Aldeer.com

Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son.

Posted By: Bar7Mag

Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 04:50 PM

I want quality without breaking the bank. Going on an ar.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 04:53 PM

Here's what I posted in a recent thread on the topic....not sure what your budget is but you can spend a few hundred on more expensive sights, or you can spend about $100 on the setup below that will function equally as well, and use the money you saved on ammo.

I've got a Bushnell TRS-25 on a medium height riser with these flip-up BUIS from Ozark Armament. I have right at $100 invested in both combined, and all have performed flawlessly so far. The trs-25 is probably the best "budget" red dot you can get, and those iron sights are great for the price. I originally bought them just to have something on it until I could drop $100 for the Magpul BUIS set, but once I put them on, I'm going to stick with them - no reason at all to replace.

Ozark Armament BUIS

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 04:55 PM

This is the riser I bought to go with the Bushnell TRS25.......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TX2BD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 05:01 PM

Vortex is another good option. That lifetime warranty is pretty awesome.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 05:04 PM

My brother has the bushnell on his AR. For the price they are great.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 05:13 PM

Vortex Sparc-AR.

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 05:20 PM

Primary Arms allegedly makes a good (and affordable) red dot too, though I don't have first hand knowledge of it. I do know that I haven't exactly been gentle with my setup above. It spent most of the summer sliding around the back of a Ranger or on the dash of a Razr getting bumped and banged around, with no ill effect.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 05:41 PM

If you/he has an astigmatism you/he may not like a red dot. It will not appear crisp and the edges of the dot will be fuzzy. I have an astigmatism and an Aimpoint PRO. I can hit an 8" plate at 100 yards but I can't hit anything at 200. An illuminated prism scope with an etched reticle will be sharper if you have this condition.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 06:06 PM

I've used the PA red dot and liked it well enough. I like the Trijicon RMR much better. I have the RMR atop my 300blk pistol. I pulled the PA dot off my 5.56 AR and put it on a muzzleloader.
The rest of my ARs now have variable power scopes or Irons. I really like the 1-4 and 1-6x scopes for close work/hunting. You can crank them down to 1x and use them both eyes open like a red dot AND increase magnification for much farther shots. Keep in mind that the small end of red dot sizes is around 3moa on most units. Properly sighted that's 3 inches at 100 yards, 6 inches at 200. That is quite a bit of target covered by a fuzzy dot.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bambam32
If you/he has an astigmatism you/he may not like a red dot. It will not appear crisp and the edges of the dot will be fuzzy. I have an astigmatism and an Aimpoint PRO. I can hit an 8" plate at 100 yards but I can't hit anything at 200. An illuminated prism scope with an etched reticle will be sharper if you have this condition.

Ditto on the eyes. I thought I got a dud red dot. I put at a 3x magnifier on it and it really makes it crisp.

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/11/18 10:07 PM

Thanks for so much info guys. Thanks for the links gomer. I have a leupold 1-4 on my 223 ar and one on my 308 ar. This is for my son. Tough decision...
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/12/18 04:56 AM

Burris Fastfire 3
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/12/18 01:02 PM

yes, burris fastfire 3 ...
Posted By: G1Eagle

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/12/18 02:03 PM

I bought the Sig Romeo 5 a few months back. I'm very pleased with it. Comes with two mounting options. I bought it on sale for $119.

Sig Romeo 5
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/12/18 10:31 PM

I don’t care for Vortex scopes, but their red dots are pretty nice. I got a SPARC for my sons 10/22. It’s pretty nice and I have been pleased with it.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/17/18 04:11 AM

I have the vortex sparc, aimpoint T-1, and the Romeo 5. Don't spend $$$ on the aimpoint! Both sparc and Romeo are great. I like the features of the Romeo the best.

Re: Recommend me a red dot or holographic for my son. - 06/17/18 01:23 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I ordered the sig Romeo 5 and the ozark armament buis. I can't wait to try them out.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM