Aldeer.com

keeping deer out of summer crops

Posted By: johndeere5036

keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/02/15 09:57 PM

I've planted some fields in hemp soybeans and clay peas and was wondering if I need to try and do something to keep the deer out.If so what would be some affordable options
Posted By: arKic

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/02/15 11:57 PM

double row electric fence, about the only way that will happen...
Posted By: Turkey

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/03/15 06:32 AM

I had good luck last year with the double row electric fence. Go to Gallagher's website and see how they're done. You can then either use their stuff or make your own material list and go to TSC or the Co-Op.
Posted By: Geezer

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/03/15 07:01 AM

Put some peanut butter on the top strand that will get their attention quick.
Posted By: centralala

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/03/15 07:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Geezer
Put some peanut butter on the top strand that will get their attention quick.

I don't know why everytime you say that I get a visual picture of a deer licking that peanut butter. Quite funny!!!
Posted By: shootnmiss

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/03/15 09:00 AM

Last year I took survey flagging bout belly high and tied strips of bout two foot long and bout two foot apart hanging down around a small field I planted. It worked purty good,and it was cheap. It kept off of it long enough.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/03/15 10:46 PM

The cheapest alternative may be spreading milorganite. It repels deer via scent. When the scent wears off, they'll be back. I wouldn't trust this to work better than a fence, but if you planted hemp, you don't need to keep them off very long to allow the hemp to establish.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/04/15 09:26 AM

Posted By: Runningdeer

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/04/15 10:59 AM

I've also recently heard that a few rows of strong fishing line around the garden will detour them.....kinda like us walking into a spider web.

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/04/15 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Runningdeer
I've also recently heard that a few rows of strong fishing line around the garden will detour them.....kinda like us walking into a spider web.

I read that too. It might be particularly effective if used like to two row fence design.

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/04/15 01:26 PM

Totally Agree, Yelp Softly.
Posted By: Surefire1911

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/04/15 04:54 PM

I just picked up 2600yards of 20lb test . Gonna try it out in a couple weeks

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/04/15 10:01 PM

I might try hanging some ribbon from it to mark it. If it's totally unseen, the first deer to bump into it may tear it to pieces. If you hang ribbon from it, they may be smart enough to recognize something is there and stay away from it.

Re: keeping deer out of summer crops - 05/05/15 09:34 AM

Let us know how it goes! Good luck to you. I have a terrible time with deer rubbing/mutilating my cedar trees (Leyland cypress, thujas, etc)during the rutting season. I have plans to run a few lines around them next winter.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM