Aldeer.com

What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels?

Posted By: M48scout

What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/24/15 04:18 PM

I have never eaten or cooked squirrels, however my deer lease is apparently a trophy squirrel ranch, so I intend to shoot and cook some.

I have no idea what I'm doing. What are the easiest ways to get edible results without a pressure cooker?
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/24/15 06:13 PM

I ate a lot of squirrel as a kid and now don't care much for it. Wrap in bacon and grill or boil until the meat falls of and mix with rice and cream of mushroom soup.

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/24/15 06:16 PM

And my personal favorite: Squirrel dumplins

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir2.html
Posted By: M48scout

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/24/15 08:11 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/24/15 11:19 PM

Boil for 30 minutes, roll in flour and then fry in grease and a skillet. The ones old enough to vote will obviously be tougher.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/25/15 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: BowtechDan
Boil for 30 minutes, roll in flour and then fry in grease and a skillet.

That's the way I grew up eating them. Don't forget to cook the head, too.
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/26/15 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Don't forget to cook the head, too.

Damn, that hard up right there. I'm not sure I would eat squirrel filet mignon but I know I wouldn't eat a squirrel head.
Posted By: blade

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/26/15 12:13 PM

A friend of mines aunt was a model for vanity fair back in the 70's. Good looking lady, educated and world traveler. Ive watched her and his dad fight over fried squirrel heads.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/26/15 03:08 PM

If you need some help thinning them down let me know. I can always use new territory to look at. The boys get used to hunting the same land and need some new squirrels to tree.

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/26/15 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: blade
A friend of mines aunt was a model for vanity fair back in the 70's. Good looking lady, educated and world traveler. Ive watched her and his dad fight over fried squirrel heads.
Eating a squirrel head is not an attractive quality in a woman, model or no model. sick
Posted By: Dustin

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/26/15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: toothdoc
Eating a squirrel head is not an attractive quality in a woman, model or no model. sick

There's a good metaphor in there somewhere.

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/26/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: toothdoc

Don't disagree, haha.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/26/15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Don't forget to cook the head, too.

Uhhhhhh, no thanks.
Posted By: bill

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/27/15 09:13 AM

Lots of old country folks liked squirrel brain's and eggs.
Posted By: CAM

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/27/15 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: bill
Lots of old country folks liked squirrel brain's and eggs.
Momma always cooked the head course we also ate hog brains thumbup
Posted By: oakachoy

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/27/15 01:47 PM

that's just funny as hail!

My MIL gets mad if you won't cut the brains out of a doe to get them brains.

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/27/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: oakachoy

that's just funny as hail!

My MIL gets mad if you won't cut the brains out of a doe to get them brains.

Yeah, it just never seemed right.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/28/15 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck
If you need some help thinning them down let me know. I can always use new territory to look at. The boys get used to hunting the same land and need some new squirrels to tree.

Have dogs will travel lol
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/28/15 11:30 AM

My great grandad would beat my dad if he shot a squirrel in the head with a 22. I never tried them though.
Posted By: inatree

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/30/15 06:00 AM

Nothing wrong with brains and eggs!
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 01/30/15 07:49 AM

How you cook a squirrel all depends on how old the squirrel is. Old squirrels are tough as leather and need to be boiled to tenderize them while young squirrels are ready for a pot or pan right after cleaning. You'll know if you need to boil one when you skin it. If it's hard to pull the skin off, it needs to be boiled. Young squirrels sometimes pull in two when skinning because they're so tender.

When I skin and clean squirrels I leave the rear legs together and leave the back with them all the way to the bottom rib like a saddle of frog legs. There's a good bit of backstrap meat on the back. I haven't eaten a squirrel head/brains since I was a kid but there's a good bit of meat on the head too.
Posted By: BamaBuff

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 02/09/15 11:46 AM

A few years ago, a man I know got sick. He went all over the country seeing doctors, trying to find out what was wrong with him. They determined that he had something similar to mad cow disease, contracted from eating squirrel brains. It killed him, so eat them squirrel brains if you want.
Posted By: Aaron_H

Re: What is easiest/best way to cook squirrels? - 02/09/15 05:18 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/29/us/ken...els-brains.html

yeah i'd like to try squirrel brains as well, and probably would once. won't make a habit of it myself.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM