Aldeer.com

Hunting Rifle Opinion

Posted By: Parkerwagner

Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 02:57 AM

Looking to buy a new higher end deer rifle and can’t decide what I want looking to spend around the 1k- 1,500 range, just wanting to get some suggestions to look into. TIA
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 03:20 AM

Rifle and scope of rifle only?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 03:37 AM

Walnut/blued steel or synthetic/stainless?

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 03:47 AM

Rifle only

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 03:48 AM

Synthetic/stainless
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by alhawk
Rifle and scope of rifle only?

$1000 for a rifle/scope isnt high end at all. You can get a nice shooter for that but not high end. I reckon it would take near $2500 to really reach the high end on a combo, wouldnt it? Unless you go used. I did get a Weatherby 257wbymag, zeiss hd5, 5 boxes of ammo, trigger upgrade and a nice soft case for $1000 a couple years ago. Good deals are out there, but not new guns.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 03:51 AM

Looking to spend that for rifle only

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 03:57 AM

Seems like folks on here go crazy for the model 7s
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 03:58 AM

Steyr, I think they are somewhere in your price range.

https://steyr-arms.us/steyr-pro-hunter-iii/

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 05:38 AM

Kimber Hunter Pro would be on the lower end of your budget and the Model 70 Extreme Weather would be towards the upper end. Both are great rifles. The Kimber Montana is another option towards the upper end of your budget. The action, trigger, & barrel are identical to the Kimber Hunter but the Montana has a much nicer, higher end composite stock.
Posted By: DHovey

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 08:01 AM

Bergara Carbon Wilderness
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 11:34 AM

Weatherby Mark V 257 Weatherby. Close to $2K but a very well made rifle.
Posted By: DonH

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 11:38 AM

if want something that shoot good buy a Tikka .
Posted By: booner

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 12:27 PM

Bergara Crest would be one if consider at that price point

https://www.eurooptic.com/Bergara-Crest-Rifles.aspx
Posted By: RidgeRanger

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Kimber Hunter Pro would be on the lower end of your budget and the Model 70 Extreme Weather would be towards the upper end. Both are great rifles. The Kimber Montana is another option towards the upper end of your budget. The action, trigger, & barrel are identical to the Kimber Hunter but the Montana has a much nicer, higher end composite stock.

Sound advice.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by RidgeRanger

Sound advice.

Sure is.

Also, if buying used is an option you could really upgrade with a 1500 budget.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 04:05 PM

Weatherby Mark V... all day.
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 04:20 PM

In that range I'd say Kimber 84, Sako 85 (might be a tad over your max, but possible), Weatherby Mark V or Winchester 70
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 04:27 PM

say what you like but a good ole savage gets it done.. And a steyr as well!!
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 05:25 PM

Sauer,sako,etc....
High end doesnt necessary mean most accurate. I have two remington 308's that will shoot the center of the center of a bullseye out. One is a model 700 vls and the other is a model 600. If you are just looking for braggin rights you need to spend more than 1500. If you just want looks then buy an accurate rifle and put a high end stock on it. Personally I go for accuracy and a great scope

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

Weatherby Mark V... all day.

Great rifles.
Posted By: hoggin

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/16/23 09:20 PM

If I were gonna spend that, I’d buy a model 7 or 700 if it already didn’t shoot lights out I’d have the action trued and a good barrel screwed on it find the stock and scope I liked and be done
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 12:03 AM

Sako finnlight in .308 but I’ve been very happy with my model 7 In .308
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 12:22 AM

Sako…
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
Sako finnlight in .308
Posted By: hayman

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 02:18 AM

Buy a cheaper rifle of your choice and put a good trigger in it and decent glass on it. No sense in spending any more than you have to just to go kill stuff. I hate using my better rifles to deer hunt with because they are going to get dinged and scratched. I just feel a lot better about it myself when there’s not as much money involved.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 02:36 AM

hayman for the win

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 03:15 AM

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.

Buy a nice rifle, kill stuff with it and enjoy it.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 03:36 AM

Sooo,
As mentioned, the Kimber lineup and Winchester….if you want a CRF/Mauser/full length extractor action? If you want light as possible in that set?…Kimber, hands down. Some may require some tinkering to smooth out feeding, and have mag lengths on the short side. Customizable easily, and factory stocks might be the best production factory design out there.

Winchester? Gets you Fort Knox, built like a tank actions, with inherent smoothness and plenty of length for long loads, while paying a weight penalty vs the Kimber, though they’re only 3oz or so heavier than a 700 or other push feed action. Imminently customizable as well.

Or, did you want a standard, two lug push feed? 700s or some of the Howa, Bergaras, or maybe Christensen models?

Then there are Sakos and nicer model Tikkas that might be in your window. The newer Mauser M18s and Sauer 100s are very smooth/fast.

CZs as well.

We can guess all day until you tell us more about YOUR criteria. I’m sure myself and others would be glad for you to handle or even shoot some of the various stuff, if there’s an opportunity.

I’ve generally got various CRF and PF based guns around, from ultralight to classic. Not sitting on any euro bolt guns at the moment….though all sorts of stuff visits the red light district in my gun safe on a regular basis.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

AMEN

I think some folks might underestimate how tough good walnut and deep blued steel really are. I’ve got a Supergrade that’s seen more hot loads than Monica Lewinsky and you’d never know it by looking at her.

gun
Posted By: rkt

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 09:42 AM

Tikka, christensen arms mesa
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 04:28 PM

Sako finnlight in .308 but I’ve been very happy with my model 7 In .308

Don't get one of the 85's with the "sticky" stock problem. Look for a 75
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 04:42 PM

got to shops and try them on. one of 'em will feel right. fitment, balance and trigger are keys.
Posted By: Jerstwrt

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 07:04 PM

Get a bar and be done with it
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 09:17 PM

Soooo any $1500 rifle will do is what you guys are saying? 🤣

Try a Mauser M18. They are the up and coming rifle I hear.

Now that I said Mauser… I think every rifle brand around was named.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/17/23 10:04 PM

One would be hard pressed to not buy Steyr. I haven't shot all the calibers offered but I've yet to pull the trigger on a Steyr and not be happy group wise. Yes the .376 kicks but it IS a .375 after all.
Posted By: bill

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/18/23 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ALMODUX
Sooo,
As mentioned, the Kimber lineup and Winchester….if you want a CRF/Mauser/full length extractor action? If you want light as possible in that set?…Kimber, hands down. Some may require some tinkering to smooth out feeding, and have mag lengths on the short side. Customizable easily, and factory stocks might be the best production factory design out there.

Winchester? Gets you Fort Knox, built like a tank actions, with inherent smoothness and plenty of length for long loads, while paying a weight penalty vs the Kimber, though they’re only 3oz or so heavier than a 700 or other push feed action. Imminently customizable as well.

Or, did you want a standard, two lug push feed? 700s or some of the Howa, Bergaras, or maybe Christensen models?

Then there are Sakos and nicer model Tikkas that might be in your window. The newer Mauser M18s and Sauer 100s are very smooth/fast.

CZs as well.

We can guess all day until you tell us more about YOUR criteria. I’m sure myself and others would be glad for you to handle or even shoot some of the various stuff, if there’s an opportunity.

I’ve generally got various CRF and PF based guns around, from ultralight to classic. Not sitting on any euro bolt guns at the moment….though all sorts of stuff visits the red light district in my gun safe on a regular basis.

Sound advice except I'd steer away from the Kimber unless I wanted to gamble on getting a decent shooter. I'm assuming their QC is still as substandard as its always been.

Personally I'd go with the Mark V or Steyr and be confident that I had a solid shooter that would outlast me.
Posted By: Narrow Gap

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/18/23 01:25 PM

Franchi Momentum Elite. Check one out and they are a couple hundred less than Your $1,000 budget. I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor and IMO it is a bargain for the price. Trigger on it is about as good as it get. No felt recoil whatsoever.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/18/23 04:24 PM

I have personally set up over a dozen Kimber rifles at this point, and they all shot well. Never had an issue finding a factory load that would group sub-MOA including a Kimber Montana that weighed 5 lbs before I scoped it and 5 lbs 12 oz after

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/24/23 09:39 PM

If I was looking at a ‘Euro’ rifle, it’d be Tikka, Mauser M18 (or12), Sauer 100, CZ600, or maybe even Steyr….not a fan of the sticks and weight on the Franchi/Benelli bolt guns. Just me.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/26/23 06:10 AM

AMEN

I think some folks might underestimate how tough good walnut and deep blued steel really are. I’ve got a Supergrade that’s seen more hot loads than Monica Lewinsky and you’d never know it by looking at her.

gun

Well. The horse is pretty dead now. But for my .02, I personally think that these days you get a more customized/accurate rifle than the older model guns. That’s just been my experience. There are so many weapons to chose from but hell, that’s half the fun. I am blessed to have a bunch of guns, old and new. Truth has already been said but you really don’t have to spend a lot on a good rifle. The optic is so much more important!!

Lots of cool calibers too! The whole short mag and PRC deal has opened all sorts of opportunities in the past 20 years. I think I would look into the caliber I wanted first, then decide if I want wood/blue or synthetic/cerakote.

You just can’t lose with Tikka, Sako, Steyr, and many others.

I personally think that for the money, the Tikka T3X is about as good as it gets.
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/27/23 04:25 AM

Browning X Bolt white gold medallion in maple
Or
One of the newer BAR short tracks

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 11/27/23 09:14 PM

Weatherby Mark V is best action ever designed.

No reason to buy a cheap rifle with a $1500 budget. You get what you pay for.... and in some instances you get less than what you pay for with rifles under $1500.
Posted By: Jason Carroll

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/05/23 03:01 AM

I'd buy a savage 110 in 270 and spend as much as could on glass. A weatherby vanguard is guaranteed sub moa with a price tag under &600. But if I just had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy a bergara ..... Then spend as much as I could on glass....
Posted By: Semo

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/05/23 02:40 PM

Weatherby Mark V is best action ever designed.

No reason to buy a cheap rifle with a $1500 budget. You get what you pay for.... and in some instances you get less than what you pay for with rifles under $1500.

I would agree with this.
Posted By: deadeye

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/05/23 05:52 PM

Steyr
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/05/23 11:51 PM

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4032904#Post4032904

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/06/23 12:14 AM

Given the choice between a weatherbu MK V and almost any other action ever made? You can have the Weatherby. I’ll take whatever is behind door #2 and not lose any sleep. If I had to take the Weatherby, I’d trip it to someone I didn’t like. If it’s a Vanguard/Howa, I’m in.
Posted By: brassmagnet

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/13/23 09:16 AM

Well, I'm f@#k56n wondering where you are hunting deer at 1000 to 1500 yards in this state? And why? And have you thought about maybe getting a little closer,I mean,shots that will kill at that range tend to hurt on both ends, and the most deer I have killed have been under 100 yards and again, why??
Yo money though if that's what you like, dead is dead. And I know the power of a faceplace pic or vid.!!!!! I would at least get a Christianson Arms and save up for a scope.
Posted By: Justice

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/13/23 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by brassmagnet
Well, I'm f@#k56n wondering where you are hunting deer at 1000 to 1500 yards in this state? And why? And have you thought about maybe getting a little closer,I mean,shots that will kill at that range tend to hurt on both ends, and the most deer I have killed have been under 100 yards and again, why??
Yo money though if that's what you like, dead is dead. And I know the power of a faceplace pic or vid.!!!!! I would at least get a Christianson Arms and save up for a scope.

Um, if you're responding to the OP, he meant he wanted a rifle recommendation in the $1000-$1500 range, not a rifle to shoot at animals at 1k-1.5k yards.
Posted By: Sharpshooter69

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/13/23 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by bill
Sooo,

CZs as well.

Sound advice except I'd steer away from the Kimber unless I wanted to gamble on getting a decent shooter. I'm assuming their QC is still as substandard as its always been.

Personally I'd go with the Mark V or Steyr and be confident that I had a solid shooter that would outlast me.

Yes, Kimber QC is trash as always.

I just purchased a new MK5 Accumark in 270WM and a Tikka TX3 Veil in 308 Win. I own several custom and semi-custom rifles. For the money you would be hard pressed to beat the upper end Tiika rifles.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 02:18 AM

I continue to hear bad stuff about Kimber rifles and their accuracy.

I have mounted scopes on well over a dozen by now, and never touched one that wouldn't shoot into less than 1 MOA. Best one was a .280 Ackley that would cloverleaf at 100 yards with Nosler factory ammo. My personal experience is that they are as accurate as the Tikka rifles.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by UncleHuck

I continue to hear bad stuff about Kimber rifles and their accuracy.

I have mounted scopes on well over a dozen by now, and never touched one that wouldn't shoot into less than 1 MOA. Best one was a .280 Ackley that would cloverleaf at 100 yards with Nosler factory ammo. My personal experience is that they are as accurate as the Tikka rifles.

I hear bad stuff about any rifle or product that people start mainstream liking. People just can’t stand the success of other products or people anymore.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 02:42 PM

A Kimber is not a bench rest rifle or a long range hunting rifle. But it is one of the best designed hunting rifles made. Light, accurate enough, and pointable. You can't compare apples and oranges. Out to 400 yards it will do the job in a decent shooters hands. Further with a great shooter that knows the rifle.
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 03:20 PM

My Kimber in 280 Ackley is crazy accurate, sample size of 1, I know but it's definitely one of my favorites.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 03:36 PM

Most of the Kimber rifles I have owned and shot would definitely out shoot any Tikka I have owned or shot.

So there is that. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing at least. I shoot Tikkas all the time they sell a bunch up at Mark's to all the Topwaters. But when one of those comes to me and says they need help getting their gun dailed in you know what I say? Absolutely nothing. I have never told anyone I think their gun is a POS I just get it to shoot and hand it back to them with the ammo (handloads) and a target.

But back to Kimber's accuracy.... Look at it this way.... most of the guns of any manufacture that I shoot with accuracy issues the scope is loose. Usually the fact that is it crooked tips me off. Dumbasses are around every corner. And they post on the internet.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 05:04 PM

Most of the Kimber rifles I have owned and shot would definitely out shoot any Tikka I have owned or shot.

So there is that. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing at least. I shoot Tikkas all the time they sell a bunch up at Mark's to all the Topwaters. But when one of those comes to me and says they need help getting their gun dailed in you know what I say? Absolutely nothing. I have never told anyone I think their gun is a POS I just get it to shoot and hand it back to them with the ammo (handloads) and a target.

But back to Kimber's accuracy.... Look at it this way.... most of the guns of any manufacture that I shoot with accuracy issues the scope is loose. Usually the fact that is it crooked tips me off. Dumbasses are around every corner. And they post on the internet.

So you are saying you disagree ? This is my shocked face rofl

I have a completely different body of experience with you on this topic. Not saying you're wrong with your body of data, but it's just not what I've experienced.

Serious question though.... On average, how do your Tikka's group ? Over an inch ? Over 2 inches ?

The only issue I am aware of that makes a Tikka "inaccurate is the recoil lug. But this issue happens most when people take the stock off to clean it and don't get it bolted up right for round 2. An easy fix.

But I will give you this, the factory stocks on most Tikka's leave a lot to be desired. And I do love the Kimber stocks. They are just about perfect and are far superior to the Tikka's . Both wood and composite.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 05:56 PM

I do not own nor have I shot a Kimber. I really want a Montana, but they just don't fit me when I shoulder the rifle. The stock is as good as anything MacmIllan, Manners, etc. can make, it just doesn't fit me.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 07:55 PM

I do not own nor have I shot a Kimber. I really want a Montana, but they just don't fit me when I shoulder the rifle. The stock is as good as anything MacmIllan, Manners, etc. can make, it just doesn't fit me.

I get that too. Everything fits people differently. You have to find the right fit for you. That's why I swapped my last Tikka stock out with one from Mesa Precision. It fit much better.

But I cannot understand why anyone would bash Tikka rifles. They are basically Sako's made in Finland with the high quality steel and great machine work. The only 2 beefs I have is the one for all magazine, and the cheap stock. the steel is upper level though. The other issues can be easily swapped out.

Oh.... and they will shoot.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by BPI

I get that too. Everything fits people differently. You have to find the right fit for you. That's why I swapped my last Tikka stock out with one from Mesa Precision. It fit much better.

But I cannot understand why anyone would bash Tikka rifles. They are basically Sako's made in Finland with the high quality steel and great machine work. The only 2 beefs I have is the one for all magazine, and the cheap stock. the steel is upper level though. The other issues can be easily swapped out.

Thought you might like this:
"To add insult to injury, the Tikka T3 is designed to be a cheap rifle to manufacture, but it is relatively expensive to purchase. (Ditto the disgraceful S&W I-Bolt!) These economy rifles retail for as much or more than a number of higher quality, better designed and better turned-out hunting rifles. Their success is a tribute to the ignorance of the modern American sportsman, intentionally fostered by the connivance of the outdoor media upon which they rely for information."

Article quote came from

I read that a couple weeks ago and it stuck in my head because I knew there were many fans on this site.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 09:20 PM

Tikkas are cheaply made rifles. Period. They exemplify all the modern shortcuts in manufacturing. Recoil Lug is garbage design. One size fits all action. Stock.

How do they shoot? Average group is MOA with handloads. That is not special in 2023. I don't shoot factory ammo hardly ever so wouldn't have a sample size large enough to comment on that.

Claim to fame = It's almost a Sako. News Flash - that new Sako is also just a Beretta.

Doh!

DOH!

Get one in .243, shoot a 50 grain Magic Bullet and kill elephants. However, if you want a nice rifle look elsewhere. If you want one that is almost guaranteed to shoot well... this is no reason to look at a Tikka either.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 09:36 PM

80 grains... get it right goat

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by BPI

Last few I weighed were between 79 and 81 grains which is another conversation about Barnes....

However... this hater will be shooting some of their magic 165's tomorrow BTW grin

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 09:47 PM

As long as it's in a 50 BMG you should be good to go !

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/14/23 10:39 PM

If you can find a Kimber Adirondack and throw it in an original Montana stock, you’ll probably never look sideways at any Model 7 again (or MANY other bolt action, lightweight deer rifles). I hear some folks don’t like the stock fit….but if you shoot it, you’ll generally like it: soaks up recoil like a biscuit in gravy. It’s hard for me to grab and hunt my other rifles nearly as much as that Adirondack. I’ve got 700s and 70s that I like, but for small, light, easy to shoot, and accurate it’s hard to beat.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by BPI

Last few I weighed were between 79 and 81 grains which is another conversation about Barnes....

However... this hater will be shooting some of their magic 165's tomorrow BTW grin

Delivered courtesy of a 300Wby @ 3350fps +/- ?

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by BPI

My son's older T3 .308 will shoot anything we've ever loaded it with, both factory and hand loads MOA or less. I had a .243 Kimber 84 that wouldn't shoot anything , I found it a new home.

Tikkas are good using rifles , they ain't flashy .
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by BPI

I weigh everything and never had that kind of variation in Barnes bullets, worse than Berger yes and worse than some of the customs I shoot absolutely but not 3gr difference
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 03:58 AM

Tikkas are cheaply made rifles. Period. They exemplify all the modern shortcuts in manufacturing. Recoil Lug is garbage design. One size fits all action. Stock.

How do they shoot? Average group is MOA with handloads. That is not special in 2023. I don't shoot factory ammo hardly ever so wouldn't have a sample size large enough to comment on that.

Claim to fame = It's almost a Sako. News Flash - that new Sako is also just a Beretta.

Doh!

DOH!

Get one in .243, shoot a 50 grain Magic Bullet and kill elephants. However, if you want a nice rifle look elsewhere. If you want one that is almost guaranteed to shoot well... this is no reason to look at a Tikka either.

Funny you say that.tikka actions are considered one slight step below custom actions.very sought after right now for remage barrels and or shouldered.not alot of difference between a Tikka and a bottom tier custom action
And usually the Tikka rifles are more consistent than sako.as much as I don't want to say it sako rifles are more subject to suck .
The Tikka rifles just work

Beretta is an importer.dont steer these folks wrong who may not know any different
Tikka rifles are jam up.all of them
Very rarely a dud compared to everything else

Finns don't play with rifles.they are for sure craftsman and rifleman.
One word Lapua .your off Little rough barreled savage guy with your crappy b.s blade trigger

I know your joking around and cutting up but don't steer folks wrong who don't know any different cause they are great amazing rifles just so rookies know.dont listen to this goober.he likes ugly rifles with extremely rough barrels that copper foul horrible and the triggers suck.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 04:18 AM

Why true up a rem 700 when a Tikka will out do it more consistently and compete with anything thing or name you can throw out there.or get you close
We won't put savage into the mix.id like a elite precision savage but I'd throw the barrel in the garbage and the trigger the second I bought it and that's the most expensive savage you can buy.sucks to buy a $1800 rifle and throw the trigger and barrel in garbage immediately but that is what I would do and I'm serious
Posted By: RidgeRanger

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 05:12 AM

If you can find a Kimber Adirondack and throw it in an original Montana stock, you’ll probably never look sideways at any Model 7 again (or MANY other bolt action, lightweight deer rifles). I hear some folks don’t like the stock fit….but if you shoot it, you’ll generally like it: soaks up recoil like a biscuit in gravy. It’s hard for me to grab and hunt my other rifles nearly as much as that Adirondack. I’ve got 700s and 70s that I like, but for small, light, easy to shoot, and accurate it’s hard to beat.

As you said, IF you can find one. They are scarce as hen's teeth and no longer on the Kimber website. The last new one I saw came home with me, and that was several years ago. It is a great little rifle though. Too bad they aren't still making it.
Posted By: James

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Sako finnlight in .308

Yep love my 75 (mines a 7mm-08)

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Semo
Originally Posted by BPI

Thought you might like this:
"To add insult to injury, the Tikka T3 is designed to be a cheap rifle to manufacture, but it is relatively expensive to purchase. (Ditto the disgraceful S&W I-Bolt!) These economy rifles retail for as much or more than a number of higher quality, better designed and better turned-out hunting rifles. Their success is a tribute to the ignorance of the modern American sportsman, intentionally fostered by the connivance of the outdoor media upon which they rely for information."

Article quote came from

I read that a couple weeks ago and it stuck in my head because I knew there were many fans on this site.

I didn't read article but figure I know where it is going.but any way yeah Tikka started out fabricating actions from a tubular piece of steel so look at all the rem 700 clones high dollar actions .they look like a round cylinders
Ha all the big money actions do also.hmmm

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 06:37 AM

The deal with Tikka rifles are super slick bolt lift ,great factory triggers,and hand lapped barrels that don't foul .
Now find you any brand rifle under $1000 with a barrel that doesn't foul.

I would like to hear what factory barrels y'all have fired that aren't copper mines and clean out with no problem.
But this is a question for folks in the know on proper barrel cleaning.
Copper and carbon do not build up at all from day one in either of my Tikka rifles.huge in my book.this means attention to detail and added steps to insure quality
But I shoot alot more than most folks to know
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 01:12 PM

I have a sako finnlight, tikka t3x superlite, Winchester extreme weather, kimber 84m and a rem model 7. My Winchester extreme weather is my favorite. I know where a smokin deal on an extreme weather 300wsm is in Baldwin county. If it were 7-08 or 7mm mag, it would be in my safe already.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 02:43 PM

What Chuck Hawks article failed to mention are the massive improvements in CNC tolerances since the glory days of rifle building. Yes, more detail went into a rifle then, but the tolerances were nowhere close to where they are now.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 04:47 PM

Pretty neat video on how Sako and Tikka are made.

Posted By: burbank

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 05:48 PM

Hawks was just burthurt that Tikka consistently makes a more accurate rifle vs. those of many blue bloods.

They do look and feel a little cheap to me, but they shoot. Same could be said of the Ruger American.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/15/23 06:55 PM

Unfortunately for Tikka Windowlickers.... A rifle that shoots well in 2023 is nothing special

That ship has sailed so continually telling the world your rifle shoots MOA is pretty much the equivalent of telling the world that you enjoyed your breakfast this morning....

It has become completely irrelevant to the conversation. Unless someone is directly asking about a Tikka which in 99% of the cases they aren't.

It is annoying as hell.... maybe slightly less annoying than me harassing y'all.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/16/23 12:00 AM

Tikkas are great for lefties , they offer several different rifles in a wide range of calibers. Most companies don't offer anything on a .308 case , much less in stainless . It's a right handed world. Bout the only thing a lefty has an advantage at is throwing a baseball. I bought my lefty son a NIB, T3 lite stainless in .308 about 15 years ago for $475. I know they've went way up since then . No way you could get anything in lefty close to that for that $ back then. Boy that thing is rough on deer with those magic Barnes bullets. smile
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/16/23 05:38 AM

Unfortunately for Tikka Windowlickers.... A rifle that shoots well in 2023 is nothing special

That ship has sailed so continually telling the world your rifle shoots MOA is pretty much the equivalent of telling the world that you enjoyed your breakfast this morning....

It has become completely irrelevant to the conversation. Unless someone is directly asking about a Tikka which in 99% of the cases they aren't.

It is annoying as hell.... maybe slightly less annoying than me harassing y'all.

Sorry there Goat but I have to disagree with you. On many levels. I own brownings, Christensens, Remingtons(suck), Rugers, winchesters, marlins, and several custom builds. My T3x maybe one of the most accurate guns I own and definitely one of the most shootable! If if feels great in every way and shoots great, then what’s the problem? Yes, I know there are lots of non-refined weapons that people shoot and are accurate but they usually feel bad with weight or bad triggers etc. I personally think you are steering people wrong on the Tikka and every Tikka OWNER I have ever met would probably agree with me.

For all the Tikka owners out there, I would say we won’t be licking windows but you can lick these Nuts!!!

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/16/23 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bore

Sorry there Goat but I have to disagree with you. On many levels. I own brownings, Christensens, Remingtons(suck), Rugers, winchesters, marlins, and several custom builds. My T3x maybe one of the most accurate guns I own and definitely one of the most shootable! If if feels great in every way and shoots great, then what’s the problem? Yes, I know there are lots of non-refined weapons that people shoot and are accurate but they usually feel bad with weight or bad triggers etc. I personally think you are steering people wrong on the Tikka and every Tikka OWNER I have ever met would probably agree with me.

For all the Tikka owners out there, I would say we won’t be licking windows but you can lick these Nuts!!!

Dayyum I love it.i agree 💯
Same here you just hope the big money custom you just had built shoots as good as your Tikka. seriously
All kidding aside .been there and still hoping my customs shoot as well after a fortune spent.seriously

Freak of nature economy rifles for your goat.no other other explanation

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/16/23 06:37 AM

I do highly disagree there is nothing under $1000 that can compare.maybe a Kimber but hit and miss from what I hear but I wouldnt have problem buying one of those either.kimber hunter but they lack in cartridges offered.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/16/23 07:04 AM

I bought my first Tikka 308 stainless at Simmons when they first came out.for $479 on Christmas Eve in 308 many years ago.you don't own a rifle that shoots as good as it does I promise.now I have a laminate stainless in 300 wsm for a few years that is right there with it.same game.
We can start having aldeer shoot competition if y'all want.we can do light weight hunting type rifles economy goat says and I'll leave my high end toys at home.lmao
Goat can bring his economy and I can bring mine.fair is fair

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/16/23 08:00 AM

Savage vs Tikka

So funny 😂
Posted By: Driveby

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/18/23 03:53 AM

Get a Steyr and be done with it.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/18/23 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Driveby

Only have 3 probs with a steyr.i hate the roller safety especially wearing gloves,next they did away with the wood stock model years ago and the composite stocks don't thrill me and pretty brutal for recoil also of bigger cartridges.not a deal breaker cause I'm not recoil sensitive as most but definitely noticed on one I had and last they are horrible to rust.i think they don't wash the bluing salts off well.idk just imo
But they do shoot well and look nice
Posted By: Driveby

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/18/23 12:10 PM

I’ve had a 300’winmag for about 25 years and I have always felt that the recoil was less felt with it compared to many other guns. It may be because it’s so stinking heavy. Those hammer forged barrels are hard to beat for accuracy though. Austrian steel topped with German glass. 😁
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/18/23 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 3% outdoorsman

Only have 3 probs with a steyr.i hate the roller safety especially wearing gloves,next they did away with the wood stock model years ago and the composite stocks don't thrill me and pretty brutal for recoil also of bigger cartridges.not a deal breaker cause I'm not recoil sensitive as most but definitely noticed on one I had and last they are horrible to rust.i think they don't wash the bluing salts off well.idk just imo

I believe the Steyr SM12 and CLII come in a wood stock version. I like the SBS roller, find it easy to use with my thumb. Have not had a problem with rusting.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/18/23 09:16 PM

I like steyr. I've owned a couple of stainless ones and one blued 7 mag. The blued one was really bad to rust. Never had any issues with the stainless.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/19/23 03:14 AM

I guess I’m different. I think tikka makes a fine gun but I don’t care for them. I’m into the older stuff. Browning a bolts, Remington 700s (older ones), Winchester m70 featherweights, Browning BAR Safaris, JM stamp Marlins and the likes. These new guns just don’t do it for me, and it’s not that they aren’t accurate or good guns. Just cheapish imo and I can’t put my finger on it.

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/19/23 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by BigEd
Originally Posted by 3% outdoorsman

I believe the Steyr SM12 and CLII come in a wood stock version. I like the SBS roller, find it easy to use with my thumb. Have not had a problem with rusting.

I like a steyr don't get me wrong just listening to people I've hunted with throughout years and mentioning the mountain or woodsman maybe Forester ?I think it was I wanted they offered years ago
My bro in law sold a steyr in 338 federal cause he missed a deer cause safety wasn't rolled off all the way is why I mentioned
IDK. Not me

Re: Hunting Rifle Opinion - 12/19/23 04:06 AM

I’ve had a 300’winmag for about 25 years and I have always felt that the recoil was less felt with it compared to many other guns. It may be because it’s so stinking heavy. Those hammer forged barrels are hard to beat for accuracy though. Austrian steel topped with German glass. 😁

I agree nice rifles just throwing out observations.ive always wanted one

I feel if Steyr made a better fiberglass stock with the awesome hammer forged barrel they would outsell everyone hands down.
I want to work at Steyr and revamp there rifles.lol they could really outperform everyone easily with a few tweaks or upgrades
They just seem a little out of touch with American market now days but definitely are good rifles compared to most
© 2024 ALDEER.COM