Aldeer.com

Deer Tenderloin

Posted By: SuperSpike

Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 12:38 PM

Need some advice on the best way to prep and grill a whole loin. I would appreciate any recipes or tips. Also can a loin be smoked or would it come out too dry since its lean meat? Thanks for any help.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 12:48 PM

Marinate it in Moores or Dales (low sodium) about an hour, slice a hole in the middle from end to end with a long knife. Us a piece of the large spicy sausage and fill the center cut. Lay enough bacon side by side to match the loins length, then use it to wrap the meat. Hit the smoker or grill. About 10 minutes before you pull it apply your favorite BBQ sauce. Slice in 3/4" slices. The meat will hold the sausage in place. Enjoy smile
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 01:25 PM

Very similar to Top Cat, but I do the following:
Slice the length of loin leaving about 1/4 of an inch.
Marinate in mix of dales and zesty Italian dressing.
Sliced onions and bell peppers(or jalapeņos) and then take a piece of smoked sausage and lay over onions.
Tooth pick and then wrap in bacon. You can also place some cream cheese under the onions.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 01:47 PM

Soak it for 2 days in salt water in the refrigerator.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 02:42 PM

I do it one of two ways. Either season it and cook it whole on the grill until it is medium rare (about 15 minutes at 350) or I cut steaks and butterfly them if it is big enough and cook it just like a filet.

Either way, season it like you would a steak.
Posted By: SEMINOLES

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 03:05 PM

^
This.....salt and pepper and cook it rare.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 03:22 PM

Salt, pepper and wrapped in bacon. 1 hour marinate in Allegro first if time allows. 15 minutes on the grill.

And this is the way I do it whether it's just been cut off the deer or if it's been frozen for 6 months. Never, ever soaked overnite for any reason.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 03:24 PM

Lay it on salted ice in a cooler for 10 days, letting the water drain and adding more salty ice. This helps draw out all the blood.

Cut it into steaks about an inch wide and then put back in the cooler with salty ice for another day. Open the lid and if you see any red in the meat, add more salty ice. This helps draw out all the blood.

Once all the blood is gone, get a big bowl and put in Zesty Italian salad dressing. Let it sit in the fridge for three days, but mix it up every day. This puts all the great oily, synthetic, processed and chemically-designed flavor into the meat.

Get three large cans of Cream of Mushroom and put in a Crock Pot. Remove the meat from the Zesty Italian and shake a little, and then put the sliced tenderloin in the chunky horse semen ... sorry, the Cream of Mushroom along with some carrots, potatoes, celery and onion. Add a can of water. Maybe some niblet corn.

Turn it on high until it's bubbling, usually about 90 minutes. Then put it on low for 15 hours until it's a big glob of gelatinous goo. Serve over noodles.

Or just use salt and pepper and a hot grill to get it medium-rare.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 03:33 PM

I would like to make a motion to ban anyone from this site that would adulterate any cut of venison with spicy italian dressing.

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 03:37 PM

I have never understood the desire to make deer meat taste like something other than deer meat.

Let me coat it in a bunch of stuff, stuff it with something else and then wrap it in another thing so that no one will know it is deer meat.

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 3toe
I would like to make a motion to ban anyone from this site that would adulterate any cut of venison with spicy italian dressing.

2nd
Posted By: DWRich

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 05:32 PM

Do like some of these other guys suggested. Lightly brush with olive oil and salt and pepper and grill it until rare to medium rare. I sure as hell don't take a beef tenderloin and soak it in italian dressing or add all kind of other crap to it.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 06:58 PM

I make a simple marinade:

2/3 cup olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1 or 2 CAPfuls of dales/moores (not cup fulls)
Shake in a tablespoon or so of Your choice of steak seasoning
Chopped up Rosemary if you like that

Marinade for an hour or two
Grill to medium rare (be very very careful not to overcook)
Wrap in foil to let rest and KEEP WARM
Slice into 1" steaks
Eat

Posted By: 3toe

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: M48scout
I make a simple marinade:

2/3 cup olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1 or 2 CAPfuls of dales/moores (not cup fulls)
Shake in a tablespoon or so of Your choice of steak seasoning
Chopped up Rosemary if you like that

Marinade for an hour or two
Grill to medium rare (be very very careful not to overcook)
Wrap in foil to let rest and KEEP WARM
Slice into 1" steaks
Eat

Now that right there is cooked to perfection.

You need to sling that A1 outside for the dogs. I hope you don't put that on that nice tenderloin.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 07:21 PM

I had multiple people over that night and wanted to have it available. It didn't get used much!

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 07:48 PM

I was talking about backstraps. TL just fry season and cook FAST...
Posted By: blade

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 07:50 PM

Clem, you had me going til the horse semen!
Posted By: Bowfool

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/11/14 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: top cat
I was talking about backstraps. TL just fry season and cook FAST...
I think most were referring to backstraps. It would take a big tenderloin to hold a sausage lol. There have been many times that as soon as we cut the inside tenderloins out of the deer, we throw them straight on the grill with a little seasoning. Some good appetizers right there!
Posted By: PEA_RIDGE

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/12/14 12:37 AM

IVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD THE REASONING TO HAVE STEAK SAUCE.. IF IT IS COOKED CORRECTLY NO SAUCE NEEDED IF NOT COOKED CORRECTLY THEN THROW IT OUT. SALT AND PEPPER DONE, MAYBE A LITTLE BUTTER

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/12/14 12:48 AM

Hey guys I really appreciate the recipes. Ive been at work all evening and just now able to look at all the responses. Im gona try some of these out and see how it goes. Thanks a lot!
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/12/14 01:09 PM

Ban me if needed, but there are never any "leftovers". Y'all might want me beheaded if I added to throw in some 10 count shrimp between the cream cheese and sausage laugh
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/12/14 01:25 PM

Slice into 1" steaks, fire up skillet, fry meat, once meat is rare to med rare, simmer onions in drippings and make gravy. While doing this cook biscuits. Once biscuits are done eat. Or make tenderloin gravy biscuit sammaches. Now I'm hungry.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/12/14 01:25 PM

I prefer my tenderloin cut into steaks 1"-2" thick, salt & pepper only, then pan seared in butter in a cast iron skillet on high heat until a good crust is formed, then finishing on low heat until medium rare.

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/12/14 02:06 PM

If not cooking back straps whole try this:
Cut in 3" steaks
Place in gallon freezer bag w/ inside loin facein up & down
Pound to about 1/2" thick with the flat side of a meat mallet
Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper
App 1 minute per side on HOT grill
Let rest 3-5 minutes
Can cut it with a fork
Posted By: frezznh2o

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/12/14 07:56 PM

I cut mine in about 1 inch thick little mini steaks and grill until medium rare. I dont use bacon. If you cook it until the bacon is done the loin is over cooked.

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/12/14 11:17 PM

Im gona have to kill more deer so i can try all these recipes. Hah! Thanks.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/15/14 04:54 PM

Unless you just have to grill it, my favorite is just double dipped in flour and egg wash, presoaked in buttermilk. Slice it about 1/2" thick and fry it up. Save the drippings and make a milk gravy and serve with mashed potatoes. There aint nothing better than that.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/15/14 04:58 PM

I like it fried too. I cut it in strips like chicken fingers and do like above.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/15/14 09:53 PM

Tried it for the first time as some suggested. It was fantastic!

Marinated for a little while in Moore's, butterflied, slathered a thin paste of cream cheese and brown sugar, wrapped up a Conecuh and threw it on the grill, indirect for 15 mins.

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/15/14 10:48 PM

wink
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/16/14 11:38 AM

Treat them no different than a good beef tenderloin.

Cut approx 1.5 to 2 inches steaks.

Coat in olive oil, sprinkle sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Sear on high heat, a minute per side, move to indirect until inside hits 125 degrees.

The flavor of the loins are awesome, dont kill it with marinade and overnight salt bathes!
Posted By: DWRich

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/17/14 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Thisldu
Treat them no different than a good beef tenderloin.

Cut approx 1.5 to 2 inches steaks.

Coat in olive oil, sprinkle sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Sear on high heat, a minute per side, move to indirect until inside hits 125 degrees.

The flavor of the loins are awesome, dont kill it with marinade and overnight salt bathes!

I do mine almost exactly like this, except sometimes I'll cook indoors. I'll sear them in my cast iron skillet and then transfer to the oven. I have a digital meat thermometer built into my oven. When the internal temperature reaches 125 I pull the meat out and wrap in foil and let rest. I've found letting the meat rest is one of the best things you can do.
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/17/14 02:29 PM

Yep, the rest is essential, especially for venison.

I save any juice from the rest, and heat it up with a pat of butter, and pour over the steak right before you eat it.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/17/14 03:37 PM

That like a venison bun Conecuh dog.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/18/14 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms

Marinated for a little while in Moore's, butterflied, slathered a thin paste of cream cheese and brown sugar, wrapped up a Conecuh and threw it on the grill, indirect for 15 mins.

now that looks good!
Posted By: MattIce

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 12/21/14 10:21 PM

For tenderloin not backstrap marinate 6 plus hours then grill like a steak be careful not to overcook
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Deer Tenderloin - 01/25/15 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms

Did something similar to this couple weeks ago......mighty damn good
© 2024 ALDEER.COM