscaloosa city limits.

There are some places that might surprise you. The ones I'm thinking of are across the river from Rice Valley Road to the spillway.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 08:22 AM

I'm sure there are plenty up by the lake that are in the city limits. Also, I've seen them off Hargrove at Bowers Park a few times (near the health dept).
Posted By: Reptar

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 08:26 AM

What is the restriction on shooting a bow in city limits?
Posted By: NFHunter

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 12:13 PM

Deer all around lake Tuscaloosa, lake Nicol, all up there. Deer around the airport and industrial park, Hargrove, back off skyland west of Hargrove. Lots of deer

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

There are some places that might surprise you. The ones I'm thinking of are across the river from Rice Valley Road to the spillway.
my mom almost hit a deer crossing rice mine road near the golf course so I know where you are talking about.

I used to live near Bowers and always wondered if any made it in there. I figured the interstate kept them hemmed up on the other side. Interesting.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: NFHunter

Deer all around lake Tuscaloosa, lake Nicol, all up there. Deer around the airport and industrial park, Hargrove, back off skyland west of Hargrove. Lots of deer
I figgered Hargrove past skyland was county. Didn't know all that was city limits

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 03:51 PM

What is Police Jurisdiction? I've always understood it to be 3 miles from city limits. If so, would this effect some of the Westervelt clubs North of the lake? My issue is where is there a problem of bow hunting that is creating these "complaints"? If it is up around the lake isn't most of that all private land, what is the harm?

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 03:54 PM

Nevermind, I see now the article says 300 yards from city limits. I originally heard on radio police jurisdiction.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 04:20 PM

So, to the OP, how can a city establish a "buffer zone" OUTSIDE it's city limits?

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem

So, to the OP, how can a city establish a "buffer zone" OUTSIDE it's city limits?

I'm the OP and I was just wondering what was going on. If I owned let's say 50 acres inside the city limit and wanted to bow hunt, well, I wouldn't be happy. You will almost always see me side with property owners rights over anything else as long as it doesn't infringe on others.

But Clem, you struck a raw nerve with me. Let me explain why: Where I live I am outside of the city limits AND police jurisdiction. I do not have police protection, fire protection, and can't vote in city elections. But if I want to build a pole barn (or anything else) on my property, I am required to buy a building permit from the city. Needless to say I have never bought one and they will have to put my ass UNDER the jail before I do!!

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 04:37 PM

That's screwed up. How can a city have any jurisdiction over something outside its city limits?

And if I owned 50 acres inside the city limits, f'ck the city. I'm bowhunting.
Posted By: hgmike

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 04:41 PM

Wait you aren't in their jurisdiction but get treated like you are when it comes time to collect money? How do I get in on this scam? Make checks payable to this is the most corrupt bs I've ever seen incorporated please.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 04:43 PM

That's screwed up. How can a city have any jurisdiction over something outside its city limits?

I'm with you. If I am required to buy a permit and can't vote in their elections, isn't that taxation without representation?
Isn't something about that in the constitution? I just don't pay them any attention but it still gets me PO'ed.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: hgmike
Wait you aren't in their jurisdiction but get treated like you are when it comes time to collect money? How do I get in on this scam? Make checks payable to this is the most corrupt bs I've ever seen incorporated please.

It is like 5 miles (not sure of the mileage) PAST the police jurisdiction that falls under this.
Posted By: hgmike

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 04:48 PM

I wonder how they were able to set that up? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most counties set up strict borders for things like this with the cities inside their county?

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 04:52 PM

That's a load of bovine fecal matter right there. Sheesh.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 04:55 PM

Another thing: in this "zone" if I where to divide my land into lots smaller than 10 acres and sale it, I am required to have paved streets with curbs per the city.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 05:14 PM

Another thing: in this "zone" if I where to divide my land into lots smaller than 10 acres and sale it, I am required to have paved streets with curbs per the city.

Are you in Chilton or Shelby county centralala?

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: leroycnbucks

Are you in Chilton or Shelby county centralala?

Negative. Close to you. Prattville.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/01/15 07:44 PM

10-4
Posted By: Booger

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/02/15 09:36 AM

I see deer often on Crescent ridge road, Universty Blvd(5points), even around the VA. Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell. wink
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/02/15 01:26 PM

Any restriction on bow hunting is ridiculous re city limits or even inside a city. Even here in the Deep South people are turning into a bunch of self absorbed panty waists.

Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/02/15 03:47 PM

I don't hunt inside or near a city, but if one of the community do-gooders goes out one morning and finds a fat nanny with a muzzy hanging out of it's belly in her pansy bed it will do more to harm hunting than you would believe. Pictures on something like facebook would run like a dose of salts thru a widow woman.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/02/15 05:50 PM

Plenty of people out in the country would do the same thing.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/02/15 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: hgmike

It is like 5 miles (not sure of the mileage) PAST the police jurisdiction that falls under this.

It's generally referred to as the City's Extraterritorial Jurisdiction or ETJ (Some call it their Planning Jurisdiction). Most larger cities have this and use it to exercise their subdivision regulations or building codes within this area. The zone for this is generally 1 to 5 miles (depending on city) from their City Limit boundary line. The idea is this ensures that developments near the city limits that could become annexed into the city are built to city standards. From what I understand, whichever regulation on a particular subject (pertaining to buildings or development) is more stringent (between City or County regulations) then that is the regulation that is to be applied.

I've never heard of hunting laws being applied to ETJ areas. If I lived there, I would definitely contact the County to get their take on it. I've seen more than once a city overstep their authority in what they try to enforce inside the ETJ area.
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/02/15 08:31 PM

Plenty of deer around Ol Colony and Northridge HS... all the way to NRYC. My guess is the main people affected by this would be residents around the lake.
Posted By: shooters

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/02/15 08:59 PM

X2 on that! I would just do it anyway!
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/02/15 09:44 PM

Hell growing up we Dove hunted where the northport walmart now sits on the old Johnny Lemonis Potato farm. This is ridiculous
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/02/15 10:34 PM

It happens. Likely it will pass and stand unless the hunting public stands up.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/03/15 05:02 AM

Unless I interpret the rules wrong, if this law passes, I will still be able to gun hunt within 100 yards of the neighborhood zoned "city" right next to my farm, but I'll have to keep 300 yards away when hunting with with my bow? How does that make any sense?
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/03/15 06:03 AM

Heck, y'all sure are restricted. We can rifle hunt literally from the front yard of the city hall. No law about shooting a gun in Valley. whistle
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/03/15 06:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Ant67
Hell growing up we Dove hunted where the northport walmart now sits on the old Johnny Lemonis Potato farm. This is ridiculous

There used to be some big arse deer around that spot.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/03/15 08:18 PM

Do cities have hunting laws on the books? What's the charge? Who enforces them , they have city game wardens? Or is it the beautification committee or garden club?

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/03/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Do cities have hunting laws on the books? What's the charge? Who enforces them , they have city game wardens? Or is it the beautification committee or garden club?

All are different. I can only speak for the City of Prattville. If you have 50 or more CONTINOUS acres INSIDE the city limit, you can hunt with whatever you choose: Rifle, shotgun, or bow. Just so happens that I looked that up yesterday.

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/03/15 09:09 PM

City of Prattville:

a)

Except for law enforcement officers in the discharge of their duties and persons exercising the legal right of self-defense or defense of others, it shall be unlawful for any person to discharge, or cause to be discharged, any firearm within the corporate limits of the city.

(b)

Any defendant charged with violation of this section may present as an absolute defense thereto proof of ownership or permission from the owner of the land upon which said firearm was discharged and provided that said land was a parcel of more than one contiguous parcel of 50 acres or more of undeveloped property.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Tuscaloosa city limits?? - 06/04/15 01:45 PM

I live off of Rice Mine road near Cypress Inn. I see deer almost daily in my yard and heading towards the Indian Hills Golf Course and the river.

Lots more deer here than people think.

I have also seen 15 at one time on the hills on New Watermelon road between Lopez Mexican restaurant and the Publix by the dam. All that land backs up to The Townes subdivision. I have a friend who lives there and cannot keep the deer from eating her flower beds.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM