Aldeer.com

Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets...

Posted By: Smitty4Bama

Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 10:49 AM

I have a Savage 110 (.270) that I have hunted with for years. I have taken good care of it and keep it clean but recently it will barely eject (with much force pulling on the bolt) an un-spent cartridge. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,

Smitty
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 11:06 AM

Factory ammo or handloads?

Dirty chamber? Have you scrubbed the chamber with a chamber brush?

OR, is there any noticable resistance when chambering a round?

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 11:29 AM

Factory Ammo is all I have ever fired through this rifle. I have not used a chamber brush for fear of damage to the metal. Is it safe to do? Also, there is no noticeable issue with loading/chambering a round, and it ejects fine after the round has been fired.

Thanks for your help!
Posted By: Bushmaster78

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 11:50 AM

Are you using hornady super performance ? I had same problem out of the gmx

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 12:06 PM

No, these are just plain old green-box remington cartridges.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 12:10 PM

You won't hurt the chamber if you use a brass/bronze or nylon brush. I've used regular bore brushes that were the same diameter as the chamber. I've even chucked them in a cordless drill and spun them in a chamber. Use a little bore cleaner with the brush and see if it fixes your problem.
Posted By: bama7x57

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 12:27 PM

Since its a push feed, pulling back hard on the bolt wont really help with ejection. Clean and inspect the ejector plunger and spring. Sometimes that assembly can get pretty gunked up and the plunger will "stick" with a piece of dirt or grit.

I'd disassemble, clean and lube and retry.

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 12:39 PM

I took it compeletly apart three weeks ago and cleaned and oiled it. The first two cartridges cycled through like a champ, but when I went hunting during Thanksgiving, it was back to its old tricks. I had to kill an 8 point just to get my casing out of the chamber. :-)

I don't know the detialed parts, where/what if the ejection plunger?
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 12:51 PM

http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/savage_110.gif

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 12:57 PM

Awesome! I'll try to work on it this weekend and see if I can get it straightened out!

Thanks!
Posted By: bill

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 01:00 PM

Try different ammo. I've seen this happen with a few different factory loads with the case swelling after the shot.
Posted By: bama7x57

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 02:05 PM

So it's not extracting the cartridge from the chamber? I think i misunderstood that it was not ejecting. The plunger only ejects the shell from the bolt and out of the gun.
If the chamber is clean, its probably an ammo problem. Cycle the whole box of ammo through it and see if certain ones hang. Try out a buddies 270 shells and see if you have the same problem.
Make sure you follow up when you figure it out.
Posted By: shooters

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 07:11 PM

when an extractor goes bad on a savage rifle it will often extract a shell one time or two then not the next time. you can get an extractor and spring from brownells for about 10 bucks.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Problem with Savage 110 ejecting bullets... - 12/11/13 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Smitty4Bama
Factory Ammo is all I have ever fired through this rifle. I have not used a chamber brush for fear of damage to the metal. Is it safe to do? Also, there is no noticeable issue with loading/chambering a round, and it ejects fine after the round has been fired.

Thanks for your help!

I'm confused...Is it not EXTRACTING the live round from the chamber or will it not EJECT it from the receiver? If it extracts and ejects fine when fired and doesn't stick with a live round in the chamber could the bullet of the live round be hitting the side of the receiver or possibly a scope base causing it not to eject properly??
© 2024 ALDEER.COM