Aldeer.com

Reflex sight on an AR update with images.

Posted By: sbo1971

Reflex sight on an AR update with images. - 02/14/14 06:46 PM

So I broke down and bought my first AR, Windham Weaponry R16M4FTT in 223. First let me say that I love this thing, it is so much fun to shoot. I bought it for yotes and maybe hogs as well and I bought a Sight Mark Ultra Dual Shot Pro Spec NV QD Reflex sight that also has a red laser on it. I went to the range to zero it at 50 yds and I have a few questions that I was hoping that some of you on here could help me with.
What should I expect out of this at 50 yds with a reflex sight?
The red dot covers the entire bulls eye so there is no pin point accuracy, is this normal? I have been able to put my rounds on the bulls eye and I have pretty good grouping as well.
The sight has four different reticle patterns, I zeroed using the standard red dot, if I swap to another reticle I assume that it would be best to re-zero with that reticle since it actually moves from one reticle to the other (I don't know how to explain it really) and could possibly be not centered the same as the other reticle(s).
I have also noticed that consistency with the cheek weld plays a huge part; with a normal scope, when I look through it I can tell if my cheek weld is off by the outer edges of the sight picture, which can't be done with a reflex sight so the only cure for that is practice right?
Posted By: pop_a_cap

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/14/14 08:32 PM

Sounds like your reflex site is setup more for CQB than target shooting. Only way to know if you need to rezero after switching reticles is to spend time at the range. I'd find one that works best for you at fifty and leave it there.

I have a Trijicon RMR/ACOG combo for my AR 10 and it has a very fine dot. Conversely the dot on an RMR atop my 5.7 is a bit bigger but is fine for CQB and plinking at the range.

Trijicon has several different dot sizes to choose from.

Looking at Sight Mark's web site doesn't seem they offer different dot sizes.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/14/14 08:39 PM

Yeah that is what I'm thinking as well, I can put the rounds on the bulls eye at 50 yds but I'm going to try some life size animal targets to see how it works.
Posted By: bs295

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/14/14 08:49 PM

All of the reflex type sights, ie; Eotech, Aimpoint, etc., are designed for close range shooting. The advantage to them is if used correctly, with both eyes open and your shooting eye focused on the dot/circle, you can put hits on target quickly.

Magnified optics are slower, but of course better for accuracy. You can use a magnifier in a flip to the side mount and put it behind your RDS, giving the option of magnified, or not shooting.

A lot of the SOF types use the Eotech with 3x magnifier on their M4 for this very reason. I used the same set up in AFG and liked it, except I used the Aimpoint 3x, instead of the Eotech model 3x, because to me the Aimpoint was clearer glass.

There are also several companies making 1-4x and 1-6x optics, that can be switched pretty quick with a "cat tail" lever. Those are good from up close to several hundred meters, but not many are true 1x, so they are not as quick as a RDS.

Depends on what you want on your rifle, and what the intended use is.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/14/14 10:30 PM

Where I hunt hogs, and where I am going to hunt coyotes, there is not any long range shots to be made, 50 yds max. The area is surrounded by thick brush and trees so there is a need for quick target acquisition which is why I didn't want a scope.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: sbo1971
Where I hunt hogs, and where I am going to hunt coyotes, there is not any long range shots to be made, 50 yds max. The area is surrounded by thick brush and trees so there is a need for quick target acquisition which is why I didn't want a scope.

So you will be doing some Close Quarter Combat on pigs.. You have the right setup then.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By: pop_a_cap

So you will be doing some Close Quarter Combat on pigs.. You have the right setup then.

thumbup Sounds like the name of a hunting show.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 09:46 AM

thumbup Sounds like the name of a hunting show.

Just mount a Go Pro or Contour on your gun or head and send us some video. They make a picatinny mount for the Contour that works well.
Posted By: hippi

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 12:53 PM

No substitute for an Eotech. IMHO.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 01:45 PM

Here are some images,
this is my set up right now, pretty much vanilla but have some plans for it

[img:left][/img]

This is from the range today, discovered that the sight was loose last night when I went to clean it so tightened it up and went back to the range. This was just some xtra shooting that I did once I had it hitting the bulls eye at 50 yds. The bullet hole that is lowest to the right was my first shot in this group of 14, I knew that it was off since I jerked the trigger for some reason.
While this is not as good as I would like or hope to get it how does this look for 50 yds with a red dot reflex sight? I discovered that if I turn the brightness down then the dot does not seem to cover everything up.

[img:left][/img]
Posted By: jmb1911

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: hippi

Unless it's an Aimpoint grin

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 03:16 PM

Here's my setup which covers longer shots as well as CQB and works well on feral hogs.

Posted By: NorthernAlpine

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 03:36 PM

Here's my setup which covers longer shots as well as CQB and works well on feral hogs.

That setup is spendy but awesome. Nice rig right there pop_a_cap.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthernAlpine

That setup is spendy but awesome. Nice rig right there pop_a_cap.

Thank you.. and yes it wasn't cheap but hopefully will last as long as I do.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 05:11 PM

Hard to tell with those pictures what your setup is.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 05:33 PM

Nothing major.. DPMS LR-308 with quad rail and Miculek compensator. Trijicon Acog with BDC and RMR combo.
Adjustable stock.. that's about it.
Posted By: NorthernAlpine

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 05:40 PM

Nothing major.. DPMS LR-308 with quad rail and Miculek compensator. Trijicon Acog with BDC and RMR combo.
Adjustable stock.. that's about it.

In english that means is his .308 has both magnification and a mini-red dot sight mounted on the same optic. Two birds, one stone. grin

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/15/14 09:26 PM

[quote=sbo1971]Hard to tell with those pictures what your setup is.

Sorry those were bad pics.. here are a few more maybe will help:
Shows the red dot on the RMR

Shows the lit reticle in the scope:

Looking at the front:

Looking from back of gun forward:
Posted By: Duckshooter

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/16/14 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: jmb1911

Unless it's an Aimpoint grin

x2
Posted By: shooters

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/16/14 01:13 PM

I like the aimpoint pro. Can be had for around 400 dollars. 9 settigs, battery life is great, NV capable. It works good behind PVS-14s. No halo. They save if you leave it on the 6th or 7th seating it will run for 5 years. I have had mine on 7th seating for over 2 years now@!

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/16/14 08:54 PM

Nice set up you have pop a cap, your pics weren't showing up on my PC at home.

What can be expected as far as accuracy on a reflex sight as 50 yds?

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/16/14 09:18 PM

Nice set up you have pop a cap, your pics weren't showing up on my PC at home.

What can be expected as far as accuracy on a reflex sight as 50 yds?

Had an issue where I originally uploaded the pics but since corrected. At 50 yds I wouldn't expect anything better than 2-3" but I could be off there. Seems like I originally sighted the reflex at 50 but cannot remember how it did. The gun is not a high end model and I mostly use it on feral pigs. For that it is great. The optics cost way more than the gun. For long shots I go to the ACOG. If a pig gets after me I'll go to the reflex site if he/she gets too close.

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/16/14 09:38 PM

Thanks for your help, I'm thinking that I may have it sighted in about as good as it's going to get. Planning on using this on yotes but have considered using it on hogs as well but I want to make sure that I'm as accurate as possible before I do that.
I had considered one in 308 but wanted one that my youngest son would be able to shoot as well.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Reflex sight on an AR - 02/16/14 09:50 PM

I REALLY like my Eotech, too!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM