Aldeer.com

Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans?

Posted By: tikkaman

Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/03/15 02:13 PM

How much success did you have and did the deer hit them as well as people say?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/03/15 02:26 PM

A lot of folks on here plant them. The deer tear em up. If you can afford it, plant em.
Posted By: hunting13

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/03/15 04:49 PM

Work great. Just got to plant enough for heavy browsing. Keep them alive when they are going by fence or spray deterrent
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/03/15 06:07 PM

Definitely good beans but way over-priced. I've had exactly same results planting regular soybeans in side by side comparisons. Can't justify 2xs $ for their marketing
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/03/15 10:49 PM

Yes, the deer hit them well enough to kill them dead before they get 4" tall. That was our experience after several attempts in a 3 acre field, in an area with a high deer density.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/04/15 06:02 AM

Planting beans early - like now, and using deterrents in the fields can help get beans established. I use scarecrows, old T-shirts soaked with diesel fuel, pie plates, flashing lights, anything to get the beans up to about 12-18". They can take the pressure after that

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/04/15 01:43 PM

I'm fortunate enough to have big open fields that have just come off of CRP. Former bean farm in the 80's. Broken up very well between woods and fields.
Will Eagle beans stay green through early fall? I'm sure in the winter they will fall over. Should I plan on keeping at least 1/2 up and planting oats etc over the rest. Ive had incredible luck with Whitetail Institute oats. Deer walk through my clover and Biologic to get to them, although they are expensive.
Also will plant some Powerplant in some smaller openings.

Since the crp is done I'm planting these beans and other legumes rather than keeping the protein feeder route because the feeders were so expensive to keep filled, but will keep a few filled on the other parts of the farm.
Any suggestions on a spring/summer forage program would be appreciated.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/04/15 02:15 PM

We plant eagle beans in 3 plots on our place 8, 5, and 4 acres. We usually have enough to leave 1/2 standing with pods on them for the fall in the 8 and 5 acre plots mainly cause they're only sperated by a couple hundred yards. The 4 acre plot is kind of stand alone and we usually don't have enough to leave any of it.

They will brown up and die in the fall. We always plan on replanting atleast 1/2 of all our bean fields in green fields for hunting season
Posted By: perpetualdeermix

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/08/15 10:08 PM

Consider Quail Haven Soy Beans. Once established they will regrow even if eaten down. Works well planted with Sunn Hemp.
Posted By: D Wilborn

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/18/15 11:10 AM

I have tried another forage bean from Real World Wildlife Seed company. The beans grow 4 to 5 feet tall and make a lot of beans. They also seem to hold the beans in the pods a lot longer. I will have around 10 bags left for this year. They are $75.00/ 50# bag. I planted some last week and three days later they were already sprouting roots.

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/19/15 01:39 PM

Do deer in Alabama hit the bean pods hard in late winter like they do in the Midwest? I'm interested in tonnage of high protein green forage in the spring and summer. I planted lab lab one time years ago but the field was too small and never made.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/19/15 10:33 PM

No matter the size of the bean patches, put tape/ribbon around 2/3 rds of the beans and leave 1/3 out of the fence. The deer will eat the 1/3 while the other portion gets 6 ft tall. Come October remove the tape and let them try to eat all the beans. On opening day goto the patch and shoot the big one. Eagle Beans are awesome.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/20/15 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Ben2
No matter the size of the bean patches, put tape/ribbon around 2/3 rds of the beans and leave 1/3 out of the fence. The deer will eat the 1/3 while the other portion gets 6 ft tall. Come October remove the tape and let them try to eat all the beans. On opening day goto the patch and shoot the big one. Eagle Beans are awesome.

Do you have pictures of this? I can believe it but I'd like to see some pics. Deer are weird animals. I can easily believe they won't go near a ribbon, or anything else they aren't familiar with. My fear is that it would work for a little while until the 1/3 is gone and then they'd still hammer my beans to death.

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/20/15 10:12 AM

I posted pics last year and the year before here. Let me see if I still have them somewhere.

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/20/15 10:33 AM

I found the thread the pictures were in but the pics are no longer in the thread.
Here is the link to the thread

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post652239

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/25/15 09:00 PM

we are about to plant some more eagle beans in a week or two and I will do a much better job of photographing and detailing the layout and results with the taping so you all can see how it works.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/25/15 09:21 PM

we are about to plant some more eagle beans in a week or two and I will do a much better job of photographing and detailing the layout and results with the taping so you all can see how it works.

PlotSaver tape?

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/25/15 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe4majors

PlotSaver tape?

Tape 2/3 rds field leave 1/3rd for browsing
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: Anybody here plant Eagle Soybeans? - 05/28/15 08:34 AM

What kind of tape you using ben
© 2024 ALDEER.COM