Aldeer.com

Boiled eggs

Posted By: FurFlyin

Boiled eggs - 03/17/19 04:10 PM

Only reason I'm posting this is because there's probably some of you out there who are like me. I have NEVER liked boiled eggs. I grew up having to eat those rubbery things with the grey or green film around the yolk. I could stomach them deviled or used in tuna salad but I've never been able to just peel and eat one. They were like eating sulfur bombs. Some times necessity brings forth great things. I wanted a protein snack the other day and the fridge is about bare. It's been a very busy last 2 weeks here. No time to go grocery shopping. So, there was the carton of eggs. I was busy so I decided to just boil a couple. I turned the water on boil and as soon as it started boiling, I took the pan off the stove and just let the eggs sit in the water. They probably sat there 20 minutes. I came back through, ran them under cold water then peeled and sliced them in half. I have NEVER eaten an egg cooked any way where the yolk wasn't completely well done. I can't handle a runny yolk. It's a mental thing. The eggs that I boiled, the yolks were "gelled" but they weren't well done. Since I didn't like boiled eggs anyway, I decided I'd just eat them and be done with it. Wow, they were really good. The yolk was creamy, but not wet. So, in a quest to replicate the cook time I've been looking online. I decided to try some this morning by boiling them 6 minutes. They were great. My wife couldn't believe how much better they were than what we knew as boiled eggs in the past.

So.... if hard rubbery green/grey yolked boiled eggs turn your stomach, there may be hope for you with a good quality snack, just cook them less. There's as much difference in taste with them and a steak cooked well done or a steak cooked rare-medium rare.

I shoulda taken a picture.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/17/19 04:46 PM

I like them. I bought one of those little egg cookers like you see on TV. You add a little but of water to it and it takes itself for your choice of cook. You can do 14 hard or soft boiled at one time. Can also do a perfect poached eggs as well. I like it.
Posted By: bama1971

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/17/19 11:55 PM

I eat a couple every morning, whites only, little bit of black pepper
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 12:02 AM

I’ll put them on & as soon as they start to boil I cut the fire off and put a lid on the pot for 8 minutes.
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 12:12 AM

I like me some soft boiled eggs. I think I will just have to have me some as part of a meal now that you got me thinking about it. I think I'm going to make a Pho and put some eggs in it.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 01:47 AM

I can boil 'em but damn if they don't tear up when I peel 'em. My son just told me how he does it since his are always perfect. Next time I'll do some 6 minute and follow my son's method from there.
Posted By: James

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
I can boil 'em but damn if they don't tear up when I peel 'em. My son just told me how he does it since his are always perfect. Next time I'll do some 6 minute and follow my son's method from there.

Fresh eggs are also tougher to peel

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 02:50 AM

Marlon I've eaten 5 boiled eggs in the past 3-4 days. I have yet to peel on that I didn't tear up. I got close this morning by peeling one under cold running water but still tore it up a little. Please share your sons method. I know fresh eggs are hard to peel but these are store bought eggs.
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 03:06 AM

Let them get to room temp before cooking and then let them sit in ice water for 10 min after cooking and they will peel really easy
Posted By: Darrylcom

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 03:47 AM

I always put a couple tsp salt in the water when I boil them and I can’t remember ever tearing one up.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 10:43 AM

Add White vinegar to the water and they will peel easier.
Posted By: Dallas County

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 02:21 PM

I add the salt and vinegar. Put the eggs in a pot with warm water, bring to a boil, boil for 5 minutes exactly, plunge in ice water till cold (about 15 minutes). they peel perfectly and are soft but not runny. One time I tried the mason jar peeling trick. It worked real well on 3 and disintegrated the 4th. You put the egg in a jar, about two inches of water, replace the top and shake it pretty hard. Supposedly the egg shell will crack and fall off. Eggs are cheap so I guess 75% isn't bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emf76tJiAew
Posted By: top cat

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

Fresh eggs are also tougher to peel

Yep. Always use eggs that have been I thg he fridge at least a couple weeks
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 06:43 PM

Just roll them around on a plate until nearly every part of the shell
is cracked. The whole thing should peel easily. I like to splash some
Louisiana hot sauce on a plate and dip them in it.
Posted By: lances

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/18/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer
Add White vinegar to the water and they will peel easier.

Really helps with peeling. Seems like older eggs peel easier also.

My favorite is smoked eggs. Put a dozen on the smoker next time your smoking something. Really really good

I love taking boiled eggs to treestands with me.
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/19/19 12:24 AM

I bring the water to a boil then turn it down to a simmer put the eggs in for 12 mins take off and place in ice water until the ice has melted. Not hard but just moist enough where they yolkes aren’t like eating golf balls like the kind I was raised on as a kid. Forgot I do put salt in the water haven’t tried the white vinegar.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/19/19 01:06 AM

If you have an insta pot try boiling them in it. Its stupid easy to peel em.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/19/19 12:44 PM

6.5min and then straight to the ice bath is perfect for me.
Posted By: joeml18

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/19/19 02:56 PM

Next time you boil crawfish, throw a dozen or so in the pot after you remove the crawfish. However many you throw in, will be how many are eaten. You gotta crack them slightly first to let all the spices get in.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/19/19 03:25 PM

good idea joe. Also i mash my egg shell in a million pieces before i peel them. I start in the middle of the egg and work my way to the ends. Works good for me
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/19/19 05:00 PM

I just buy EB boiled eggs in the bag. Much easier and no peeling required. Cooked perfect everytime. Well I used to do that before we started this Optavia diet journey thing. Now I just look at them while I am passing by the diary isle.
Posted By: lances

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/19/19 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by joeml18
Next time you boil crawfish, throw a dozen or so in the pot after you remove the crawfish. However many you throw in, will be how many are eaten. You gotta crack them slightly first to let all the spices get in.

Sounds good

Re: Boiled eggs - 03/21/19 12:28 AM

I'll try the vinegar. The ones I've cooked still have the "skin" that's under the shell, stuck to the egg white. That's why the shell is sticking. I may not be cooling them enough.

I put a little salt in the water on the 2nd batch and they peeled a little easier but still tore one or two all to pieces.

What's a insta pot, what's an EB boiled egg?

I'll have to try the crab boil stuff. You crack them before you put them in or after they've cooked a while?
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Boiled eggs - 04/23/19 01:57 AM

We cooked a dozen in the Instant Pot last night. 1 cup of water, high setting and pressure sealed. Set timer for 5 minutes, when time is up turn to vent too release pressure. Dump eggs into ice bath until cool. Peeled very easy, cracked them on a bowl and pulled the shell off in two halves. Not 1 tore up.

Re: Boiled eggs - 04/23/19 02:05 AM

I don't have an instant pot, but I dang sure can't peel 2 without tearing one all to pieces.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM