Aldeer.com

Semi automatic shotgun recommendations

Posted By: Woodsman42

Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 12:55 AM

As the title says, I am looking into getting a nice semi auto shotgun. I will use it for turkey hunting, potentially duck hunting and just shooting clay. I have looked into Benelli of course, mostly the M2 and SBE3.

What are your thoughts on those and any others that I should look into?

Thanks
Posted By: Rolloverdave

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 01:05 AM

I have a sbe 1 12 gauge! And a m2 in a 20 i love both of them! I’ve heard bad things about the sbe3. My buddy has sent his back twice for being not hitting where he shooting
Posted By: Rooster600

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 01:13 AM

M2

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 01:43 AM

Yeah i must say i think i am starting to get a little leery of the SBE3 based on similar comments i have read.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 01:43 AM

Franchi Affinity
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 02:03 AM

So, question I have for you is how many different ones you shot or have owned? Do you like spring guns or gas ones? There are a lot of factors to consider. Don’t discount a 10-20 year old auto if it is good shape also.
Posted By: Rolloverdave

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 02:19 AM

I own some Remignton 1100’s in both 12 and 20 and a 1187! I really like them as well but if I was gun duck hunt I wouldn’t choose them! The affinity is a very nice gun as well
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 02:31 AM

Remington 870 will be hard to beat for a duck gun. they are tough and not that pricey.

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 02:41 AM

So, I have shot a mossberg and i do have an older 1100 20 gauge youth model but it was a great deal of sentimental value to me so i dont want to drag it around on the water. As far spring or gas, I have no clue which i really would prefer. I have a friend who has a Sbe2 that I am going to shoot and see how i like it.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 03:00 AM

For a do it all shotgun in semi auto I would look hard at a browning maxus. You will probably get plenty of answers giving the nod to the m2 or sbe.. nothing wrong with either of those.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 03:04 AM

I would definitely take a look at a beretta for sure. I've got an extrema 2 that I've had for about 12 years and have not had any issues with it at all and most of those years it was duck hunted with pretty hard.
Posted By: bward85

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Forrestgump1
For a do it all shotgun in semi auto I would look hard at a browning maxus. You will probably get plenty of answers giving the nod to the m2 or sbe.. nothing wrong with either of those.

X2 on the Maxus!
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 03:32 AM

I prefer a pump for duck hunting. That's why I bought an 870 years ago when I started duck hunting.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 03:45 AM

Benelli for inertia, SX3 or maxus for gas.

Lots of other good options. Sort of a chevy, ford, Toyota argument.
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 12:54 PM

I've heard really good things about the Remington V3 and VersaMax shotguns.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 01:11 PM

Weatherby element
Posted By: Spotchaser8

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 09:33 PM

I’ve got the new Browning A5 in a 3.5” and it’s been a great all around gun.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 10:37 PM

On the lower end of the spectrum don’t overlook a Stoeger. I’ve got 2 older m2000 that are dead reliable.
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 10:45 PM

Benelli M2 is a solid classic, Remington Versamax would be excellent or for a budget the Stoeger M3000 or M3500 are a LOT of gun for the money.

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/20/20 10:55 PM

I am a gas gun guy and always have been. I shoot a 912 franchi and wish I had a couple more new in the box. That said, if I went out there right now with 1k to buy a new one I would look at the sx3, maxus, or a 3” beretta gun. Also, don’t discount an older sx2 if you can find one in good shape. I abused the hell out of one for about 5 years with no issues except a firing pin froze and that was my fault.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/21/20 03:25 PM

I have used an original Benelli SBE (H&K import) for nearly 30 years duck hunting. I don't think you need 3.5 inch capacity to occasionally duck hunt so I would get the M2.

I don't know how many rounds have been through the Benelli but it was used in a commercial hunting operation and has dispatched thousands of cripples. Thousands upon thousands. I'm afraid to put a number on it because y'all would accuse me of lying.

Best shotgun ever made. And I've owned all the rest of them right along with it. The Benelli has been the one to get treated like a rented mule. Broke ice. Dropped in lake. Found in 3" of water/mud in the bottom of the boat. Given to clients countless times when their jamomatic shotgun they brought got mud or ice in it and froze the recoil spring or maybe the weather turned the WD-40 they were using to something the consistency of honey..... and it has stood the test of time. It ain't even close to being worn out.

Best auto shotgun ever made. I'll qualify that. I'd give a Browning BPS or older 870 high marks as well.

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/22/20 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
I have used an original Benelli SBE (H&K import) for nearly 30 years duck hunting. I don't think you need 3.5 inch capacity to occasionally duck hunt so I would get the M2.

I don't know how many rounds have been through the Benelli but it was used in a commercial hunting operation and has dispatched thousands of cripples. Thousands upon thousands. I'm afraid to put a number on it because y'all would accuse me of lying.

Best shotgun ever made. And I've owned all the rest of them right along with it. The Benelli has been the one to get treated like a rented mule. Broke ice. Dropped in lake. Found in 3" of water/mud in the bottom of the boat. Given to clients countless times when their jamomatic shotgun they brought got mud or ice in it and froze the recoil spring or maybe the weather turned the WD-40 they were using to something the consistency of honey..... and it has stood the test of time. It ain't even close to being worn out.

Best auto shotgun ever made. I'll qualify that. I'd give a Browning BPS or older 870 high marks as well.

So you mentioned the M2, what is the difference between a M2 and a SBE aside from being able to shoot 3.5s? I have not found much more than that in my digging so far.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/22/20 02:04 AM

Man you got the best most versatile shotgun on the planet now in that 870 Super Mag. I'm just given ya chit, I have the same desire for a nice semi auto. I think I've narrowed mine down to a SBE2, Beretta A400, Winchester SX4 or a Franchi Affinity 3.5 unless I run across a mint Beretta a391 Xtrema 2.

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/22/20 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by just_an_illusion
Man you got the best most versatile shotgun on the planet now in that 870 Super Mag. I'm just given ya chit, I have the same desire for a nice semi auto. I think I've narrowed mine down to a SBE2, Beretta A400, Winchester SX4 or a Franchi Affinity 3.5 unless I run across a mint Beretta a391 Xtrema 2.

Theres always one in the crowd.....

Im somewhere in that list of shotguns too...
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/22/20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Woodsman42
Originally Posted by Goatkiller

So you mentioned the M2, what is the difference between a M2 and a SBE aside from being able to shoot 3.5s? I have not found much more than that in my digging so far.

Essentially nothing more than the ability to shoot 3.5 inch shells from the SBE.

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/22/20 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Woodsman42
Originally Posted by just_an_illusion

Theres always one in the crowd.....

Im somewhere in that list of shotguns too...

lol
Posted By: RIVER-MAN

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/22/20 11:46 PM

Browning Maxus or a Winchester SX 3 would be my choices with the Maxus being the top . I love mine and have had zero issues . Now if Browning started making the original A 5 again that would be a different story . Still my favorite auto of all time .
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/23/20 06:17 AM

Don’t buy before you look at a Berretta
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/23/20 03:06 PM

M2 and a400 should be at least held to see if you like the way they feel
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/23/20 03:23 PM

I just bought a Remington v3 for the same reasons. All round shotgun that shoots any load. Lightweight and lowest recoil of any 12 gauge. I'm very happy with it. Just have the right Allen wrenches if putting and optic on.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/23/20 03:39 PM

I am a Browning guy, I'm not gonna bad mouth any of them because I havent shot many other brands. I own a new er A5 (thousands of rounds thru it in 7 or 8 yrs) I also have a gold 10ga. Got a old rem 870 wingmaster. Have shot Benellis, SB1, SB2. It's all in what you want and have good luck with.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/23/20 11:16 PM

I’ve got a Super X2 in the classifieds that’d be a good fit, for a whole lot less than diving into a newer B gun. It’s a Belgian, Winchester version of the Browning Gold, with some simpler internals. The SX2-4, and Gold, Silver, and Maxus all run updated versions of the SX1 op system, which (arguably) is as good as anything gas ever done..
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/24/20 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler
I just bought a Remington v3 for the same reasons. All round shotgun that shoots any load. Lightweight and lowest recoil of any 12 gauge. I'm very happy with it. Just have the right Allen wrenches if putting and optic on.

[Linked Image]

Not to hijack the OPs thread, but have they ironed out all the issues the V3s use to have? I know when they first hit the market they had all sort of problems. My buddy bought one and had to send it off to Remington twice. I couldn’t believe how soft shooting those guns were.

Now that I think about it he may have had one of the original ones when they first came out. Versamax maybe?
Posted By: Tailwalk7

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/24/20 02:13 AM

M2
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Semi automatic shotgun recommendations - 01/24/20 02:19 AM

Most money I put aside for new Remington products, especially shotguns, usually gets spent on lotto tickets. Odds are better.

....and when any inertia auto ever made has been around 100+ years and will run in the same conditions an old Auto 5 will, then folks can start calling it ‘best’ and have a heckuva more logical argument. There’s inertia, and then there’s serious moving mass. wink
© 2024 ALDEER.COM