Posted By: BPI

Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 06:39 PM

Is it just a Game King with a tip ?

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 08:06 PM

Nobody has used any ?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 08:44 PM

I’ve shot the GameChanger 90 & 100gr in 6mm Creedmoor and the 165gr 308. Both were factory loads from HSM, accuracy was great performance was as to be expected from Sierra hunting bullets. Wish I could find a reliable source, those 100gr are hard to come by. BH2 has ‘em all stockpiled. 😃

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 08:44 PM

And yes … it is a tipped GameKing
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC

I'm not so sure. They appear to have more of a Secant ogive and VLD boattail design than the traditional tangent ogive of the lead tipped game kings.

I've never shot an animal with one so cant report on that. Initial testing I've done with the 165 gr game changer in my 7mm RM is they have potential for outstanding accuracy.

But until I can find any more in stock I'm not going to bother with further load development on a bullet in may not be able to buy.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

I'm not so sure. They appear to have more of a Secant ogive and VLD boattail design than the traditional tangent ogive of the lead tipped game kings.

I've never shot an animal with one so cant report on that. Initial testing I've done with the 165 gr game changer in my 7mm RM is they have potential for outstanding accuracy.

But until I can find any more in stock I'm not going to bother with further load development on a bullet in may not be able to buy.

You know that’s outside of my pay grade bud. I can’t even spell seekant or tangerine 😃

They probably did change something but Sierra is calling it a TGK on their factory loads. My guns like ‘em whatever they may be. Haven’t shot a deer yet but have turned a couple coyotes inside/out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 09:32 PM

Ogive. I say "OH-Jive" am I wrong?

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by dave260rem!

rofl

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 10:15 PM

Done a little research since the op. Sierra is saying that the term "Tipped Game King" is a little misleading per the article I read which quoted the R & D guy who was in the know at Sierra ( a Mr. Box , I believe) Anyhow, he's saying the jacket is thicker and it does have a more pronounced taper as well. Interesting.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 10:28 PM

AU338 knows his chit! They need to have him writing those articles.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 10:32 PM

I dunno if it's right or wrong but that's how I say it.

The original GK bullets are pretty damn violent on deer so if the TGK will do the same it will be a goodun.

Just wish I could find some in stock. 🤣

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

I dunno if it's right or wrong but that's how I say it.

The original GK bullets are pretty damn violent on deer so if the TGK will do the same it will be a goodun.

Just wish I could find some in stock. 🤣

I am happy it's not a bonded bullet. They are saying it's designed to hold together at reasonable velocities. but still expand rapidly. Kind of like the original G K's.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 11/30/21 11:05 PM

AU338 knows his chit! They need to have him writing those articles.

I know dat's riiett.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 12:19 AM

He's busy getting his resume for the AU OC job.

Or he's in rehab for his bias against sub .30 calibers.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 12:33 AM

I have a box of 165s I need to load for my 308. Being Sierras Im pretty confident they’ll perform well.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 01:08 AM

He's busy getting his resume for the AU OC job.

Or he's in rehab for his bias against sub .30 calibers.

lol
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 01:13 AM

I couldn’t stand the performance of game kings in my 25-06 so much, I never cared to try them in any other caliber.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 03:19 PM

I don't like them in a .25-06 either. Just not a heavy enough bullet at the velocity for my taste. I liked Noslers in that caliber 115 Partition or 110 Accubonds work very well.

Sierra bullets are accurate. The Gamechanger is just something their marketing department came up with to sell some product. When you make the same bullets you have been making since 1947 and they still work just like they always have. What else are you going to do?

"Hi there.. here's a box of your granddad's bullets. Yep. Still accurate as hell. Yep. Still kill the chit outa whatever."

I mean.... does that sell on Facebook? Ought to if it don't.... but we all know the routine.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 03:53 PM

Do a little research Goat. and you'll see they are not the same as a Game King. The marketing ploy was to ride the coattails of the Game king through name recognition. It seems to have worked.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 04:00 PM

I was not implying they are the same only that this might fit into the category.... trying to fix something that ain't broke. But I get it from the company's perspective.... why would you not try to improve your product?

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

I was not implying they are the same only that this might fit into the category.... trying to fix something that ain't broke. But I get it from the company's perspective.... why would you not try to improve your product?

It seems to be more of a long range shooter angle from what I'm reading.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 04:49 PM

Trying to get some of that ELD-X crowd back from Hornady

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
I don't like them in a .25-06 either. Just not a heavy enough bullet at the velocity for my taste. I liked Noslers in that caliber 115 Partition or 110 Accubonds work very well.

Sierra bullets are accurate. The Gamechanger is just something their marketing department came up with to sell some product. When you make the same bullets you have been making since 1947 and they still work just like they always have. What else are you going to do?

"Hi there.. here's a box of your granddad's bullets. Yep. Still accurate as hell. Yep. Still kill the chit outa whatever."

I mean.... does that sell on Facebook? Ought to if it don't.... but we all know the routine.

Yeah, I moved on to the 110 grain Accubonds and have been happy with them. Heck, I had better performance with 120 grain Cor lokts than the GKs.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/01/21 07:42 PM

Trying to get some of that ELD-X crowd back from Hornady

I think you're on it.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/02/21 02:26 AM

I push 130s hard in a 6.5 PRC, crazy accurate load. On game performance has been good. 3 big bodied bucks, 2 drt and 1 with a 25 yard death run. Didn’t get exits from any which is a little concerning but when they fall in sight it’s not necessary. I recovered all 3 bullets, all 3 shed about 1/2 it’s weight. 2 of the impacts were at about 75 yards, 1 at 125. I really like em and would recommend but probably opt for something tougher in the really fast stuff.
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/03/21 02:26 PM

GameChangers are the ultimate Whitetail bullet in my opinion if the shoot well in your rifle. They are an extremely tough cup and core bullet. I’ve had pass throughs on whitetails from 60-436 yards using a 90-gr in the 6CM.

Since a pic is worth a thousand words, see below. Shot into water jugs and recovered. Water jugs are much harder on bullets than typical shots on whitetails. For reference, the 105 BTHP shown below will exit whitetails when shot broadside behind the shoulders.

Impact velocity is about 75 fps less than what’s listed below. I loaded these down to simulate impact velocities at ~150 yards and shot them into jugs at 30 yards.

The other number listed is retained bullet weight. The 95gr ballistic tip was actually designed extremely tough for elk hunting and has proven itself over the years. You can see the gamechanger performs similarly but with a much superior BC.

The Eld-X that so many rave about, isn’t nearly as tough as the Gamechanger.

I’m currently shooting the 100gr gamechanger sub half-moa in a 6CM at 3100 fps.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Below is the 90gr 6mm recovered from the hip of a 125# doe that was shot facing me at 40 yards. Expanded to 1/2” diameter and mostly held together. I think retained weight was around 70%.

[Linked Image]

Exit hole at 100 yards
[Linked Image]

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/03/21 02:31 PM

Good info on the Gamechanger Bh2. I'm going to give them a whirl in 6.5 Creed.
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/03/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by BPI
Good info on the Gamechanger Bh2. I'm going to give them a whirl in 6.5 Creed.

👍🏼 It’s hard to find a bad bullet for 6.5CM velocities.

Impact velocities north of 3K fps separate the good bullets from the bad, literally😁.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/03/21 02:56 PM

I'll be working up a load for a 25-06 build early next year when the rifle gets finished and it looks like I will be working up a few with the Game changers.

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/04/21 12:09 AM

I’ve always heard good things about the 95 grain NBT. That pic would definitely make me want to try them. That or the 90 grain ABs would be my choice.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Somebody school me on the Sierra Gamechanger - 12/04/21 03:07 AM

I bought some .264 130gr game changers over a year ago along with some reloader 16 for 260 Remington but have yet to try them but have put down a few deer very impressively with Sierra game Kings in 7x57 mauser and 308
© 2024 ALDEER.COM