Aldeer.com

The Rut

Posted By: getoutdoors

The Rut - 03/27/15 03:26 PM

This year we had our best rut in the 5 years of my clubs existence. The club is in Clarke county and the February extension had a great impact on our hunting this year. This morning I was turkey hunting and right at daybreak I heard what sounded like deer fighting so I eased up to where I could see and there were 2 big bucks getting after each other. One was the biggest buck I have ever seen at our place. I watched them for a while and then the bigger one went and bread a doe. These deer started mid January and they are still getting after it I know there is a second rut but dang that should have been weeks ago. The president actuay has a buck on camera mounting a doe in late July.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: The Rut - 03/27/15 07:29 PM

I went by our club yesterday afternoon to check for turkey sign on one of our fields. When I got to the field I saw deer running tracks everywhere and when I came out I noticed all the running track in the road. I thought if it were January this would be the sign that the rut was on. You know what this means....we have to shoot more does.
Posted By: 270koc

Re: The Rut - 03/28/15 05:57 AM

^^^^^^ try that and let us know how it works out for ya.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: The Rut - 03/28/15 07:03 AM

Already too many does being shot. IMO
Posted By: bigt

Re: The Rut - 03/28/15 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Squadron77
I went by our club yesterday afternoon to check for turkey sign on one of our fields. When I got to the field I saw deer running tracks everywhere and when I came out I noticed all the running track in the road. I thought if it were January this would be the sign that the rut was on. You know what this means....we have to shoot more does.
Maybe maybe not.....
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: The Rut - 03/28/15 08:39 AM

I saw a spike chase a doe in a clearcut on 112 yesterday morning.
Posted By: Clem

Re: The Rut - 03/28/15 09:25 AM

Shoot more does IF your numbers dictate it's needed.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: The Rut - 03/28/15 06:40 PM

It could also mean you need to shoot fewer bucks. It's definitely a sign that you have more does than bucks. It really depends on how many deer you have total. If you have many deer, it likely means you need to shoot more does. If your population density is low, it could mean you need to take a look at your buck harvest. Consider letting more of them walk. They will help breed those does during the typical rut.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: The Rut - 03/29/15 07:35 AM

I saw almost the exact same thing in Baldwin County yesterday morning. 2 NICE 8 points were chasing a doe.
Posted By: rothirsch

Re: The Rut - 03/29/15 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: olemossy
Already too many does being shot. IMO
thumbup
Posted By: velvet tines

Re: The Rut - 03/29/15 10:21 PM

as of last week, the bucks are still fighting in baldwin county. they just began losing their antlers about 3 days ago.
Posted By: rootstick

Re: The Rut - 03/30/15 12:58 AM

extend deer season to April 30 and all might be happy.

Re: The Rut - 03/30/15 12:59 AM

heck, year round deer hunting.

Re: The Rut - 03/30/15 01:00 AM

no season at all. Kill until the antlers fall off.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: The Rut - 03/30/15 07:04 AM

There is always a little boost of testosterone before a buck sheds his antlers. This can cause them to act "rutty" for a day or 2 until they shed.

Re: The Rut - 03/30/15 06:35 PM

If a yearling doe is born later than normal will that deer go into heat when she reaches sexual maturity? If so, will she go into heat even if it's two months later than the other does?
Posted By: Steve Ditchkoff

Re: The Rut - 04/01/15 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10
There is always a little boost of testosterone before a buck sheds his antlers. This can cause them to act "rutty" for a day or 2 until they shed.

Actually, there is a slight surge in testosterone at the initiation of antler growth. In Alabama, with our tendency to shed antlers late, these times can be very closely together, so it could easily be mistaken.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: The Rut - 04/01/15 07:05 AM

Dr. D, we need a FAQ section so you guys won't have to answer the same question so often. Instead of telling them what the deal is, just answer FAQ. wink

Re: The Rut - 04/01/15 07:05 AM

Originally Posted By: getoutdoors
If a yearling doe is born later than normal will that deer go into heat when she reaches sexual maturity? If so, will she go into heat even if it's two months later than the other does?

I'm not sure if you mean a yearling (1.5 year old) or fawn. But...deer are normally sexually mature within their first year. Fawns will go into heat if they reach a certain body size (meaning their body realizes that they can handle the dual drain on their system of maintaining a pregnancy while still putting on body mass. But, it is fairly uncommon on most properties in Alabama for fawns to go into heat due to their late birth dates relative to most other states. Yearling does will come into heat their first year, but you shouldn't be seeing this several months after the rut...unless they are recycling because they were not bred during previous estrous periods.

Re: The Rut - 04/01/15 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Gotcha1
Dr. D, we need a FAQ section so you guys won't have to answer the same question so often. Instead of telling them what the deal is, just answer FAQ. wink

Something makes me seem to recall that there was something like that in the past??? Quite a few years ago...or maybe it was something that they had posted that BSK had put together.
Posted By: trkymn6f0

Re: The Rut - 04/01/15 04:02 PM

Bred
Posted By: BSK

Re: The Rut - 04/08/15 07:36 AM

Every year, right around turkey opener, I get the same question: "I'm seeing bucks chasing does, fresh rubs and scrapes, and bucks fighting. Is the rut still going on in my area?"

First, a small percentage of does cannot conceive. They still enter estrus, and are bred, but they do not conceive. These does may continue to cycle into estrus every 28-30 days, 4 or 5 times following the first, primary estrus. Each time they enter estrus, bucks are all over them, as often, by that time, they are the only hot doe in the area. The rut in my area is early to mid-November, yet I've seen a group of bucks chasing a single estrus doe in every month of the winter, and even into the spring.

On the other hand, a sudden surge in buck rutting activity in late March or early April is usually what Dr. D mentioned--the surge of testosterone a buck's body produces just prior to antlergenesis--the new antler growth process. This usually occurs at this time of year. Some years, I'll leave my cameras running over traditional scrapes until late spring, and it's amazing to see the sudden interest in scrapes in April that had been ignored since December. And bucks don't just start visiting them again. They often go through the full scrape sequence.
Posted By: James

Re: The Rut - 04/09/15 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: BSK
Every year, right around turkey opener, I get the same question: "I'm seeing bucks chasing does, fresh rubs and scrapes, and bucks fighting. Is the rut still going on in my area?"

First, a small percentage of does cannot conceive. They still enter estrus, and are bred, but they do not conceive. These does may continue to cycle into estrus every 28-30 days, 4 or 5 times following the first, primary estrus. Each time they enter estrus, bucks are all over them, as often, by that time, they are the only hot doe in the area. The rut in my area is early to mid-November, yet I've seen a group of bucks chasing a single estrus doe in every month of the winter, and even into the spring.

On the other hand, a sudden surge in buck rutting activity in late March or early April is usually what Dr. D mentioned--the surge of testosterone a buck's body produces just prior to antlergenesis--the new antler growth process. This usually occurs at this time of year. Some years, I'll leave my cameras running over traditional scrapes until late spring, and it's amazing to see the sudden interest in scrapes in April that had been ignored since December. And bucks don't just start visiting them again. They often go through the full scrape sequence.
cool
Posted By: Clem

Re: The Rut - 04/09/15 10:12 AM

Thanks, BSK and Dr. Steve ... great info. Much appreciated.
Posted By: MorningAir

Re: The Rut - 04/09/15 08:39 PM

Shoot all your does and I promise, every buck on your property will have a 150 inch rack. Killing the does makes them bigger. Your deer sightings will also double. Also, the rut will be intense, and you'll be able to time it to a distinct time every year after you eliminate most of the does. I'm being serious, seriously serious, i read it in QDMA. Seriously, it works, no kidding.

Re: The Rut - 04/11/15 10:03 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I believe that it was probably a doe that is incapable of conceiving and keeps going into heat. We had pictures of a doe being mounted in July a couple years ago from the same area. It was likely the same doe.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM