Aldeer.com

Hornady custom ammo help

Posted By: BCD

Hornady custom ammo help - 10/06/21 05:59 PM

Need some help gents. I have been shooting the Hornady Custom 150 grain SST for some years now out of my 30.06. I am down to less than 10 rounds left and still can’t find any. Any of you found any? If not what have you gone to that preforms as well as this round does. Hate really to change, my 700 preformed great with this round.
Any advise here would be great.

Thanks all
Posted By: James

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/06/21 06:06 PM

Pretty sure it's discontinued (for now anyways) might be time to swap.

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/06/21 06:14 PM

That’s what I was thinking James. Just not real sure what to swap to
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/06/21 10:34 PM

Look on gunbroker
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/06/21 11:02 PM

I never saw any thing wrong with Winchester super x 150gr sp. They always done a great job for me
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 12:26 AM

The big problem is finding any name brand 30-06 ammo

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stoney
The big problem is finding any name brand 30-06 ammo

This is correct. Went to BPS earlier and they had nothing.

For some reason those Winchester don’t group well with this gun.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 02:03 AM

Core Lokt
Look at sgammo.com daily as well as ammoseek.com

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 02:34 AM

I’ll check it out. Thanks alhawk
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 02:50 AM

Do you reload?

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 02:54 AM

No sir. Wish I did though.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 03:04 AM

Just a thought and might not be available either but Hornady interbond might have same profile and possibly same poi.
They are expensive and maybe not available or be same jacket/profile?idk just a thought
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 03:08 AM

Also cheap Remington corlokt bullets shoot great out of alot of rifles and been killing deer real good along time
Posted By: Mennen34

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 03:48 AM

I have the same exact problem you have. Same gun, same ammo. It was weird, felt like I was reading my own post on here haha. I have posted on year a few times over the years looking for the exact thing and have been lucky enough to buy a few boxes from the generous members here. It is nearly impossible to find, but last year I did see a few crazy expensive boxes while searching the internet. Not 100% sure what website it was though. I currently have 3 boxes that I hope will last me a long time. Good luck, in my opinion the best deer killing ammo ever made. Drops Em dead every time.

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mennen34
I have the same exact problem you have. Same gun, same ammo. It was weird, felt like I was reading my own post on here haha. I have posted on year a few times over the years looking for the exact thing and have been lucky enough to buy a few boxes from the generous members here. It is nearly impossible to find, but last year I did see a few crazy expensive boxes while searching the internet. Not 100% sure what website it was though. I currently have 3 boxes that I hope will last me a long time. Good luck, in my opinion the best deer killing ammo ever made. Drops Em dead every time.

Absolutely correct.
Glad I’m not the only one that can’t find them.
Thanks.

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by 3% outdoorsman
Just a thought and might not be available either but Hornady interbond might have same profile and possibly same poi.
They are expensive and maybe not available or be same jacket/profile?idk just a thought

Haven’t had much luck finding these either. Was thinking the same thing.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/07/21 11:55 PM

You can load hunting ammo with a minimum of equipment and components. I started loading when I got my 280 in the early 90s. 280 ammo wasn’t so common then. 154g SST and RL-19 or IMR4350 makes for a very satisfying shooting experience.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/08/21 12:47 AM

Mennen/BCD you two should get presses&dies. The 280 & Imr4350 are like milk&cookies. Yes primers are high but getting less scarce.

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/08/21 02:07 AM

It’s sure looking that way.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/08/21 04:10 AM

I have some 150 grain SST bullets but they're useless if you don't reload.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/18/21 06:15 PM

i would look at corelokts, if none available, I would try them Norma shells thats been popping up everywhere.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/27/21 05:30 PM

Midway has core lokts in 165 right now. Not the 150 you were looking for, but if you really need something
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001785234?pid=208588

They are now gone
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/27/21 07:06 PM

You can give up on finding any Hornady Custom in any of the standard calibers. 270, 30-06, 7MM, .300 Win. etc unless you find a box stuffed way back on the shelf at some hole in the wall place, since they are no longer making it in any of those. Looking at the Hornady website, it looks to me like the only calibers they are still making the Custom ammo in are in the low volume less mainstream popular calibers. Probably a situation where they have the line tooled for it but havent gotten the volume through it to pay for the tooling yet based solely on the random calibers that it is still being produced in.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/27/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by abolt300
You can give up on finding any Hornady Custom in any of the standard calibers. 270, 30-06, 7MM, .300 Win. etc unless you find a box stuffed way back on the shelf at some hole in the wall place, since they are no longer making it in any of those. Looking at the Hornady website, it looks to me like the only calibers they are still making the Custom ammo in are in the low volume less mainstream popular calibers. Probably a situation where they have the line tooled for it but havent gotten the volume through it to pay for the tooling yet based solely on the random calibers that it is still being produced in.

If you'll pop in frequently at an Academy you may get lucky. I found some Hornady Super performance 165 grain SST's in 30-06 at my local store last week.
Posted By: Sgt_mike

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/27/21 09:42 PM

I ordered 2 boxes of Remington 180 core-locks from MidwayUSA, primers do not match, some are silver others brass colored, numerous rounds have dings in the brass. No return, told to call Remington

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/27/21 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by BPI

If you'll pop in frequently at an Academy you may get lucky. I found some Hornady Super performance 165 grain SST's in 30-06 at my local store last week.

Ours done at carry much 30-06 at all for some reason.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/28/21 01:04 AM

150 gr Federal blue box have shot well in every gun I have used them In. Just a thought
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/28/21 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
150 gr Federal blue box have shot well in every gun I have used them In. Just a thought

x2…
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/28/21 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by BPI

Yeah, they are still making superformance, precision hunter, American whitetail, etc in those calibers but they have dropped the “custom” line that the OP was asking about.

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/28/21 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by BPI

Yeah, they are still making superformance, precision hunter, American whitetail, etc in those calibers but they have dropped the “custom” line that the OP was asking about.

I'm glad I have a life time supply of 154gr 7mag

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/28/21 11:43 AM

I’m kicking myself for not buying every box I could find. But had no idea they would stop making these.

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/28/21 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by BCD
I’m kicking myself for not buying every box I could find. But had no idea they would stop making these.

Over the last 10 years or so been a lot of ammo has been discontinued .

Re: Hornady custom ammo help - 10/29/21 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie
Originally Posted by BCD

Over the last 10 years or so been a lot of ammo has been discontinued .

True that. I screwed up for sure.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM