Aldeer.com

School me on slug guns

Posted By: 257wbymag

School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 02:23 AM

I’ve got a Remington 870 12ga SP that I can swap barrels on so tell me what all I need to know. Going on a hunt in Nov in pike co IL and figure I’d rather take a slug than ML. I’ve never done this. All my 20’s are drilled tapped with venoms on them so I’d rather just take this 12. Do I need a rifle barrel with rifled ckoke? Smooth barrel with rifled choke? All my searches leave me pretty up in the air on what to do.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 02:26 AM

Look man.....Shoot a Muzzleloader.....piss on them shotguns.....thank me later.....
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 02:39 AM

Rifled barrel with a cantelever scope mount if the gun is not tapped and good sabot slug. Lots if great slugs out there, just have to find the best one for your gun.
Posted By: burbank

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 02:41 AM

Man, I bought a CVA rifled slug for less 200 if I recall.

Had a good trigger and it was accurate.

If I was going to use that rem I would get the rifled barrel.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 02:48 AM

My Dad has a 12ga 870 with a smooth bore and rifle sights that'll stack the cheap Winchester slugs at 100 yds. I can't see the rifle sights once it starts to get dusky, though. I'm thinking about setting up one of mine with a Vortex Venom. I don't know how it's gonna turn out.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 03:01 AM

I’d vote ml. Less recoil and 200 yards is a chip shot.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 03:10 AM

My ML shoots good but they’re just a major pain in the ass.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 03:44 AM

PM to ya, Matt
Posted By: James

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 04:05 AM

Dang I'd like to take that trip 😀 I've always wanted a 12 slug gun, but figured my 450 is good enough.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 04:11 AM

I had an 870 with a rifled cantilever barrel. To get it to group, I had to blue loc-tite the magazine cap on. Most of the guys that are shonuff serious about 870 slug guns have the barrels pinned to the receiver. I couldn’t get mine to group worth a damn until I loc-tited it and shot a few boxes of cheap lead slugs through it. After that it was pretty damn impressive with Hornady SST’s. If you have barrel play to receiver they won’t group for chit.
Posted By: AC870

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 05:02 AM

That’s interesting. I had the exact opposite experience.
I borrowed a 12 ga rifled cantilever slug gun from a friend, stuck it on my gun and it was a tack driver with the Remington Sluggers and the old Remington copper solids. I made the mistake of shooting a big doe head on. It went endzone to endzone and just made a mess. It was as if you picked that deer up and slammed it on the ground.
Posted By: noble

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 05:23 AM

I have several slug guns with rifled barrels they all like different slugs. Id get 3 or 4 different kinds of slugs and shoot and see which brand it likes. .When you do find its favorite you should be able to shoot out to 200 yards with a 870.

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 10:59 AM

My Savage 220 is a fine shooting' machine! It cost me north of $500 in slugs to find what it liked....... Remington or Federal 3 inch with Barnes bullet. It will NOT group any other brand/length of slugs and I bought at least 5 boxes of everything on the market.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
My Savage 220 is a fine shooting' machine! It cost me north of $500 in slugs to find what it liked....... Remington or Federal 3 inch with Barnes bullet. It will NOT group any other brand/length of slugs and I bought at least 5 boxes of everything on the market.

That's crazy you spent equal to or greater than the purchase price just figuring out what works. Talk about finicky.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 12:23 PM

Had a rifled choke Mossberg that shot riflelike with Federals.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 02:15 PM

I don't know how to answer the question on shotguns because I have no idea what the cool kids are shooting nowadays, however, I have one you can borrow. It's an old High Standard with the barrel screwed into the receiver and it shoots good. Those were always the best shooting setups back in the day.

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by AU7MM08

That's crazy you spent equal to or greater than the purchase price just figuring out what works. Talk about finicky.

All the recommended slugs that other people get great groups with only shot a 6 or 8 inch group at 100 yards in my gun. I won’t take anything like that to the woods
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 03:46 PM

My uncle has an old H&R Ultra Slug Hunter he used to used with his dad on some public land that required slugs. I bet that gun hasn't been shot in 20 plus years. I need to break it out.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
I’ve got a Remington 870 12ga SP that I can swap barrels on so tell me what all I need to know. Going on a hunt in Nov in pike co IL and figure I’d rather take a slug than ML. I’ve never done this. All my 20’s are drilled tapped with venoms on them so I’d rather just take this 12. Do I need a rifle barrel with rifled ckoke? Smooth barrel with rifled choke? All my searches leave me pretty up in the air on what to do.
If you're gonna tote a slug gun, and this is just an every now and then hunt, don't fool with a switch barrel gun like an 870. Spend the extra couple hundred (over the cost of a barrel), buy a Savage bolt action slug gun (though most prefer a 20, I'm a much bigger fan of a 12 for deer/slugs), and be done with it. Read Shaw's post about the kind of stuff that rears its head when fooling with a switch barrel gun. Will drive you crazy and waste LOTS of money on ammo in the process. Buy a Savage 212, buy some Remington Accutip 3" (2 3/4" won't shoot as good) slugs, and go mash one out to 200 with very little headache/practice/ammo cost required. You're a big boy, have shot tons of big rifles and turkey guns, etc. and the added recoil over a 20 isn't gonna bother you as long as you have good eye relief. I agree with you that muzzeloaders aren't worth the hassle. Especially ones that don't use smokeless powder.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by AU7MM08

All the recommended slugs that other people get great groups with only shot a 6 or 8 inch group at 100 yards in my gun. I won’t take anything like that to the woods

Ya, I agree that 6-8MOA isn't acceptable.
Posted By: burbank

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/26/19 08:53 PM

My little CVA slugger shot 1-1.5 inch groups with the Remington accutips.

My plan is to get an encore 20g this time.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/29/19 05:06 AM

Savage 220.... mine only shoots Hornady. But man does it shoot them
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/29/19 01:04 PM

Rem 870 rifled barrel with accutip slugs. I've killed a pile of deer with that set up.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/29/19 01:10 PM

Savage 220.
2 3/4” Remington e tips

And get a scope with “bdc” or something u can dial.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/29/19 03:30 PM

I'd get a cantilever barre if you can use a scope and grab some of the Remington premeir slugs in 2 3/4 get a decent shotgun scope I have had good luck luck with my Nikon on mine I have killed quiet a few with a sluggun and this lil set up works purty good and iffin you don't wanna go buy a barrel I'm sure a lil swap could be made to borrow mine and I'll keep an eye on them boss bucks whilst u gone up yonder
Posted By: Dublgrumpy

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/29/19 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

257, I have no experience with this, but Hastings makes a rifled barrel for 870's I believe. From what I understand they're one of the finest around. They're made in france. I can tell you that the A5 barrel I have is great. It's called a wadlock barrel & has straight grooves in it that keep the shot charge from spinning as its fired. It does hold a good pattern. The rifled version is called the paradox(I think). It may set you back. 3 to 4 hundred, but if your serious about a slug barrel it may be worth checking on. My 2 cents worth.
Posted By: 243Win

Re: School me on slug guns - 06/30/19 09:17 PM

Savage 220 with remington accutips 3 in. I cant say enough good things about it.
Posted By: sj22

Re: School me on slug guns - 07/01/19 12:57 AM

No experience with slug guns but I gotta TC prohunter 50 caliber muzzle loader you welcome to borrow if you need it. It’s easy to clean, load and shoots great!
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: School me on slug guns - 07/04/19 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by hunterturf
Savage 220.
2 3/4” Remington e tips

And get a scope with “bdc” or something u can dial.

^^^This all day long. The Savage 220 is a great slug gun, when it’s used correctly.... whistle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: School me on slug guns - 07/05/19 10:52 PM

I have the 220F I have it zeroed in at 200 yards. Have killed out to 220 yards with it.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: School me on slug guns - 07/05/19 11:26 PM

The Savage 220 is the slug gun
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: School me on slug guns - 07/08/19 12:49 AM

Geta 220 savage and remingtonslugs if you want a good group
Posted By: 10 POINT

Re: School me on slug guns - 07/08/19 04:12 PM

This. Outstanding in 20 ga.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: School me on slug guns - 07/08/19 05:55 PM

I hate using a truck bed full of different weapons, manuals, and law books, with a lawyer on retainer. All of the different places I hunt have damnable restrictions and rules. I’ve found the Stainless 220 with Ballistic Plex scope would do it for me in 90% of the scenarios. I hate the price of slugs for it but its a top notch setup.
Posted By: nitroexpress

Re: School me on slug guns - 07/14/19 02:39 PM

Well here's my lineup of slug guns, but I must admit, with all the stories of the Savage 220 it calls to me sometimes. If I break down and answer the call, it will be the 220 and a nice Leupold on top for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 2024 ALDEER.COM