Aldeer.com

Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

Posted By: Luxfisher

Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/04/21 01:06 AM

Anyone shoot these? Shot one deer with then in 280,didn't go far but no blood trail, passed through but no blood .
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/04/21 01:11 AM

I shot the years ago when the first came out in a 270. Did the job but I was never really impressed with them. Haven't ever bought them for any other caliber.

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/04/21 01:22 AM

Thanks got 2 box but may change to something else next year.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/04/21 01:48 AM

I tried and did not stick w - not much blood - years ago
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/04/21 02:28 AM

I use to shoot them a bunch. Notorious for DRT as well as no exit or exit and a little blood. I would shy away from them especially if shot out of a higher velocity round. The bullets are bad about not holding together. Plenty of better options available in my opinion.
Posted By: bholmes

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/04/21 08:11 PM

I have never been disappointed with them, shooting from my .270. I have killed 4 deer this season and none took a step. Been shooting them for years.
Posted By: .308

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 12:38 AM

The old Silvertip was my favorite load in my 3030, I hated they changed them.

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 01:36 AM

The old Silvertips were deadly in 270. Don't know why they quit making then,could buy them for $12 a box.
Posted By: Overland

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 01:43 AM

I shoot them in 30.06 in either 150 or 165 grain. The results on deer is DRT. Dropped one hog earlier this year in her tracks. The second one I shot ran a bit, but that was due to a lower hit. When and what changed?
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 02:00 AM

I sort of thought the old (1985) silvertips sucked! I think they made a new model.
Posted By: Rolloverdave

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 02:06 AM

Miss the old ones my favorite 270 round
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 02:06 AM

The current ballistic Silvertips are nothing more than a Nosler Ballistic Tip with a grey plastic tip and black luboox coating.

Made by Nosler and marketed by Winchester.
Posted By: BentBarrel

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
The current ballistic Silvertips are nothing more than a Nosler Ballistic Tip with a grey plastic tip and black luboox coating.

WINNER! Its the loathed, reviled, hated and heathenistic ballistic tip......but with a black coating and a silver tip. Same freakin' bullet the Aldeer bunch has declared worthless, and disparages (perhaps?) as much as the 6.5 CM. BUT....ya gotta hand it to the good marketing by Winchester, Combined Technologies/Nosler.
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 02:40 AM

This...and they are fine deer killers. Sometimes there’s just not a good blood trail regardless of the bullet type.

I’ve tracked several my buddy shot with this exact round in a 280 and the blood trails were excellent.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by BentBarrel

WINNER! Its the loathed, reviled, hated and heathenistic ballistic tip......but with a black coating and a silver tip. Same freakin' bullet the Aldeer bunch has declared worthless, and disparages (perhaps?) as much as the 6.5 CM. BUT....ya gotta hand it to the good marketing by Winchester, Combined Technologies/Nosler.

Wait, I thought they called these expedition something or other....but marketed as accubond.
Posted By: BentBarrel

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 03:19 AM

But then again.....accubonds could be considered ballistic tips, like the SST could be, and the interbond could be. Or the TTSX, or the ELD-X, or the SMK or SGK etc etc etc. They have a plastic/polymer/ballistic tip.

Accubonds are not constructed the same as the NBT. Like the SST isn't constructed the same as the interbond.

Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 04:03 AM

I bought some for my 30:06 but neither my Ruger didn't like them. When I gave my daughter my Savage 30:06 the silvertips went with it. My daughter went to the range and was hitting steel plate at 250yds. It appears the Savage likes Winchester, go figure.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 01:59 PM

I have run them in my 300 win mag for a long time. I usually pin both shoulders. I haven't had to trial too many, but I have just plain missed a few. I like how they have worked. Hunters on these forums can downgrade any bullet ever made, the nuts and bolts comes down to "are you confident in it." Buy a few different bullets and shoot them into plastic milk jugs and wet reams of paper. (Too bad they aren't making the large yellow pages anymore). See what you like the best and where it patterns for your gun. Be confident in your bullet, cartridge and placement, and forget all the rest of us. FYI, hit the right bone, in the right way, and any bullet will deform and look like it didn't function correctly. Personally, I'm not looking for major blood loss, I'm looking for him to go down.
Posted By: globe

Re: Winchester Ballistic Silvertips - 01/05/21 07:11 PM

I like them in every caliber. They’ll make a 243 “double deadly” if that was a thing.
They do well at close range and my brother use to drop them regularly at 300+ In 243 caliber.
I use them in 7-08.
Don’t fret
© 2024 ALDEER.COM