Aldeer.com

What tractor do I need?

Posted By: QDMAV8R

What tractor do I need? - 06/12/21 01:46 PM

Looks like I’m about to be in the compact/utility tractor market again. Most of my implements are medium to heavy duty 6 foot models. I need a 4wd tractor with FEL that can handle these and actually do some dirt work too. What do the Aldeer tractor gurus recommend?
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/12/21 01:58 PM

Kubota MX6000, HST

Get a grapple and a tooth bucket
Posted By: hamma

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/12/21 02:35 PM

If your using 6' Implements, I'd recommend at least 40Hp & most importantly ,without all the Emission garbage on it..
Posted By: 300gr

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/13/21 12:31 AM

Kubota m7060
Posted By: k bush

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/13/21 12:39 AM

I think Mahindra is the only tier 4 that doesnt use DEF. Otherwise your're looking at 2012 or earlier. If you're mostly in open fields cabs are nice. I stay in tight places/woods roads too much and prefer an open station.

60 HP 4WD with loader and grapple. Personally I'd avoid the Deere E series. What dealer with a good service/parts department is the closest ? Thats what I'd choose.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/13/21 02:37 PM

Kubota MX6000 does not use DEF. It does have a DPF, and will do a regen, but if you are running over 2300 RPM, you will never know it happened unless you see the light come on/off. Performance is not impacted.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/13/21 05:25 PM

Definitely an open station. I currently have two older 40+HP two wheel drive tractors:2001 Mahindra 4500 and 196x Ford 3000. Both run strong, but each have their limitations and are less reliable than they used to be. Neither hav a FEL and that’s something I’ve needed for a while.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/13/21 05:36 PM

I wish Kubota would offer the shuttle shift in the L and MX series tractors.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

I can't imagine why anyone would want a shuttle over a hydrostatic drive, especially for loader work. Maybe they never drove one?. That's why I bought an MX instead of an M. MX6000 is the largest hydrostatic drive tractor that Kubota makes.

I've put over 50 hours on mine in the 5 weeks I have had it, and I took two fishing vacations since it got here. You couldn't whip my ass hard enough to make me swap to anything other than a hydrostatic drive.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by UncleHuck

I can't imagine why anyone would want a shuttle over a hydrostatic drive, especially for loader work. Maybe they never drove one?. That's why I bought an MX instead of an M. MX6000 is the largest hydrostatic drive tractor that Kubota makes.

I've put over 50 hours on mine in the 5 weeks I have had it, and I took two fishing vacations since it got here. You couldn't whip my ass hard enough to make me swap to anything other than a hydrostatic drive.

Because it would be better than their current offering.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 01:38 AM

Mahindra

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 02:37 AM

How is a shuttle better than hydro?
Posted By: jake5050

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 02:40 AM

I second hydrostatic man they're nice

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 03:48 AM

How is a shuttle better than hydro?

I’m talking about the manual transmission option.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 03:56 AM

Understand that, but I still question why you (or anyone, frankly) wouldn't go for a hydrostatic drive.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 04:10 AM

I like it better.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 06:34 AM

The whine and power loss from hydrostatic is why i wouldnt have one.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 09:24 AM

OP you may want to look at the L4701 Kubota
It does not have DEF but does regen which is no problem at all
Mine does not have the HS...it has clutch/manual trans and I love it
Been running this tractor for 4 years and not one minute of trouble
The L4701 has the M series frame and is the largest in the L series with 47 HP
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 300gr
Kubota m7060

Yes sir
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by twaldrop4

Yep. The hydro-whine, especially on larger tractors, I find quite annoying. I can always tell when my uncle in law is doing work because I can hear the whine before I can hear the tractor engine.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 12:52 PM

A JD 5205 or similar in a used machine would be good. They're pre Def, pre computer machines. I have a 03, 5205, 4x4 with loader, it's a great utility tractor.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by twaldrop4

Hydro is probably nice for dirt work, but the power loss to the PTO is really significant. Shuttle to me seems like a better compromise. I have always had manual trans and trust the reliability more than the others.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 07:15 PM

What kind of dirt work are we talking about here are we trying to dig holes with the bucket or are we grading a driveway here?

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 08:14 PM

To me, dirt work means digging and/or pushing trees. Hydro is magnificent for that.

Only PTO work I currently do is with the tiller or an auger.

If I was only grading a driveway, or planting row crops, then manual or shuttle might be fine.

I think power loss is more a perception or a holdover from older units. My MX6000 has 59.5 HP net, and 51.7 PTO. That's 7.8 HP loss, 13.1%.

Closest shuttle is the M6060, with 63.5 HP net, and 56 PTO. That's 7.5 HP loss, 11.8%.

0.3 HP / 1.3% PTO difference ain't much, and I doubt that you could ever realize it at the implement. Most stuff in that size is rated for 40-60 HP anyway, and if it's spinning 540 RPM, then it will do what it's supposed to do.

I am aware of the noise/whine of the hydro pump, but it doesn't bother me.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/14/21 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
What kind of dirt work are we talking about here are we trying to dig holes with the bucket or are we grading a driveway here?

Dirt work:
Mostly landscape build up, grading, terrace removal, and water control measures.

How’s the reliability and maintenance on the Hydro???
The lawnmowers I’ve had with hydro static trans have been servo hogs, especially if you don’t keep those filters changed regularly. Seems like they are very heat sensitive.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/15/21 12:30 AM

We have a 23 hp Kubota Hydro that has been in service since 2012. Zero maintenance issues, just fluid and filter changes, and it has been worked hard. Not abused, but definitely used. I have also had numerous Kubota and other maker tractor techs tell me the hydros are very reliable.

I think every skid steer and mini ex that Kubota makes is hydro. Not sure about other brands, but Kubota seems to have it figured out. I rented a KX040 mini ex memorial day weekend. 1500 rental hours, and it ran like a dream.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/15/21 02:08 AM

Go bigger than u think u wont be disappointed

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/15/21 02:47 AM

I have a little JD tractor that is hydro and for loader work it really doesn't get any better. On the dirt moving... If I were going to be doing a lot of landscaping type work or loader work that's what I would want. That's pretty much what I use mine for and I've got 5 machines right now with 4 different shifting configurations and other loader tractors.

If I were going to spend more time mowing roads and that type work I would want something else. Hydro ain't great for distances it's better suited to chore type work. If you think about it that's the reason why bigger machines don't come with hyrdro drive. I've owned 2 and both were completely reliable in my opinion. But these are not what y'all would consider "New" tractors.

No way in cornbread hell I'd buy a NEW anything. I'd start looking about 2012 and back in year model and focus on engine hours more than anything. Just try to get a good clean low hour machine. They are out there.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/15/21 12:53 PM

Thanks guys...sounds like sage advice from all.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/15/21 02:29 PM

No way in cornbread hell I'd buy a NEW anything. I'd start looking about 2012 and back in year model and focus on engine hours more than anything. Just try to get a good clean low hour machine. They are out there.

Personal choice, but it doesn't seem like anyone ever sells a tractor that they are happy with. Buying used always seems like a gamble to me, unless you are buying from a trusted friend.

I bought new for that exact reason. Nothing I hate more than working on a tool when I need to be using said tool. Doesn't matter if it's a weedeater, chainsaw, or tractor.

Finance rates are much better on new also. I got to leave my money where it's making money and use someone else's money for the purchase.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/15/21 04:55 PM

I don't understand why everyone thinks they will be working on a tractor instead of using it.... if they buy a used machine.

What are y'all talking about? Seriously. I've never experienced that and I have owned myself probably 25-30 different tractors in my lifetime of all vintages and makes and models and horsepower.

If you want to blame it on the machine you bought/inherited a true POS from somewhere... and should be able to recognize what you are dealing with. If you have owned an older tractor that wasn't reliable that's on you. That's not the machine's fault. Don't buy something that's was wore out before it was used in a hay operation.

Plenty of good low hour nice equipment out there and prices are rising and they are selling at a premium for good reason.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/15/21 08:11 PM

I don't understand why everyone thinks they will be working on a tractor instead of using it.... if they buy a used machine.

What are y'all talking about? Seriously. I've never experienced that and I have owned myself probably 25-30 different tractors in my lifetime of all vintages and makes and models and horsepower.

If you want to blame it on the machine you bought/inherited a true POS from somewhere... and should be able to recognize what you are dealing with. If you have owned an older tractor that wasn't reliable that's on you. That's not the machine's fault. Don't buy something that's was wore out before it was used in a hay operation.

Plenty of good low hour nice equipment out there and prices are rising and they are selling at a premium for good reason.

Could be true, but I know several people who have waited days to weeks for a part for an older tractor. Then they get the part, and it's not the right part, because it got substituted 25 years ago when there was a shortage. One friend finally got the correct part for his Massey on the 4th try.

Starters, water pumps, injector pumps just don't last forever. Not terribly expensive to fix, just frustrating for me personally to have to wait or work on something that I want to be using.
Posted By: globe

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/15/21 08:21 PM

I have an 02 Kubota with a hydrostatic transmission and it’s been flawless, but they are slower if you travel much, and the high gear bogs down on any grade much. I’m not afraid of them at all, and hands down the best for loader work. You can keep one hand on the wheel and one hand on the loader.
Posted By: hamma

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/15/21 10:30 PM

I'll hang on to my Old dependable Pre Emission Tractor... Better believe all that fancy new Regin/DEF garbage can be a nightmare as well....

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/16/21 01:35 AM

Parts for older machines are easily attainable off the internet they have come a long way in that regard you can look things up by make and year model on about all the parts warehouse sites , but look... I get it... things break. The difference is an old tractor will still run when about everything on it is broke while a new one will be stranded with 1 loose wire. And that's reality. They key to buying older machines is to know which ones to buy. They didn't necessarily change much about them over several decades. For example a blue Ford smurf tractor is essentially the same machine from the 1960's through the early 1990's when they had New Holland written on the side of them and Napa carries lots of parts for those but you can get anything off the internet for the most part. My experience is that you can get about anything for an older Deere it costs $$ but you won't need to repair it twice what broke likely came on it new.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/16/21 01:58 AM

ID recommend a deere 4960. My all time favorite tractor ever made
Posted By: BCLC

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/16/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Dayummmm what a machine…

[Linked Image]

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/16/21 02:33 AM

I grew up on one from 14-17 yrs old. Lots of hours. Pulling chisel plow. Do all. Disk. Field cultivator. Planter. Power shift was a flawless transmission. Rode great. Even raked hay a few times with it
Posted By: Dublgrumpy

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/16/21 03:32 AM

Go ahead & get a good R model mack with that 4960 purchase. He'll need it for the HC trips. Never the less- a dang fine tractor.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/16/21 03:58 AM

I prefer an RD Mack if going that route

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/16/21 12:34 PM

Just a little overkill for what I’m using a tractor for and it would be heck to get in to my hidey-hole food plots unless I mounted a skidder blade on the front.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/16/21 02:20 PM

I think the next one I get is going to be 7800. I passed on a super clean low hour mfwd 7800 out of Southern Illinois last year dealer took in on trade. Offered it to me at $30k and I think it sold for nearly $45k. I should have bought it I just didn't know what was going to go on with the Wutang Flu. Really kicking myself. I normally would never spend that much on one I tend to deal in the scrap value range.

Good clean low hour equipment is really bringing a premium. D&D Equipment in Centerville, TN usually have a few really clean tractors like you are looking for and prices are usually reasonably in line. Irby Tractor in Vincent down here south of Birmingham also deals in really nice used equipment but his prices are a bit high IMO. But he's got a MX5200 HST for $22k. 1500 hours but on for a good machine that's not hardly getting broke in. Or at least shouldn't be.

Beshears Kubota in Oxford is who we normally deal with on a Kubota for parts and service. Good dealer there even if buying new I'd at least make a phone call and see what they had.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/17/21 01:58 AM

I’ve owned red and blue tractors and am leaning towards something else this go around. Those dang green tractors sure hold their value and if I can find the right one I might have to give them a whirl. Orange will probably be my second choice.
I’ve been looking online at the Vincent dealer. They move a lot of machines.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/17/21 11:23 PM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1542160802680334/permalink/3073399496223116/
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/18/21 02:05 AM

My JD 5200 doesn’t have any of the newer shuttle shift, etc….all gears. Slower for bucket work, but it’s hell for stout in that class….I wouldn’t overlook that 5200/5300/5400, late 90s batch…..it’s far closer to what I grew up driving on farms. I might graduate to newer one day, but it’s simple, and was a good package for the $.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 06/18/21 02:09 AM

Goatkiller if you find a 7800 MFWD in good shape that would be a fine snag.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/23/21 07:48 PM

Finally pulled the trigger on a new Mahindra 5155 4x4 with FEL. It’s a new model that came out late in 2021 to replace the 5555. It’s got 55hp with 45 pto hp, sync shuttle shift 12 speed tranny, 3400 lbs full lift in the bucket, 3950 lbs 3 point lift, air ride adjustable seat, R4 tires, rear remotes, no exhaust stack ( exhaust underneath bottom right of engine). It’s a tank, right at 8000 lbs with the loader. It’s probably a little overkill for what I need on my small property and food plots, but it’s going to be fun. I got a great deal on it too.
Of course it’s no 4960 John Deere, but it’s a pretty stout little tractor.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/23/21 08:40 PM

Very nice rig.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/25/21 03:40 AM

You are going to be very satisfied with your purchase I believe. After owning a mahindra 5570 for 3 years I don't think I’d even consider another brand in the utility tractor market. There’s many benefits that I saw over others and I’ve worked mine pretty good. 440 hours without a hiccup.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/26/21 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
You are going to be very satisfied with your purchase I believe. After owning a mahindra 5570 for 3 years I don't think I’d even consider another brand in the utility tractor market. There’s many benefits that I saw over others and I’ve worked mine pretty good. 440 hours without a hiccup.

Thanks Matt. I contacted the dealers you recommended and while I ultimately didn’t buy from them, they did give me the bargaining power to negotiate a better deal down here with a more local dealer. This tractor was head over heals any other brand in specs for anywhere near its size. And No DEF or DPF Regen! I am well pleased so far.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/26/21 02:52 AM

How did you get it without the emissions crap? I thought everything over 25hp comes with it?
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/26/21 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
How did you get it without the emissions crap? I thought everything over 25hp comes with it?

That's what I thought too.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/26/21 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by jwalker77

That's what I thought too.

Several years ago Mahindra spent over 30 million dollars with their engineers developing a Tier 4 compliant engine that is one of a kind and it appears they succeeded because they’re not having trouble with them and they meet all emission standards.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/26/21 12:20 PM

One of the several reasons I went Mahindra
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/27/21 03:05 AM

You can read in their website how it works..some use particulate filters..some use def fluid and heat..they basically made a fancy catylitic converter..that burns the soot as fast as it comes out..still smells like burnin diesel..an if you bark a turbo it will gouge a little smoke…mahindra has one model that uses def fluid..or did anyway..it was the biggest tractor they make..it is the only one tho..everything under 125hp burns constantly and does not regen. Id also like to tout how powerful these tractors are..even the small ones are eat up with it..the combined power an hydraulic lift on the 1528 i ran for 150hrs worth made me think i was gonna bust hoses left an right..yall shoulda seen the stump i turned up n lifted with that little tractor..i shoulda had my butt kicked for the abuse i put that machine through…mighty little tractor for 34hp..an i can make one do tricks..imagine what a biggin will do🤔

Re: What tractor do I need? - 07/27/21 02:04 PM

This is why I love a 70-80's era tractor. Tractors don't have to be complicated. That's why Mahindra makes good machines. They simply make at least some effort to build it where it won't tear up. And there will always be value in that . That goes for any type of equipment from a dozer to a lawnmower.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: What tractor do I need? - 08/05/21 01:52 PM

Well all I have as a series 1 John deere, but I have driven gear drive tractors. I prefer the hydostatic. Mine even has cruise control.
Posted By: Here4fun

Re: What tractor do I need? - 08/05/21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
One of the several reasons I went Mahindra

I have a 2020 Mahindra 4 x4 with FEL , bush hog and disc and it has been a great tractor so far
Posted By: abolt300

Re: What tractor do I need? - 08/05/21 06:26 PM

what are the low-mid 40s hp, 4wd, FEL, Mahindras bringing new these days. I havent priced a tractor in about 15 yrs and I'm sure the sticker shock will be surprising.

Re: What tractor do I need? - 08/06/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by abolt300
what are the low-mid 40s hp, 4wd, FEL, Mahindras bringing new these days. I havent priced a tractor in about 15 yrs and I'm sure the sticker shock will be surprising.

Not as bad as you’d think. You can likely get one for low $20Ks. That’s a basic gear shift model. The hydros and cabs will be upper $20ks to low $30ks.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: What tractor do I need? - 08/07/21 05:32 AM

I almost bought a 45hp tractor..geared shuttle shift was $22k..that was bout 3 years ago tho..an i made 3 different dealers drop their price several times.. that was the best i got them to..then my uncle let me borrow his an i just didnt fool with it no more
© 2024 ALDEER.COM