Aldeer.com

How do I ...

Posted By: Smells

How do I ... - 08/14/17 07:20 PM

make a bone in venison roast tender and juicy?
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: How do I ... - 08/14/17 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Smells
make a bone in venison roast tender and juicy?

Cook it low and slow and don`t cook it past medium
Posted By: William

Re: How do I ... - 08/14/17 08:45 PM

Sear in a Dutch oven, then braise it until done. My favorite to do this with is the neck roast.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: How do I ... - 08/14/17 09:22 PM

Wrap in bacon to add fat and help retain moisture. Cook low and slow and take off as soon as your internal temp reaches what you want. It will only dry afyer becoming cooked through .
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: How do I ... - 08/14/17 10:04 PM

Cook it in the crock pot while you're at work.
Posted By: tbest3

Re: How do I ... - 08/14/17 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

^^ me and the wife were just talking earlier, gonna drop a roast in the crock pot before I head out Wednesday morning. Fine eatin'.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: How do I ... - 08/15/17 12:07 AM

Injecting it with butter or bacon grease helps also. The problem is that it has no fat in the muscle to keep it moist and tender.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: How do I ... - 08/16/17 09:51 AM

Posted By: Thisldu

Re: How do I ... - 08/18/17 09:27 AM

You can all the above, but before that brine it is a salt/sugar/water solution for at least 24 hours, preferably longer.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: How do I ... - 08/18/17 09:47 AM

osso bucco. google it and follow recipe. one of the best.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: How do I ... - 08/18/17 01:47 PM

Mix you up a package of Au Jus and Ranch Dressing with a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and 1 cup of Beef Broth.

Sear the roast on high heat after seasoning with just salt and pepper.

Throw it in a crock pot with a stick of butter, taters, onions, and carrots and garlic cloves and cook it for about 6-7 hours.

Remove from pot and add a couple of tablespoons of corn starch to about 1/4 cup of the juice, mix it together then pour it back in pot.

Re: How do I ... - 10/03/17 10:49 PM

I did this once and it came out tasting like chalk. It got tossed because it was inedible in my opinion. Obviously I did something wrong but I'm not sure what.

Re: How do I ... - 10/03/17 10:51 PM

I do fine with steaks, country fried back strap, burgers, and I can make a kick a$$ stew but I just haven't figured out the roasts yet.
Posted By: dnolen

Re: How do I ... - 10/04/17 12:33 AM

We smoke ours. Make a bacon basket to cover the top. Rub roast in your favorite rub. Place basket on top fill with hot pace picante put on smoker til meat reaches 160. Feed the bacon to someone you want set on fire.
Posted By: Bar270

Re: How do I ... - 10/04/17 07:14 PM

All of these are great ways to cook it
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: How do I ... - 10/04/17 09:25 PM

The way i cook my deer roast in in a crock pot with taters and carrots with onion soup mix and a stick of butter. Cook on low until it's about medium and turn the crock pot to warm and let sit for several hours. It's much juicer and tender.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: How do I ... - 10/05/17 06:49 AM

First thing is to get all silver skin off the roast. Pour a little dales over it. Squeeze some lemon over it. Add garlic,onion,creole, and black pepper to taste. Lay strips of bacon over the roast. Cut large onion medallions and cover the top of the roast. Put it in a pan that will hold some au jous cause you gonna have some that you gonna want to drink. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in a 350 degree oven on middle rack and cook till internal temp is 140 degree's. I like to baste a couple times during the cook. I've been cooking them this way for 30 years and everybody loves them and can't believe its deer meat. Make sure when you take it out of the oven, you let it rest for about an hour before slicing it. Make damn sure you slice against the grain of the meat. This is a common mistake and why some seem's tough. Pour some au jous over it and eat with cooked carrots, tatters, and whatever else you like. WARNING: It will smell the house up and you will be sitting there like a crack addict waiting on your dealer. If your hungry when you start cooking it, you'll be in agony waiting for it to get done. Good Luck
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: How do I ... - 10/05/17 10:28 AM

If you've got a clean muscle group roast (not a lot of tendon, etc), I really like to smoke to 155 deg, let rest for 15 min and slice. I don't brine it, maybe just put some seasoning on it before I smoke it. Turns out delicious, juicy and when sliced thin makes great sandwiches.
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: How do I ... - 10/05/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: muzziehead
Mix you up a package of Au Jus and Ranch Dressing with a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and 1 cup of Beef Broth.

Sear the roast on high heat after seasoning with just salt and pepper.

Throw it in a crock pot with a stick of butter, taters, onions, and carrots and garlic cloves and cook it for about 6-7 hours.

Remove from pot and add a couple of tablespoons of corn starch to about 1/4 cup of the juice, mix it together then pour it back in pot.

Exactly what I do except I don't add any butter or beef broth, and thus I guess I don't need to thicken it with cornstarch, never done that. It's the easiest and best way to cook a deer roast I've found in 20+ years of screwing around with different recipes.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM