Aldeer.com

Winchester 94

Posted By: 40Bucks

Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 01:22 PM

I'm inquiring for a friend who asked for my help.
He's trying to get a Win 94, top ejection, ready for his son to shoot. The son is left eye dominant, if that matters. He wants to mount a scope and needs info on any possibilities for a side mounted option. I researched what I could, and found that a side mount affects parallax and the most common alternative is adding a peep sight to the rear of the receiver. I've never seen a top eject model and have never owned a lever action of any kind so I have little to help him with in the way of advice or experience. I was wondering if any of you with expertise on the Win 94 could add your comments.
My thought was to practice practice practice using the iron sights but he wants a scope.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 02:43 PM

If he's dead set on using a scope, he'd be better off selling or trading that gun for one that is better suited for using scope.
Posted By: roadkill

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
If he's dead set on using a scope, he'd be better off selling or trading that gun for one that is better suited for using scope.

What the man said - I've got several deer and coyotes with a scoped Win 94 and it can work well. But there are many more and much better rifles that adapt naturally to a scope. In this case though, if he is truly left eye dominat, the scope mount on a Win 94 will be on the left side (scope will still be almost centered) so it really mighty be the easiest one for him.
Posted By: CAM

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
thumbup
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 03:21 PM

My dad has one. It was his first rifle he bought it back in the 60's. He mounted a scope on it with a side mount. Killed a few with it.

Dr. B
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 03:30 PM

a model 94 was not designed for a scope and putting a scope on one is like putting ketchup on a filet.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 03:41 PM

I had told him to either get the boy to practice with the iron sights or get a new gun. He's just being hardheaded. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 03:48 PM

I just got a 1969 model 94 bout a week ago and I'd never put a scope on it, I agree with Shaw, sell it and buy a bolt gun if your son really wants a scoped gun.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 07:16 PM

It's a sacrilegious to put a scope on a 94 besides As I've said before I don't think the 94 is a good choice for a kids gun.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 08:26 PM

I have a side mount for a Model 94 that I would give him if its for a kid. Has a cheap bushnell on it, I got it on a trade.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/03/14 11:34 PM

Or sell the 94 and get a Marlin where the scope mounts over the centerline
Posted By: paintrock

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/04/14 05:34 AM

pm sent.
Posted By: RMcL

Re: Winchester 94 - 02/05/14 12:37 AM

Please clarify:
Are you looking for a way for your son to shoot his Winchester 94 from the right shoulder while aiming with his dominant left eye?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM