Aldeer.com

Do I trash my scope ring?

Posted By: Dazzler

Do I trash my scope ring? - 02/09/22 04:53 PM

Have a set of Leupold dovetail rings. Never having dealt with them before, I proceeded to install them. Bottom line I used the wrong item to get them on causing a couple of small burrs on the edge of one of the rings. I didn’t get them on btw.

Once I realized the force required I stopped. It doesn’t look like much damage, but I’m pretty sure it would be an issue torqued down on an aluminum tube. I’ve been using a ceramic rod to work it down. It feels good now, but there is a sliver of finish that’s been removed from the ring.

Not sure where to go from here. I’d like to test it to be sure its not going to mark up my scope. I feel like I need to repair the finish somehow.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated including trash the rings and start over.
Posted By: XVIII

Re: Do I trash my scope ring? - 02/09/22 04:59 PM

if it's just a sliver of finish, i wouldn't worry with and go ahead and mount. that's better than a burr biting into the scope.

could always 1.) trash them and start over if $25 rings 2.) try on another lesser value scope of the same tube dia if you have

Re: Do I trash my scope ring? - 02/09/22 06:00 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RvmxTXGShrJZNQWC8

Can’t figure out how to add pictures to the message
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Do I trash my scope ring? - 02/09/22 06:07 PM

Depending on what you did you could maybe lap them and get it out which don't hurt them anyway to lap
Posted By: BPI

Re: Do I trash my scope ring? - 02/09/22 06:11 PM

Dremmel or file the outer edge lightly and install. Just don't over toque.

Re: Do I trash my scope ring? - 02/09/22 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
Depending on what you did you could maybe lap them and get it out which don't hurt them anyway to lap

I have a wheeler alignment bars from amazon arriving tomorrow. I'll give it a try.

Originally Posted by BPI
Dremmel or file the outer edge lightly and install. Just don't over toque.

I've been using a ceramic rod from a knife sharpener to work the edge. Seems to be working.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM