Aldeer.com

7mm prc

Posted By: RAmerica

7mm prc - 01/22/23 03:10 AM

Anyone have one yet? Pros/cons, I have two 6.5 prc been thinking about selling one and adding a 7mm prc,thanks
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 03:57 AM

Got a buddy that's a custom gun builder, fixi
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 03:57 AM

No but I've got a 7 FCP barrel being spun up not sure what I'm gonna do with it though.
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 03:58 AM

Got a buddy that's a custom gun builder, fixing to build one. I'll post it, when he's done!

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jdkprp70
Got a buddy that's a custom gun builder, fixing to build one. I'll post it, when he's done!

Good luck finding ammo or brass you'd be better off with a 7-6.5 at leat you can find brass if you reload
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 04:10 AM

My friend got one in a fierce rifle.$$$$, but looks real cool. Ballistics reports look great.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 04:24 AM

If it makes it, could be great. Seems to do the heavies better than 7mm Rem Mag or .280 Ackley

I do love a ..280 Ackley, though. Mine is awesome with the custom load Wes made
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 02:43 PM

If you’re into shooting big game over 500 yards, go for it.
Posted By: tshane57

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 03:45 PM

I walked into my LGS set on a 7mm prc. Just my luck they had ammo but no rifles chambered in it: went with 300wsm due to getting a great deal on the rifle. Look up the 7mm prc ballistics, I think the round is going to take off. Exciting these past few years to see the advancements in shooting/hunting calibers
Posted By: XVIII

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by tshane57
I walked into my LGS set on a 7mm prc. Just my luck they had ammo but no rifles chambered in it: went with 300wsm due to getting a great deal on the rifle. Look up the 7mm prc ballistics, I think the round is going to take off. Exciting these past few years to see the advancements in shooting/hunting calibers

ive moved exclusively to 300wsm for long range. lots of ammo avail out there. the 150gr stuff is extremely flat and still has plenty of energy out to 4 and 500yds.
Posted By: tshane57

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 08:11 PM

Good to hear. Right now I’m shooting 180gr Norma bondstrike because that’s what LGS had. Have only shot out to 400 on targets thus far, but very pleased with it and the Norma ballistic app was spot on for scope clicks
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 09:38 PM

Heck, I would shoot elk out to 400 yards with my 7-08 and 140 grain Accubonds. That’s what I’m taking on my next elk hunt.

I’ll pass on the 7 PRC.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 09:45 PM

Looks very promising.good balance of long range performance on any north American game without being overkill on whitetail.7mm prc with the berger 195 eol bullet would be a bad son of a gun.
Will be hard for me to pass up once reloading components become available.and rifles .lol maybe build one since Tikka seems to be only company that can make a rifle shoot nowadays .sad even with the Tupperware stocks .maybe Browning x bolt in the new long range deal they got?idk
Hope 7mm prc catches on.like what I see

Re: 7mm prc - 01/22/23 10:15 PM

Shouldn't be to bad of a barrel burner also
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 02:34 AM

Why get a prc when it’s basically the same as the 7 mag
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by 87dixieboy

It's new and amazing. It fires the same bullets at almost the same velocity at the 7 mm RM but its just better.

Kind of like how the 6.5 Creedmoor is far superior to the 260 Remington. rolleyes
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 03:29 AM

Stop that common sense both of you.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 03:30 AM

Now now! He who is without cool stuff can cast the first bonded bullet!

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 03:39 AM

Well it's not .good bit of velocity difference and it's not a belted magnum so you get better brass life.
They should be throated out for long heavy bullets also.if you don't have a 7mm it's a good choice imo
175-180gr bullets pushing 3000fps and 195 gr over 2800fps.its in 300wsm,300winmag,338-06 category.7mag is marginally better than 308

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

It's new and amazing. It fires the same bullets at almost the same velocity at the 7 mm RM but its just better.

Kind of like how the 6.5 Creedmoor is far superior to the 260 Remington. rolleyes

Little more differences than those two.6.5 allows bullets seated out slightly further and 260 has slightly more case capacity.not much difference thery
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 04:27 PM

7mm PRC vs. 7mm Rem Mag....

Really no advantage until you get over 1,000 yards. That's the answer.

The difference is going to be the twist in the rifle barrel and the bullets you are shooting. For long range target shooting... 7mm PRC. For hunting whitetails at 500 yards.... 160's in a 7mm Rem Mag.

Another cartridge that is basically identical to an already existing cartridge. But - That doesn't mean don't like it...

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 06:33 PM

No belt is the big thing for reloaders plus no mag action

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 09:31 PM

The belt has never bothered me and never understood the big issue with it.

I've never had any problems killing stuff with 140-168 gr bullets with my 7 RM well beyond 300 yards and won't be taking 1000 yard shots at game. I've got a lot of guns to choose from when I open the safe by my cheap M700 ADL SS 7 mm Remington magnum is a trusted friend for many of my hunts.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: 7mm prc - 01/23/23 11:21 PM

Same.

7mmPRC is an interesting round but not so much I can't wait to get one built. Hornady has done an outstanding job of releasing and marketing new cartridges all designed to shoot heavy bullets. Problem is, I don't always want to shoot heavy bullets.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/24/23 12:17 AM

I've never had any problems killing stuff with 140-168 gr bullets with my 7 RM well beyond 300 yards and won't be taking 1000 yard shots at game. I've got a lot of guns to choose from when I open the safe by my cheap M700 ADL SS 7 mm Remington magnum is a trusted friend for many of my hunts.

Headspaces off the belt it's fine for getting several firings off a case I've never had a problem either I'd rather reload unbelted. I shoot a 300 win now belt and all lol. I had a 300 imp heavy gun once it's hard to keep belted cases consistent and brass life sux but for hunting its not a issue.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/24/23 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by 1bamashooter

Headspaces off the belt it's fine for getting several firings off a case I've never had a problem either I'd rather reload unbelted. I shoot a 300 win now belt and all lol. I had a 300 imp heavy gun once it's hard to keep belted cases consistent and brass life sux but for hunting its not a issue.

After the first firing I headspace off the shoulder, except of course my 375 H&H. Most factory rifles have a lot of extra space in the chamber and I typically see .018" to .026"
stretch in the case.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by 3% outdoorsman

Well it's not .good bit of velocity difference and it's not a belted magnum so you get better brass life.
They should be throated out for long heavy bullets also.if you don't have a 7mm it's a good choice imo
175-180gr bullets pushing 3000fps and 195 gr over 2800fps.its in 300wsm,300winmag,338-06 category.7mag is marginally better than 308

It isn’t hard to get a 7RM close to 3000fps with a 175 grain. May not be factory but I assume we aren’t worried about that if we are worried about brass life.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 03:27 AM

It isn’t hard to get a 7RM close to 3000fps with a 175 grain. May not be factory but I assume we aren’t worried about that if we are worried about brass life.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

coles petrol station near me

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 03:31 AM

Good luck.i been studying this crap since a young kid.good bit of difference.
You'd have to stomp really hard on a 7mm rem mag to meet performance .
It truly hits a sweet spot for alot of people .that data is 7mm rem mag

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 03:34 AM

That's hodgdon reloading it gets closer to my chonograpghs than any other data .Lyman being second.not to mention other benefits of cartridge and only 50fps separates every cartridge ever made

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 03:50 AM

I agree they keep coming out with same cartridge over and over but this one is in a sweet spot .
I got bored with the paw paw cartridges along time ago

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 04:13 AM

Check out the video on YouTube from HillCountry Rifles. They shoot the 7prc in 20”,22”,&24”. They shoot it at 300,500,800,& 1000 yards. Very very impressive performance.

I have the 6.5prc and love it. Starting to look at the new fierce rogue in 7prc. Seems fairly inexpensive for what you get. I think fierce is trying to compete with less expensive rifles like the. Christensen Ridgeline.

If you like accurate weapons….it’s a great time to be alive!!!!

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 04:14 AM

About all of that data you posted.

The 7mm RM was assigned a lower MAP by SAAMI years ago due to some pressure anomalies with certain bullets with certain powders. The 7 PRC has a higher MAP of 65K psi compared to the 7mm RM MAP of 61 K psi. All of the max loads you listed top out around 60K psi.

It is entirely safe to run higher than SAAMI MAP in the 7mm RM with modern powders. 3000 FPS is easy with 168 gr bullets in a 24" barrel, and 2900+ FPS with 175 gr bullets would be easy.

I doubt a deer is going to notice the 50-75 FPS difference at any range.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 04:52 AM

No no critter will no difference.its all apples and oranges just like to keep it interesting and real .🤣

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

panty and stocking wallpaper

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 04:57 AM

So roughly 100 fps difference with 20gr heavier bullets for the 7prc not huge and no game will no difference but it is a better cartridge in all respects.not to mention the more inherently accurate shoulder angle

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 05:04 AM

Yeah early testing of 7prc had fellers before published data was running 3000+ with no pressure signs.hard to believe in a shorter body case but rok slide,high road and accurate shooter guys are all over this cartridge well before guns have been released and saami specs.not knocking anything just think it's a good one.especially since the only 7mm I have is a 7x57 that's boringly killed DRT everything.lol
And it's a tiny light weight short barreled carbine all the fellers here like

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 05:30 AM

So roughly 100 fps difference with 20gr heavier bullets for the 7prc not huge and no game will no difference but it is a better cartridge in all respects.

Originally Posted by Big Bore
Check out the video on YouTube from HillCountry Rifles. They shoot the 7prc in 20”,22”,&24”. They shoot it at 300,500,800,& 1000 yards. Very very impressive performance.

I have the 6.5prc and love it. Starting to look at the new fierce rogue in 7prc. Seems fairly inexpensive for what you get. I think fierce is trying to compete with less expensive rifles like the. Christensen Ridgeline.

If you like accurate weapons….it’s a great time to be alive!!!!

👍 Definitely think 6.5 prc is best all around 6.5 cartridge
Posted By: James

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 07:22 AM

My son said Daddy we already of the 6.5 and the 300prc, might as well get the 7mm 🤦🏿

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 03:46 PM

Answer:

Unless you are shooting past 1,000 yards at targets.... Nobody cares about anything written so far.

Nobody on this board is shooting animals at 1200 yards. Nobody here is hanging their rifles out a shooting house window and taking a 1200 yard shots... we can start there. That's not happening.

So who cares if you can shoot a 175 grain bullet a little better, allegedly, past 1,000 vs. a 7 Mag? These 2 are not the heavy hitters in 7mm either way.

You say BUT Goat..... it burns less powder! ... OR it's more accurate.... Who gives a damn. I don't care about powder if I did I would be shooting as much as I do in the first place. More accurate?... what a joke. Says who? And what does "inherently accurate" even mean? It all depends on the gun and shooter, the wind the air temps, your reloading ability.

BUT - It's a short action or more efficient from a shorter barrel... should we all care now? Nope. I'm not into lightweight rifles I have no fantasy there whatsoever.

No Belt? Nope. Don't care.

We can go on.

Don't hate on the 7mm PRC I like it personally... I am already shooting it. It's fine. I'm not peeing all over myself over it. It's something that fits a niche. It's all marketing from there. I'll get tired of it and get another barrel in the next "groundbreaking" cartridge next month.

I would not trade a 160 Sierra Gameking out of a 7 Mag for whitetails... for any bullet on the planet. From 0-500 yards I don't need a 170+ grain solution to a problem I don't have. No reason to swap a thing anywhere. If you have problems maybe consider starting there.

The End.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 04:11 PM

The 7mm RM was assigned a lower MAP by SAAMI years ago due to some pressure anomalies with certain bullets with certain powders. The 7 PRC has a higher MAP of 65K psi compared to the 7mm RM MAP of 61 K psi. All of the max loads you listed top out around 60K psi.

It is entirely safe to run higher than SAAMI MAP in the 7mm RM with modern powders. 3000 FPS is easy with 168 gr bullets in a 24" barrel, and 2900+ FPS with 175 gr bullets would be easy.

Yeah but that could be another good reason to not gets 7mag technically it can't be ran hard cause of the possible erratic pressure.or probably shouldn't be ran hard to be safe.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
Answer:

Unless you are shooting past 1,000 yards at targets.... Nobody cares about anything written so far.

Nobody on this board is shooting animals at 1200 yards. Nobody here is hanging their rifles out a shooting house window and taking a 1200 yard shots... we can start there. That's not happening.

So who cares if you can shoot a 175 grain bullet a little better, allegedly, past 1,000 vs. a 7 Mag? These 2 are not the heavy hitters in 7mm either way.

You say BUT Goat..... it burns less powder! ... OR it's more accurate.... Who gives a damn. I don't care about powder if I did I would be shooting as much as I do in the first place. More accurate?... what a joke. Says who? And what does "inherently accurate" even mean? It all depends on the gun and shooter, the wind the air temps, your reloading ability.

BUT - It's a short action or more efficient from a shorter barrel... should we all care now? Nope. I'm not into lightweight rifles I have no fantasy there whatsoever.

We can go on.

Don't hate on the 7mm PRC I like it personally... I am already shooting it. It's fine. I'm not peeing all over myself over it. It's something that fits a niche. It's all marketing from there. I'll get tired of it and get another barrel in the next "groundbreaking" cartridge next month.

I would not trade a 160 Sierra Gameking out of a 7 Mag for whitetails... for any bullet on the planet. From 0-500 yards I don't need a 170+ grain solution to a problem I don't have. No reason to swap a thing anywhere. If you have problems maybe consider starting there.

The End.

Yeah I don't care about lightweights either.yeah if I had a 7mag it not be as appealing

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 04:19 PM

Who on here actually shoots a 7 Mag?

I can easily get 3,000+ with 160 Partition or SGK all day long..... That's pretty standard table fare IMO. There are 6 powders in the Nosler manual alone that will get you there just based on the book data.

175's are the true 3k territory IMO.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 06:05 PM

Goat, always love it when you chime in. 3% always like keeping it interesting but there may be those on here that do not know a lot about the guns and I felt led to chime in.

It is easy to get 3000+ in a 7 mag but I personally do not use a 7 mag at this time. I however have one. My current go to calibers are vastly different. A 25-06 and a 28 nosler. I could be wrong but from what I can tell the 28 nosler is still superior to the PRC.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 06:38 PM

Yeah but that could be another good reason to not gets 7mag technically it can't be ran hard cause of the possible erratic pressure.or probably shouldn't be ran hard to be safe.

The pressure issues were isolated to just one powder when combined with a certain bullet, but it was enough that SAAMI reduced the MAP to 61 K. But running it up to 65K ain't hard and completely safe. The 243 Winchester, which coincidentally has a case capacity/bore ratio almost identical to the 7 mm RM, had the same issues and was also limited to 61K psi.

If you only limited your 7x57 to what the reloading guides give you it would be absolutely anemic. But its easy to get 2900+ FPS with 140 gr bullets in the old cartridge if you want.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 06:58 PM

Goat, always love it when you chime in. 3% always like keeping it interesting but there may be those on here that do not know a lot about the guns and I felt led to chime in.

It is easy to get 3000+ in a 7 mag but I personally do not use a 7 mag at this time. I however have one. My current go to calibers are vastly different. A 25-06 and a 28 nosler. I could be wrong but from what I can tell the 28 nosler is still superior to the PRC.

Yeah it is 28nosler is a little more stout.that would be a fun one also to have

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by James
My son said Daddy we already of the 6.5 and the 300prc, might as well get the 7mm 🤦🏿

Daaaaang so you got them lazzeronni rifles and prc's .sweet

Re: 7mm prc - 01/25/23 10:35 PM

Answer:

We can go on.

The End.

Goat. What rifle did you buy yours in? I am looking and want to see what others have gotten. Industry has already jumped all over this caliber and guns are readily available.

What did you get?

Re: 7mm prc - 01/26/23 02:45 PM

I don't buy a rifle for every caliber.... I had 1-2 of those Fugly Savage actions I just lost in a canoe accident... in a chassis..... and I just buy barrels. Switch them at the house. That's how I'm shooting all this stuff I could never afford a separate rifle in all these calibers.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/26/23 03:33 PM

I don't buy a rifle for every caliber.... I had 1-2 of those Fugly Savage actions I just lost in a canoe accident... in a chassis..... and I just buy barrels. Switch them at the house. That's how I'm shooting all this stuff I could never afford a separate rifle in all these calibers.

So you used one gun and would swap out barrels? Wouldn’t you have to re-site in your gun for every different barrel in each different caliber when you swapped them out??? That seems like a complete pain in the ass! Was the 7prc a savage barrel?

Re: 7mm prc - 01/26/23 06:54 PM

Shouldered Barrels or prefits with barrel nut?
Posted By: riflenut

Re: 7mm prc - 01/26/23 07:31 PM

I may be wrong, but if he's using a Savage action, he's probably using a barrel nut and go/no go gauges. Pretty easy to do once you buy a couple tools.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/26/23 08:37 PM

That's all I am doing to swap barrels... I actually have a milling machine at the house and use the vise. If you have a quality vice and solid workbench there is really nothing to swapping the barrel.

Having to sight back in is not an issue.... playing with new cartridges is essentially all I do with these rifles and why I am intentionally setup this way. I hunt with something else these are not hunting rifles.

Sometimes you gotta buy the reamer/gauge. That's about it.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/26/23 10:32 PM

Gotcha. I learned something new today. Thanks.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/27/23 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by riflenut
I may be wrong, but if he's using a Savage action, he's probably using a barrel nut and go/no go gauges. Pretty easy to do once you buy a couple tools.

Yeah but you can get barrels shouldered and not use the barrel nut.wondered was he doing that to skip setting headspace each time you install a different barrel.torque to spec and headspace should stay same I would think

Re: 7mm prc - 01/27/23 03:56 PM

This is how you do it right here:

Criterion Barrels Savage Pre-Fit Barrel Installation Instructions

It's real easy. Takes me longer to pull the action and get setup to do the swap. If you start getting custom reamers and gauges made for cartridges that don't exist it can get pricey but honestly just about everything you can imagine or think of has already been done. A lot of times I am able to work out splitting that cost up with others and coordinate that through people I know personally, barrel makers or a gunsmith.

Pretty much anything you come up with that you think has never been done before... It's been done. That's my experience. You might make a tweak but it effectively already exists.

Standard Calibers are obviously a no-brainer and you can purchase or borrow about anything you would ever need. I just borrow a lot of the reamer/gauges for example.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/28/23 03:28 AM

This is how you do it right here:

Criterion Barrels Savage Pre-Fit Barrel Installation Instructions

It's real easy. Takes me longer to pull the action and get setup to do the swap. If you start getting custom reamers and gauges made for cartridges that don't exist it can get pricey but honestly just about everything you can imagine or think of has already been done. A lot of times I am able to work out splitting that cost up with others and coordinate that through people I know personally, barrel makers or a gunsmith.

Pretty much anything you come up with that you think has never been done before... It's been done. That's my experience. You might make a tweak but it effectively already exists.

Standard Calibers are obviously a no-brainer and you can purchase or borrow about anything you would ever need. I just borrow a lot of the reamer/gauges for example.

Yeah plain Jane barrel swap with barrel nut.you true up your actions or you in the floating bolt head is good enough camp?just wondering if you true up receiver face.ive thought about going this wrought a few times
Posted By: CouchNapper

Re: 7mm prc - 01/28/23 06:00 PM

Answer:

We can go on.

The End.

Love this post Goatkiller - we're friends already and never met. smile LOL!!

Re: 7mm prc - 01/28/23 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by CouchNapper
Answer:

We can go on.

The End.

Love this post Goatkiller - we're friends already and never met. smile LOL!!

Oh so you got 30 different barrels for the same action but you already found the perfect cartridge and bullet weight also? dlhis rant doesn't make sense to me.why do all this barrel swapping for nothing.lmao😜 brilliant (dumb ass)

Re: 7mm prc - 01/30/23 03:13 PM

I don't think action work matters that much on a Savage. Does it help.. probably. How much. No way to really tell IMO. Other things just matter more IMO so unless you are going to compete with the rifle I just wouldn't worry about it that much if I was building a rifle up front.

I'm not a huge Savage fan it's just the system I've got works for me given I mess with 1-2 new cartridges per year and have for decades. With the savage setup you can buy barrels in all kinds of calibers and shoot them with new bullets that have come out and I've done my fair share of wildcat cartridges. Why? it's what I grew up around. I'm not looking for the "holy grail" it's just what I do. You got whitetail rifles and elk rifles... need one for bears. Gotta have a sheep setup. Coyotes need something to make them die ( I suggest .243) , prairie dog trips need another. I thought we were all on the same page with this? grin It's a disease. But this also makes sense for someone who wants 1 rifle and maybe 2-3 barrels to hunt everything from varmints to African Plains Game. It's easily done with 1 custom rifle setup. So IMO there is something to this from that perspective that might work for someone here that isn't interested in wildcat cartridges. There is a practical case to be made as well. Too bad it's got a wart on the end of the bolt! Right?

If you are a 1 cartridge for everything greater than .22 magnum kind of guy there is already a solution..... it's called a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Since 1944 this problem as been solved.

Some folks play golf.... I shoot rifles. Now, if I could just quit turning my canoes over and losing them.....

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 01:00 AM

I don't think action work matters that much on a Savage. Does it help.. probably. How much. No way to really tell IMO. Other things just matter more IMO so unless you are going to compete with the rifle I just wouldn't worry about it that much if I was building a rifle up front.

I'm not a huge Savage fan it's just the system I've got works for me given I mess with 1-2 new cartridges per year and have for decades. With the savage setup you can buy barrels in all kinds of calibers and shoot them with new bullets that have come out and I've done my fair share of wildcat cartridges. Why? it's what I grew up around. I'm not looking for the "holy grail" it's just what I do. You got whitetail rifles and elk rifles... need one for bears. Gotta have a sheep setup. Coyotes need something to make them die ( I suggest .243) , prairie dog trips need another. I thought we were all on the same page with this? grin It's a disease. But this also makes sense for someone who wants 1 rifle and maybe 2-3 barrels to hunt everything from varmints to African Plains Game. It's easily done with 1 custom rifle setup. So IMO there is something to this from that perspective that might work for someone here that isn't interested in wildcat cartridges. There is a practical case to be made as well. Too bad it's got a wart on the end of the bolt! Right?

If you are a 1 cartridge for everything greater than .22 magnum kind of guy there is already a solution..... it's called a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Since 1944 this problem as been solved.

Some folks play golf.... I shoot rifles. Now, if I could just quit turning my canoes over and losing them.....

No trying to pick a side but I must say, when I started reading this thread, I thought GoatKiller was full of crap. But I honestly didn’t realize that swapping barrels that often on a base gun was even a thing! I sure as heck didn’t think that someone would buy all of those barrels just to try out something new. But I also have friends who buy a new set of golf clubs every year!?!? So if this is an addiction for goatkiller or if it is just something he enjoys doing, I say God bless him! Initially I was skeptical just because I didn’t know it was a thing. Seems like he just likes trying things out. I say good for you! Also, he might just have more experience with more calibers than the rest of us???

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 02:14 AM

No trying to pick a side but I must say, when I started reading this thread, I thought GoatKiller was full of crap. But I honestly didn’t realize that swapping barrels that often on a base gun was even a thing! I sure as heck didn’t think that someone would buy all of those barrels just to try out something new. But I also have friends who buy a new set of golf clubs every year!?!? So if this is an addiction for goatkiller or if it is just something he enjoys doing, I say God bless him! Initially I was skeptical just because I didn’t know it was a thing. Seems like he just likes trying things out. I say good for you! Also, he might just have more experience with more calibers than the rest of us???

Well that's also kinda what I was getting at.he seemed to knocking the standardized things alot of us have come to know about certain cartridges being more desirable harder shoulder angle,no magnum belt,etc. etc. and so on.didnt understand knocking different cartridges but tried so many.small difference in all the cartridges just pointing them out.yeah savage prefits with barrel nut saves a ton of money from the gun smith.heck savage is supposedly selling trued factory rifles now with a nice chassy stock.
I agree with everything everyone posted just making my own observations about the cartridge trying to help OP spend his money 🤑 .he's probably like me and doesn't need help though.lol
Yeah golf balls are good for shooting with bolt action rifles only.useless for anything else
I love shooting and loading for bolt action rifles myself.my first and foremost hobby.
I think both of y'all missed what I was getting at.goat killer acted like there was no reason to shoot something without a belt or what was or should be more inherently accurate.blag blah blah.lol
Hell I load 13 different cartridges myself.seemed he was knocking trying different crap but had all kinds of crap.i think we all like to argue about the same damn thing

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 02:48 AM

There are many actions better than a savage you can have different caliber barrels turned for and switch between them they are called switch barrel rifles. If you want to change between bolt face sizes you can buy different bolts. I change my own barrels out all you need is a barrel vice and a rear entry action wrench. I don't even take my action out of the stock. If you have a Remington action you can get a remage barrel it sets headspace like a savage. I know several gunsmiths that make some great remage kits.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 02:49 AM

I'll start a barrel cleaning and break in thread here soon.😜
On a serious note I did start using something much better and cheaper than kroil for y'all fellers who like to clean your barrels.
It's called FREE ALL penatrating oil thank me later.use it same way you would kroil.
Can be found at alot of auto parts stores and amazon
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 04:23 AM

I switch barrels on a Rem 700 between a 6 creed for hunting and a 6GT for target shooting in the off season.

The 6 creed kills them just fine inside of 500 yards and the 6GT rings steel well at twice that distance.

7 PRC would be a fine long range hunting cartridge.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 05:33 AM

On a serious note I did start using something much better and cheaper than kroil for y'all fellers who like to clean your barrels.
It's called FREE ALL penatrating oil thank me later.use it same way you would kroil.

Just ordered a can off Amazon.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 05:48 AM

GM top engine cleaner was what everyone used back in the day until they changed the formula I still use kroil for the first and last patch tho

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 06:29 AM

Just ordered a can off Amazon.

It has a chemical in it that breaks down nitrocellulose which is main ingredient in gun powder and it's a penatrating oil like kroil.got the idea off a very extensive video in accurate shooter and used it on two rifles that had some hard carbon fouling and was very impressed.short of using abrasive stuff like iosso,JB or flitz it works great especially if left soaking in barrel a few days.

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1bamashooter

GM top engine cleaner was what everyone used back in the day until they changed the formula I still use kroil for the first and last patch tho

Yep.im seeing folks are using CLR and all kinds of crap now.even Erik cortina is using CLR from what I've seen unless I'm confusing that with something similar.seems the new standard is this free all followed with bore tech eliminator.shooting in the wind guy has a decent vid on this.luckily only my chromoly barrels are stubborn.they might turn into nice hand lapped stainless barrels soon if they don't behave though.maybe a f class f t/r dannely precision build!still gotta get that figured out.its a700 I'm a little frustrated with.
I'm sure you know a lot more about cleaning and fire cracking and all that mess than I do though with your round counts down barrels

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 07:41 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 7mm prc - 01/31/23 11:17 PM

The positive for using a Savage action over another option is that you can get the barrels inexpensive and everyone makes a Savage barrel. There are other options but the most cost effective is a Savage. You also just change bolt head. Stupid simple and cheapest option. Not best option. Cheaper.

Why would a person buy barrels and play with different calibers as a hobby? .... think articles you read back in 1982 in Guns&Ammo were written by someone. Someone still writes for those same print rags today. Someone with a family and maybe they've got kids and grandkids at this point. Well I was the kid in that family portrait from 1982. Started reloading on my own when I was around 7-8 years old. I kept running out of .38 specials in the summer when my Dad was at work. I had to figure out how to make some more instead of waiting until he got home.

Re: 7mm prc - 02/01/23 05:48 AM

The positive for using a Savage action over another option is that you can get the barrels inexpensive and everyone makes a Savage barrel. There are other options but the most cost effective is a Savage. You also just change bolt head. Stupid simple and cheapest option. Not best option. Cheaper.

Why would a person buy barrels and play with different calibers as a hobby? .... think articles you read back in 1982 in Guns&Ammo were written by someone. Someone still writes for those same print rags today. Someone with a family and maybe they've got kids and grandkids at this point. Well I was the kid in that family portrait from 1982. Started reloading on my own when I was around 7-8 years old. I kept running out of .38 specials in the summer when my Dad was at work. I had to figure out how to make some more instead of waiting until he got home.

Damn GK. That’s cool man! Funny how much things have changed. Growing up, my best friends Dad was an FBI agent. He had tons of 38 special ammo in coffee cans. We would take our revolvers out and burn through that stuff like it was free. Never wore hearing protection, that’s why I am about deaf! My boys are great outdoorsmen. My oldest son really taking off in his quest to kill big bucks! Since they were little I have amazed them with my shooting skills with everything from rifles, pistols, shotguns, and archery. I would blow them away. Now that they are grown, I still blow them away. I try to explain to them that they will never have the opportunity to do the things I did. The world has just changed. They played sports all day every day from the time they were 5 through high school. I on the other hand was out trying to kill doves and squirrels with a pellet gun at 50 yards. I had to learn how to shoot. When my Dad would take me dove hunting, he would give me one box of shells and expect me to shoot a limit with that one box! My Dad and my best friend and I would go to the lake house and shoot pistols and our targets were literally bottle caps sometimes back then. The sheer volume of shots I have fired from about every weapon you can imagine is unreal! But that stuff sticks with you. Can I still shoot as good as I did when I was 25? No, because I don’t shoot nearly as much as I did in my youth. But when it comes to a shotgun, a pistol, and a bow, I am 95% instinctive in shooting. It just happens on its own.

Sounds like you had a similar upbringing. I hope before too long, I will be able to retire with good health and be able to shoot again as much as I did when I was a teenager!!!

Re: 7mm prc - 02/01/23 12:43 PM

Damn GK. That’s cool man! Funny how much things have changed. Growing up, my best friends Dad was an FBI agent. He had tons of 38 special ammo in coffee cans. We would take our revolvers out and burn through that stuff like it was free. Never wore hearing protection, that’s why I am about deaf! My boys are great outdoorsmen. My oldest son really taking off in his quest to kill big bucks! Since they were little I have amazed them with my shooting skills with everything from rifles, pistols, shotguns, and archery. I would blow them away. Now that they are grown, I still blow them away. I try to explain to them that they will never have the opportunity to do the things I did. The world has just changed. They played sports all day every day from the time they were 5 through high school. I on the other hand was out trying to kill doves and squirrels with a pellet gun at 50 yards. I had to learn how to shoot. When my Dad would take me dove hunting, he would give me one box of shells and expect me to shoot a limit with that one box! My Dad and my best friend and I would go to the lake house and shoot pistols and our targets were literally bottle caps sometimes back then. The sheer volume of shots I have fired from about every weapon you can imagine is unreal! But that stuff sticks with you. Can I still shoot as good as I did when I was 25? No, because I don’t shoot nearly as much as I did in my youth. But when it comes to a shotgun, a pistol, and a bow, I am 95% instinctive in shooting. It just happens on its own.

Sounds like you had a similar upbringing. I hope before too long, I will be able to retire with good health and be able to shoot again as much as I did when I was a teenager!!!

I've been on the dove field with Big Bore a few times.

It is a humbling experience.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM