Aldeer.com

Somking Prime Rib

Posted By: Bustinbeards

Somking Prime Rib - 08/30/17 12:26 PM

I am going to smoke a Prime Rib for Labor day. This will be the first time I have done a prime rib, anyone got tips or pointers,I was going to use pecan wood for the smoke, but do I need to marinade or rub the meat? if so what did you use
Posted By: Blackwater_Reb

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 08/30/17 12:54 PM

I've tried several different things, from store bought marinades and steak rubs to salt crusts I found on the egghead forum. My favorite is plain jane kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, minced garlic and onion powder. Combine all those ingredients, rub the roast down with olive oil and then liberally coat with your mixture. Seal it up with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge 8-10hrs. Pull it out a couple hours before you cook and let it come to room temp.

I have found the reverse sear works best to my liking. Low and slow around 250ish til internal temp in the middle of the roast is about 125. Then crank up the heat to create that outside crust. That is the part you gotta play by ear. Hard to beat when served with some good horseradish!
Posted By: straycat

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 08/30/17 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Blackwater_Reb
I've tried several different things, from store bought marinades and steak rubs to salt crusts I found on the egghead forum. My favorite is plain jane kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, minced garlic and onion powder. Combine all those ingredients, rub the roast down with olive oil and then liberally coat with your mixture. Seal it up with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge 8-10hrs. Pull it out a couple hours before you cook and let it come to room temp.

I have found the reverse sear works best to my liking. Low and slow around 250ish til internal temp in the middle of the roast is about 125. Then crank up the heat to create that outside crust. That is the part you gotta play by ear. Hard to beat when served with some good horseradish!

This X 100. It's how I do it and it is really good. Sometimes I'll also rub it with homemade herbed butter after I pull it from the smoker.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 08/30/17 06:57 PM

I like a herb crusted rub like this recipe; put on rack over drip pan to save drippings for au jus. I like to come off no later than 125 for medium rare and let it rest.
Damn good!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/dry-aged-prime-rib-roast-recipe-2012137
Posted By: cullmanbamafan

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 08/31/17 03:33 AM

I'd consider a white oak and kingsford mix for your smoke. I love using pecan but it personally does best on birds while oak, especially white oak, goes great with beef.

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 09/04/17 09:36 AM

Put the Prime Rib in a dry brine of minced garlic, kosher salt, white and black pepper at 8:00 sat night. Rolled and tied it up so it would cook consistently. Had it going since this morning, going to grate some horse radish and make some au jus. can't wait to see how it turns out!
Posted By: Bar270

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 09/04/17 09:59 AM

Looks great

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 09/04/17 11:15 AM

This is what it looked like when I pulled it.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 09/04/17 11:17 AM

Show us a slice or two............

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 09/04/17 01:00 PM

Posted By: top cat

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 09/04/17 02:21 PM

beers

What internal temp did you get. ??

Re: Somking Prime Rib - 09/04/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: top cat